Young Indy on DVD

Matinee Idyll

Heh, I'm alittle surprised (and I wouldn't put it past crazy George) that he didn't cut the River Phoenix segment out of Last Crusade, stick it in the Young Indy series as Utah, 1912 or whatever, and then hire another actor to film another 30 minutes of footage and attach it to another episode.

Would've been quite amusing!

OhioJones

ResidentAlien said:
craiglw9.jpg

Ahhh, the smell of defeat, gentlemen. Smells pretty rank, eh? Due to the poor quality of the media player on YoungIndy.com, I couldn't pause the video on the EXACT frame, this is a few frames behind...

....but this should be adequate proof. As I pointed, slightly parsed lips, facial hair, and a higher collar than the CR picture. :whip:

Wow! You got me!

Who would have thought (you would obviously).

Cool, I was wrong.

LawgSkrak

My question is:

Are these going to be on the DVDs in chronological order? Meaning, from Volume 1 through 3? Not some 9 yr old Indy and teen Indy on all 3 volumes.

Adamwankenobi

LawgSkrak said:
My question is:

Are these going to be on the DVDs in chronological order? Meaning, from Volume 1 through 3? Not some 9 yr old Indy and teen Indy on all 3 volumes.

Correct. These aren't like the James Bond sets.

Major West

ResidentAlien said:
....but this should be adequate proof. As I pointed, slightly parsed lips, facial hair, and a higher collar than the CR picture. :whip:

Yes indeed. Although all of those changes could have been applied to the other image in photoshop. Although now we have this new picture we know they weren't, but they could have been.

LawgSkrak

Adamwankenobi said:
Correct. These aren't like the James Bond sets.

Well, that's good, I guess. I just wish Lucas would actually release things the way they aired on television for a change, instead of splicing things together into movies.

I'm STILL waiting for the Ewoks and Droids cartoons to get a proper release, not those hack jobs that they released a few yrs back.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
New interview with Lucas...

"He is sort of like Forrest Gump with a whip... The main thing I was really after was to see how many shows I could get done before they woke up and said enough is enough."

Adamwankenobi

LawgSkrak said:
Well, that's good, I guess. I just wish Lucas would actually release things the way they aired on television for a change, instead of splicing things together into movies.

I'm STILL waiting for the Ewoks and Droids cartoons to get a proper release, not those hack jobs that they released a few yrs back.

Quoted for truth.

LawgSkrak

Why in gods name are they splicing episodes together in reverse order? Disc four's ep, I think it is, the second half technically takes place before the first half.

What in gods name is Lucas doing?!?

And the first episode, Cory Carrier looks and sounds like 2 years older during the second hald then he does in the first.

This is just shoddy. Don't know if I want this set anymore. It's the Indiana Jones version of Ewoks: The Haunted Village and Droids the Pirate and the Prince. (Both of which I avoided like the plague.)

Grizzlor

LawgSkrak, the editing of episodes was not done for the DVD. These were re-edited and ordered back in the late 90's. Following the end of the series that is. Lucas had reshot segments during the initial filming of The Phantom Menace. I agree that when he started lumping together two completely separate one hour eps. together, it really looked bad. Regardless, he should have kept the bookends on the DVD as extras, and included some cast interviews or commentary. Instead he spent millions on documentaries. Brilliant.

Flannery10

Did you guys realize any other changes made to the episodes? I mean from the re-edited versions to the DVD version? Just curious.

Adamwankenobi

LawgSkrak said:
This is just shoddy. Don't know if I want this set anymore. It's the Indiana Jones version of Ewoks: The Haunted Village and Droids the Pirate and the Prince. (Both of which I avoided like the plague.)

Lucas actually re-edited those at the same time he did the Young Indy series (circa 1996). The difference is that with Droids and Ewoks, he didn't edit the entire series, only his favorite episodes.

In my opinion, the new format for Droids and Ewoks really tries to make them something they are not. Each "movie" takes four episodes from one of the series and tries to make them feel like animated movies. But they still feel like four seperate episodes strung together. I've wanted the complete uncut series of each on DVD for years. And this Young Indy release doesn't make such a release very likely.

LawgSkrak

Yeah. I can't wait for the live action SW series to come out on DVD, with all the episodes spliced together to make movies.

BARF

Adamwankenobi

LawgSkrak said:
Yeah. I can't wait for the live action SW series to come out on DVD, with all the episodes spliced together to make movies.

