How did Indy lose his eye?

Stoo

chicago103 said:
Either it will be explained in Indiana Jones 5 or it could be something unrelated to adventuring, old Indy is supposed to be in his 90's, maybe something happened to one of his eyes that is old age related.
Hey, chicago103, I maintain that this is definitely an injury due to contact with a sharp edge.

Scar.jpg

chicago103 said:
Personally I don't want to see Indy get a permanent injury like that in Indiana Jones 5, I know it will make his character seem more human instead of invincible but a big part of the Indy films is that he gets injured but in the end he always recovers.
The loss of his eye wouldn't necessarily put him completely out of action (ex. Rooster Cogburn). Indy survived his chin scar, afterall!:p Seriously though, if there ever is another film, I WANT to see him get cut in the face!:eek:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
^ Stoo wants to see BLOOOOOOOD!!!

Maybe Indy lost his eye like Elle Driver ala Kill Bill Vol 2. :p Now that's a nasty way to lose your eye!

From the keeper of The Indycron

Q:How did he lose the eye -- adventuring, diabetes, fork mishap, or what?

A:Hasn't been determined, though back in 1992 George Lucas responded to the question by saying "That's possible!" Of course, with the "Old man Indy" (played by George Hall) segments cut out of the VHS releases, the official continuity of older Indy has been in limbo.

Stoo

Violet Indy said:
Stoo wants to see BLOOOOOOOD!!!
Yes! Neither "Crusade" nor "Skull" show Indy injured/hurt. It would be great to fianlly see him in some real pain.
Rocket Surgeon said:
A:Hasn't been determined,...
What a cop-out answer by Mr. Leland Chee (not the status of the bookends but the loss of his eye). It's OBVIOUSLY a WOUND! Sometimes, you just have to wonder...

Rocket Surgeon said:
They dropped the ball years ago. They "forced" Kenner into the IJ toys and they did the same with Hasbro. There was no real thought behind the line. Some of the stuff was cool but when you put out an Indy figure suffering from Strabismus what do you expect. Crap in/crap out.

Mickiana said:
Strabismus?!!! Is that really true? That's a hoot! Didn't Indy end up in an eye patch sometime? I seem to recall reading it somewhere. If so, maybe the eyepatch was to treat the strabismus!!

Lol! Finally we have the answer to the whole eye patch ordeal! Indy wears his eye patch because of a Hasbro Voo Doo Curse!:hat:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
What a cop-out answer by Mr. Leland Chee (not the status of the bookends but the loss of his eye). It's OBVIOUSLY a WOUND! Sometimes, you just have to wonder...

I agree about it clearly being a wound (as indicated by the huge scar that runs down that whole side of his face, through the eye area), but in fairness I think it's safe to say the exact cause of this hasn't been determined. We don't know whether it came during one of his many altercations with adversaries (and if so, exactly what weapon inflicted it - rapier? Dagger? Board with a nail in it? :eek: ), or was attacked by some animal (unlikely, since there's a single scar line and not the set of parallel tracks one might expect claws to leave, but still within the realm of possibility), or even just a pure accident. Given Indy's general lifestyle, I imagine it'd likely be something more "adventurous" than, say, being put through a windshield by a drunk driver, but there's really no telling.

I think Mr. Chee's answer is just ruling out disease and the like. It certainly has to have come about from some physical trauma, but that still encompasses a wide range of possibilities.

Deckard

Perhaps we could find an expert on edged weapons and have him look at the scar in the picture.

He may be able to say the shape and depth look like something particular or just that its a random scar.

While Lucas may have thought, "Hey he'll lose an eye in a sword fight," In reality it's also possible Lucas just loosely said to the makeup guy that he wanted an eye missing and left it upto the makeup guy just how to go about it and if their would be a scar or not.

While the adventure thing is a nice thought, it could also be as simple as he was in a car accident with no saftey belt.

Crack that whip

Deckard said:
While Lucas may have thought, "Hey he'll lose an eye in a sword fight," In reality it's also possible Lucas just loosely said to the makeup guy that he wanted an eye missing and left it upto the makeup guy just how to go about it and if their would be a scar or not.

