How did Indy lose his eye?

Stoo

No, it has never been explained but if Indy IV is eventually made,
I'm hoping this would become part of the story. Here's my take:

You can see in George Hall's makeup that there is a 6" vertical gash
down the right side of his face. To me, it looks like a large cut from
a knife or perhaps even a sabre wound. I figure this would have
probably happened around the late 1950's.

In my personal Indy world, losing the eye would make him retire from
the "adventure business" and eventually turn him into the indignant,
rambling, tall-tale-telling, old man from the series (like it or not).

Great question - Welcome to The Raven, Hawkangel! :whip:

Hawkangel

Well, it couldn't happen in Indy IV. Remember how Harrison Ford made a cameo as a 50-year old Indy in a leter episode of Young Indy?
He didn't have an eye-patch then, so obviously it hadn't happened, yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular episode happened AFTER the movies.
Maybe Lucas wants to go back and digitally put the eye-patch in when the DVDs come out. :)

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Hawkangel said:
Well, it couldn't happen in Indy IV. Remember how Harrison Ford made a cameo as a 50-year old Indy in a leter episode of Young Indy?
He didn't have an eye-patch then, so obviously it hadn't happened, yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular episode happened AFTER the movies.

Indiana Jones turned fifty on the 1st of July, 1949.

Stoo

Hawkangel, it's a good bet that Indy IV will take place AFTER the segment
in "Mystery of the Blues" which was set in 1950 (yes, after the movies).
This is why I said that he probably loses his eye in the late '50s.

IndyBuff

I know it seems weird but I've never really considered this question before. Maybe Indy IV will reveal this or maybe not, but it's fun to speculate nevertheless. Perhaps if some new official Indy novels are released they might explain as well.

Hawkangel, welcome to The Raven!:whip:

moondrifter

me, flossie sequin, and brodyisdead are writing a collaboration story invovling how he loses his right eye. check it out on the fanwork and activities board: the curse of the chinese whisperer.

MikeArizona

i know how

Indy is seeking the ark of suburbia, he wonders into a back yard... hears a noise picks up a rifle he sees on the ground takes aim and fires... ohh know it was a red ryder official beebee gun he shot his eye out!;)

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
MikeArizona said:
Indy is seeking the ark of suburbia, he wonders into a back yard... hears a noise picks up a rifle he sees on the ground takes aim and fires... ohh know it was a red ryder official beebee gun he shot his eye out!;)
"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

To answer the posed question as to how Indy lost his eye the answer is easy. He ran with scissors.

Last edited:

Ray Delark

It's cool for a lot of reasons.

IAdventurer01 said:
Because it looks cool, duh! :rolleyes:

:p

Yes, I have enjoyed thinking of this too. That patch is an interesting aspect of the Chronicles, and of Indy. It's cool for a lot of reasons. It adds a mysteriousness. It foreshadows great possibilities, for the great adventurer. What is behind it? And I agree with you, when did he start using it? It's also adds to the coolness of Indy, the hero, partly because it's cool to look at. Young, old, or in his prime Indiana Jones is always the coolest and the greatest adventurer and hero. :whip:

Ray Delark

But what's the story?

There's just got to be a spectacular story behind it, which is yet to appear, and not a domestic accident...

Rivers

I always thought it would be funny if he did it as an old 80 year old man on an adventure he shouldnt have been on, trying to be young again.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
roundshort said:
half the time he thinks he is a priate
He was looking for his earring in the vacuum nozzle when the cat jumped on the switch.
(I hope Ford lost that earring. I don't want to see the hole sagging open.)