Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy

Junior Jones

Years ago, Indyfan.com had an article up called the Young Indy that Could Have Been. It was by a production assistant who had worked on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the article listed some episodes that had reached some level of development but had never been filmed. There are supposedly dusty, old script drafts of these eps somewhere in the Lucasfilm archive.

The page isn't up at Indyfan.com anymore, but luckily I printed it out and its at home in my folder of fanfic ideas.

Stoo

Wow! Very interesting. I'm assuming these others are from the same list?
I know Le Havre was mentioned in the show but wasn't aware there was a
planned episode.

Le Havre - June 1916
Berlin - Late August 1916
Moscow - March 1918
Bombay - April 1919
Buenos Aires - June 1919
Havana - December 1919

Thank you very much for the information, Junior Jones!

BrodyIsDead

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The summaries you read are about all that exists, that I've seen. I don't even know if they were scripted. Looks like they wanted to add a 5-year-old Indy, and team twentysomething Indy with Belloq.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Most of the stories were scripted, there were even a few that had scenes already shot for 'em. Then Lucas got word that they had been canned. Oh, well, that's show biz.

Raiders90

Unfilmed

Those unfilmed episodes of the Young Indy Chronicles sound really really interesting. I hope Lucas films them someday. The series ends very anticlimatically with a crappy episode, before we see Indy make the change from the YIJC Indy to the Indy of ToD, which is what we would've seen in these episodes:

December, 1920: On break from school Indy travels to Honduras on a search for the famous crystal skulls. Indy befriends a fellow young Archaeology student named Rene Belloq (who will become one of his greatest enemies). Belloq steals a crystal skull and sells it. (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones ? Unfilmed episode.)

While in Honduras the local authorities accuse Indy of being a graverobber rather then an archaeologist. Indy would latter claim that the newspapers greatly exaggerated the incident. (Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom / Conjecture.)

June, 1921: On summer vacation from school Indy travels to Alaska to study Eskimo culture. Indy ends up having to rush medical supplies by dog sled to save a village. During this adventure Indy learns how to use a Bullwhip and decides to adopt it as part of his adventure gear. (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones ? Unfilmed episode.)

December, 1921: Indy teams up with Rene Belloq to find a lost city in Brazil, along the way they meet Charles Fawcett. (The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones ? Unfilmed episode.)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
If Lucas wants to put edutainment in front of kids, he should skip tv and give the scripts to Dark Horse comics.

MissDefense

Yeah,there were some interesting episodes written but never got to film them,the show was cancelled.
In the timeline you mention there are some mistakes anyway. The Russia episode was actually filmed,and the Mystery of the blues happens in 1920 not 1916.

Edit: my mistake the 1909 Russia was a new one.

Adamwankenobi

Lucas should take these unfilmed stories and have a group of talented authors novelize and/or comic... ize them like he did his unfilmed Willow stories which he had Chris Claremont turn into a trilogy of novels. :D

Matinee Idyll

I'd love for them to get Flannery back after Indy IV (not sure how old he looks now) and film a couple more episodes... Particularly if there are Raiders/Ark connections in Indy 4.

"Had the series been renewed for a third season, Young Indy would have been introduced to younger versions of characters from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981): Abner Ravenwood ('Jerusalem, June 1909') and René Belloq ('Honduras, December 1920'). Other episodes would have filled in the blanks between existing ones ('Le Havre, June 1916', 'Berlin, Late August, 1916'), and there would even have been some adventures starring a five year old Indy (Including 'Princeton, May 1905')."

oki9Sedo

Matinee Idyll said:
I'd love for them to get Flannery back after Indy IV (not sure how old he looks now) and film a couple more episodes... Particularly if there are Raiders/Ark connections in Indy 4.

"Had the series been renewed for a third season, Young Indy would have been introduced to younger versions of characters from Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981): Abner Ravenwood ('Jerusalem, June 1909') and René Belloq ('Honduras, December 1920'). Other episodes would have filled in the blanks between existing ones ('Le Havre, June 1916', 'Berlin, Late August, 1916'), and there would even have been some adventures starring a five year old Indy (Including 'Princeton, May 1905')."

Seeing as Flannery is is older than Harrison was when he did Raiders, he couldn't exactly do that.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Adamwankenobi said:
Lucas should take these unfilmed stories and have a group of talented authors
...write the Indy 4 script? Sounds like they did, And next summer we'll pay to watch scraps from what would have been season 3...
Jerusalem, June 1909 - Indy meets Abner Ravenwood looking for the Ark on the temple mount.
Honduras, December 1920 - Indy meets Belloq and they become friends. Belloq steals a crystal skull and sells it.
Brazil, December 1921 - Indy and Belloq meet Charles Fawcett to find a lost city.

metalinvader

What a shame the Belloq and Abner episodes were never filmed.I wonder if Marion would have appeared in the Abner episode?