BARF

The next time Lucas is interviewed by the press, I would absolutely love it if someone had the balls to ask him something like this:

"So, Mr. Lucas... with the new live-action series, why don't you just go ahead and edit all the episodes as 'movies' the first time around, since we all know you will anyway for the DVD release?"

:whip:

gallandro

My quick review of the Young Indy Vol 1 set... I'll post a more in depth review later:

Picked up the set Tuesday.... FANTASTIC! Great transfers, clean and detailed with vibrant colors, which is great considering the show was shot on 16mm.

Amazing volume of extras. Now bear in mind the documentaries included are geared toward educating kids and getting them interested in history, so they are not exactly super in-depth. But they are well made and will give kids some insight into the episode they just watched. The interactive features on the Bonus Disc are just insane, Lucas really outdid himself... great stuff.

Now some observations: WOW I've forgotten how good this show was, even the early episodes starring Corey Carrier. Carrier is a solid child actor and really holds his own against the adults. The shows are well scripted, well directed, and have outstanding production values. Having said that, Young Indy is not going to be everyone's cup of tea... no fistfights with Nazis or mad Indian cultists, no boulder death traps. Nope Young Indy is more of a coming-of-age show about the events of the early 20th Century which shaped OUR lives.

Yes the Old-Indy bookends are gone... frankly I could care less. For those that claim Lucas is again indulging in revisionism of his work I would suggest you look at what was happening to the show back in 1992-93. By the second season ratings were dropping off precipitously, and in an effort to revitalize the show Lucas and ABC presented three episodes as big TV event "movies" on Sunday night. Those episodes were "Young Indiana Jones and the Mystery of the Blues", "Young Indiana Jones and the Scandal of 1920", and "Young Indiana Jones and the Phantom Train of Doom". The third season would have kicked off with yet another two-hour movie, "Young Indiana Jones and the Hollywood Follies" which aired on the Family Channel.

So it's clear Lucas was moving AWAY from 1 hour episodic television, and moving toward the "made for TV movie" format. Ultimately this mish-mash of 1 and 2 hour episodes would make packaging for syndication difficult. So either you cut the 2 hour episodes in half and create new bookends, or you drop the original bookends and put two 1 hour episodes together as a movie. Ultimately I would like to see the Bookends included as a bonus feature on the final disc set, as well as the original opening credits... we'll see.

Just a note on the first disc movie "My First Adventure," which includes the episode "Egypt, May 1908" and the unaired "Tangier, 1908". Tangiers was actually shot years after the first episode, so Corey Carrier is OBVIOUSLY much older. In fact Lucas shot the sequence which bridges the two episodes in 1997 in Tunisia while shooting TPM. But the Tangier episode is very good... a pretty frank look at slavery in the Middle East, which gets a little dark toward the end... good stuff.

One of the things that has really struck me, having not watched the show in quite a while, is just how good Lloyd Owen is as Indy's dad. Solid actor with great comic timing. He's especially good in "Travels with Father".

My favorites from this set are Vienna 1908 which is part of "Perils With Cupid" and England 1916 which is part of "Love's Sweet Song". Both of these episodes were very well written and directed, and the performances were top notch. In fact, I would even venture to say England 1916 is one of the most well written hours of episodic television I've ever seen. Elizabeth Hurley and Sean Patrick Flannery are exceptional in this episode, and their brief affair feels very genuine.

Also, Princeton 1916 from "Spring Break Adventures", is a favorite and is a great light hearted mystery in the vein of Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

So glad I picked up this set... now I can't wait for Vol 2... bring on the War Years!!!

Yancy

Michael24

I'm sure the educational documentaries are in-depth and well-made, but why is it there are no documentaries, interviews, commetaries, etc. about the show itself? Like a "The Making of Young Indiana Jones" or something like that? I was a little disappointed to see that all the bonus features are geared towards historical elements of the time periods the episodes take place in rather than some about the making of the show. :(

gallandro

I suspect that would be on the final disc set if they include them. One thing I found interesting, if you look here:

Young Indy Video Clips

You'll notice the interviews with Lucas and McCallum do not appear to have been created by Movieweb, they look like they were done in house by Lucasfilm. They lighting schemes and settings are identical to their interviews on the Star Wars and Indiana Jones Trilogy DVDs.

I suspect these interviews, and others will appear in the final set.

Yancy

Stoo

gallandro,

Great videos! I appreciate the link and also your DVD review.
Good stuff...Yes, Lloyd Owen is excellent as Henry Sr. and
you're more than right about the Hardy Boys feel to the
Princeton episode. Too much to say!

Welcome to The Raven!:whip: