How did Indy lose his eye?

Twilightpro101

IndiRama Jones said:
Yes, I have enjoyed thinking of this too. That patch is an interesting aspect of the Chronicles, and of Indy. It's cool for a lot of reasons. It adds a mysteriousness. It foreshadows great possibilities, for the great adventurer. What is behind it? And I agree with you, when did he start using it? It's also adds to the coolness of Indy, the hero, partly because it's cool to look at. Young, old, or in his prime Indiana Jones is always the coolest and the greatest adventurer and hero. :whip:

I agree with this wholeheartly and it's such a great visual touch to the character.

Viper

Indy was pretending to be a pirate, when a barrel of toxic waste poured onto his face. He quickly dove into a lake to get it off of his skin. One of his eyes was ruined, but the eyepatch saved the other. Duh.

Adamwankenobi

I wouldn't expect Lucas to explain why Indy loses his eye in Indy 4. I say this because of Lucas' attitude toward his other famous franchise.

In Star Wars Episode III, Anakin Skywalker is seen with a scar on the right side of his face. At a convention in 2005, a fan asked Lucas how Anakin gets the scar. Lucas replied "Ask Howard [Howard Roffman, president of licensing for Lucasfilm]. I mean, I think he [Anakin] slipped in the bathtub, but he's [Roffman] not going to tell anybody that."

HovitosKing

A wicked knife slash that left a big scar and took out the eye. Like the one sported by Tony Montana in "Scarface." Probably lost it at the hands of the Nazis, the Commies, or the Hovitos on a later adventure. :whip:

Canyon

IndiRama Jones said:
Yes, I have enjoyed thinking of this too. That patch is an interesting aspect of the Chronicles, and of Indy. It's cool for a lot of reasons. It adds a mysteriousness. It foreshadows great possibilities, for the great adventurer. What is behind it? And I agree with you, when did he start using it? It's also adds to the coolness of Indy, the hero, partly because it's cool to look at. Young, old, or in his prime Indiana Jones is always the coolest and the greatest adventurer and hero. :whip:

IndiRama, very nicely said!!! (y)

Dr. HenryJones.jr

HovitosKing said:
A wicked knife slash that left a big scar and took out the eye. Like the one sported by Tony Montana in "Scarface." Probably lost it at the hands of the Nazis, the Commies, or the Hovitos on a later adventure. :whip:

Yes, correct!!! Probably is from the Comics, I think I have some read...

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Nothing like a little subliminal advertisement for collabrative writing, eh BID? I'll add to it soon, but this week is going to be hell for me so I won't till next weekend unless I get a stroke of genius.

sarah navarro

Stoo said:
Hawkangel, it's a good bet that Indy IV will take place AFTER the segment
in "Mystery of the Blues" which was set in 1950 (yes, after the movies).
This is why I said that he probably loses his eye in the late '50s.

that eyepatch looks hard core but i dont like it (n)

IndyJr.

Hawkangel said:
Well, it couldn't happen in Indy IV. Remember how Harrison Ford made a cameo as a 50-year old Indy in a leter episode of Young Indy?
He didn't have an eye-patch then, so obviously it hadn't happened, yet.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that particular episode happened AFTER the movies.
Maybe Lucas wants to go back and digitally put the eye-patch in when the DVDs come out. :)

Mystery of the Blues, Harrison scene takes place in 49... I beleive Indy IV takes place around 1957 or 58 or 59. It's 10 years before Indy IV.

The_Minority

actually the mystery of the blues segment with ford takes place in 1955! And supposedly Indy IV is going to be in 57 so I'm all for him losing his eye in the IV film! Great way to tie into the series!

Don Karnage

wouldnt it be fitting for him to lose it in some twist of irony?

like trimming the hedge or something?

(i like the 'youll shoot your eye out' bit though :gun: ;) )

(we need an eyepatch indy smiley)