Oh, certainly. While I do think Lucas wanted a scar, I don't think he had anything specific in mind for how Indy was supposed to have gotten it; I think he was more interested in just suggesting further adventures beyond what we see in the movie era, without having any particular intention of saying what those adventures actually were or how he got the wound.

I do know that while it was George Lucas' idea for Indy to have the scar, he let the actor, George Hall, pick which eye would actually get the patch (since George Hall had two good eyes, of course, and could've worn it on either the left or right), which suggests Lucas wasn't too fussy about the matter.

Deckard said:
While the adventure thing is a nice thought, it could also be as simple as he was in a car accident with no saftey belt.

Yup.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The fact that Old Indy has a scar and an eye missing reminds me of another Lucasfilm character who had a great big scar in that area of the face, though he didn't lose his eye (though he did lose other parts, lol). :p

Now for a long time, we didn't know how that scar got to be till the Clone Wars animated series (not the CGI one, the other anime style one). Oh wait, I don't think they show how he gets that scar either.

But isn't it strange? Two major characters in two different franchises from Lucasfilm, have similar scars. Hmmmm....

Deckard

In certain cultures scars are symbols of glory or overcoming a battle or adventure. Especially in cultures surrounded by war. I suspect Lucas is applying that same level of warrior status to Indy and Anakin. Both were soldiers more or less and lived their lives surrounded by conflict, WWI and 2 to Galactic Civil Wars.

Crack that whip

Hans said:
What he was live in the 90's (duh) but how old does that make him:confused:

I don't entirely understand you, but if you're just asking how old Indy is, it's simple enough to figure out. We know when he was born - July 1st, 1899. That would put him in his early-to-mid-90s at the time of his appearance in the "bookends" from the TV series (and make him 110 now, if he were a real person and still alive).

Stoo

How Indiana Jones Lost His Eye - Part 1

How does Indy lose his eye?:confused: Like this...
SabreWound_A.jpg

Coming Soon: The aftermath...:eek:

AnnieJones

Eww!:eek:
Gross!:eek:
Creepy!:eek:
Yuck!:eek:

But your right,that's probably how he lost his eye.(y)
It's the only thing that makes sense.

Last edited:

Stoo

SabreWound_A.jpg

AnnieJones said:
Eww!:eek:
Gross!:eek:
Creepy!:eek:
Yuck!:eek:

But your right,that's probably how he lost his eye.(y)
It's the only thing that makes sense.
Either that scenario or Indy met up with Remy again and they got into an argument over the Eye of the Peacock. In an inexplicable RAGE, Remy attacked Indy with a MEAT CLEAVER and took out his eye!:eek::p

Crack that whip

Good God, Stoo, that's one hell of an image! :eek: You don't hold back, do you? What have you got against our beloved Indy, anyway? :p

That said, I've occasionally myself envisioned how he'd get the wound, though I've always pictured it being done with a vertical slashing (or slicing :eek: ) movement, rather than the move you've pictured, with a chopping motion, but one never knows until it happens (and in one of George's productions, even after it's been put on screen it's always subject to change... :p ). I think it's safe to assume we'd never see it depicted so explicitly in an actual Indy production - it'd be off-camera, or in shadow, or with Indy facing away from the audience or something like that.

That's assuming it'll ever be addressed at all, of course, which I doubt will happen, but you never know. Like you, I actually would like to see it come up in that hypothetical Indy V - perhaps not with the directness of your image sequence, mind you :p , but at least enough to establish when and how it takes place (and, of course, to enhance support for the "Old Indy" bookends in the canon ;) ). I kind of think that even if they do make a fifth movie (hardly a sure thing to begin with), it's kind of unlikely The Beards would want to give Indy such a serious and permanent wound in the course of the adventure (but as I said, you never know...).

In the eyepatch thread over in Collecting Indy (I'd have thought it should go in Indy Gear and Props, myself, but never mind), I see you mention the facial similarities between George Hall and Harrison Ford (in how much their features line up when you superimpose one's image over the other). I've actually always noticed this myself; I've long thought that of the three non-Ford actors who regularly played Indy on the Chronicles, Hall was the one who bore the most resemblance to Ford, once you allowed for the age difference (though oddly, I've never sought out images of the younger Hall from earlier in his career to see how close he looked; perhaps I should...).