How did Indy lose his eye?

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
I'd be willing to put money on it being yet another reference to John Ford.

Yes, that seems very likely.

As for losing it in the new film, I doubt very much that that will happen. They're under no obligation to change the film to fit in with a sh*t TV show.

No Ticket

I hate that old Indy segment for the following.

1.) He doesn't look anything like Harrison would in his old age.

2.) He doesn't SOUND anything like Harrison. His voice is high and not the lower gruffness. I know it's a different actor and all that but his voice wouldn't be THAT different.

3.) The eye patch is stupid. How tragic would it be to see Indiana Jones lose an eye in IV? I don't want to see that!

4.) The Young Indy Series (of which now I've watched a little of) sucks. I don't think it should tie into the films at ALL. The films should exist on their own as the REAL story of Indy. All those Young Indy episodes, even the one with Harrison back as Indy pail in comparison to ANYTHING from the films. Not to mention the way they were shot (the cameras or whatever) makes them look cheesy or cheap or something.

Bahhh... I really hate the Young Indy series.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
No Ticket said:
I hate that old Indy segment for the following.

1.) He doesn't look anything like Harrison would in his old age.

2.) He doesn't SOUND anything like Harrison. His voice is high and not the lower gruffness. I know it's a different actor and all that but his voice wouldn't be THAT different.
It's the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, not the Young Harrison Ford Chronicles.

No Ticket

VP said:
It's the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, not the Young Harrison Ford Chronicles.

I know, I know... but it takes me out of believing it to be Indiana Jones because I'm one of those "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones" guys.

peterlally

Do you know what bothers me and its really wierd it does. In the Mystery of the Blues, the Harrison Indy has a beard and a scarf. Although its really cold and those two things would be useful, I cant see the Indy of Fate of Atlantis having a beard, which i weird because you would think the Indy of the Films having a beard would bother me more, I don't think i'm making any sense....:confused:

Major West

Seeing as George Hall was removed from the Indy Chronicles, it's probably safe to assume that he and the eye patch are no longer necessarily 'canon'.

Grizzlor

Major West said:
Seeing as George Hall was removed from the Indy Chronicles, it's probably safe to assume that he and the eye patch are no longer necessarily 'canon'.

Unfortunately, you're probably right.

He didn't lose his eye, he had a fish cornea transplant and the eye patch is there while it heals! Sort of like the plastic cone they put around a dog's neck so it won?t re-injure some surgery...;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Indy's Fist said:
Are the George Hall scenes even canon anymore?

Well, they haven't been released for years, so there's a strong case for "no." But ultimately, a big part of Indy canon (like any fandom's canon, from Sherlock Holmes onward) is deciding what to accept and what not to accept. Which version of Shihuangdi's tomb? Which version of the Hall of Records/Omega Book? The Staff of Aaron or the Staff of Kings? And just how many Interior Worlds or Hollow Earths are there? Oh, and when did that Wu Han guy show up?

To say nothing of the crazy Marshall College/Barnett College issue.

Crack that whip

If the question concerns the official Lucasfilm stance (if any), my guess is that they want the leeway or option to declare them apocryphal if some future project requires it, but that at the present they don't feel the need to do so.

As I understand it, they were dropped not because George Lucas decided Indy's life goes differently from what's depicted in the bookends, but simply because Lucas and the show's other makers (notably Rick McCallum) decided the segments simply didn't "work" as part of the narrative presentation (that is, all the stuff we see and hear onscreen). That doesn't mean they don't happen, but just that they're not part of the (current main version of the) show.

I think the segments are therefore considered part of the official canon, unless and until Lucas / Lucasfilm decides to specifically omit them from it for one reason or another - say, releasing an Indy story where Indy dies sometime prior to the early '90s, or lives to that point with two good eyes, or reaches that point without getting any new family members beyond Marion and Mutt.

Gear

Attila the Professor said:
But ultimately, a big part of Indy canon (like any fandom's canon, from Sherlock Holmes onward) is deciding what to accept and what not to accept.

But are the likes of canon material up to the individual recipient to judge or is there a higher power, a secret society, that governs what is and is not?

Last edited:

Hans

My idea is that the show added it to make indy look better. But maybe they should include it into on of the movies.
:whip:

Either it will be explained in Indiana Jones 5 or it could be something unrelated to adventuring, old Indy is supposed to be in his 90's, maybe something happened to one of his eyes that is old age related. Personally I don't want to see Indy get a permanent injury like that in Indiana Jones 5, I know it will make his character seem more human instead of invincible but a big part of the Indy films is that he gets injured but in the end he always recovers.