Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
No scripted unfilmed episode from 1926? Damn. No Marion otherwise

Last edited:

Raiders90

The Lost Episodes

The "Lost Episodes" of the YIJC (Jerusalem 1909, Honduras 1920, Brazil 1921) are, at least in my opinion, the "Holy Grail' of the Indiana Jones series. For me, if these had been produced, the world of Indiana Jones would be complete.
My question is to you: Do you think we'll ever see these stories in some form?

vf wing

I believe Indy will return to the small screen at some point, probably via an animated series. There was too much unfinished business from the first time around for Lucas not to return to it. In animation, he has no real restrictions, so he could conceivably visit Indy in any era, jumping around his chronology... much like the first show and to some degree Clone Wars.

I'm really "jonesing" to see his early encounters with Belloq. Not to mention what he was up to during WWII. Perhaps some closure with Short Round or a new adventure with Remy. There is soooo much storytelling potential, it would be a tragedy not to give us these chapters!

LostArk

I always wanted to see these episodes ever since I learned about them. Lucas should start focusing on the Indy EU more.

Lance Quazar

They really should have done the Belloq episode - or brought him into the fold in some form - in one of the TV movies after the show's cancellation.

SUCH a missed opportunity!!!

phantom train

vf wing said:
I believe Indy will return to the small screen at some point, probably via an animated series. There was too much unfinished business from the first time around for Lucas not to return to it. In animation, he has no real restrictions, so he could conceivably visit Indy in any era, jumping around his chronology... much like the first show and to some degree Clone Wars.

I'm really "jonesing" to see his early encounters with Belloq. Not to mention what he was up to during WWII. Perhaps some closure with Short Round or a new adventure with Remy. There is soooo much storytelling potential, it would be a tragedy not to give us these chapters!

Hopefully IJ will return at some point in an animated format, preferably telling stories that start off where the YIJC series ended (i.e., Fall 1920-on). I also think that the only way a new IJ TV show would work would be in an animated format at this point - SPF is too old to portray IJ in his early 20's, and I don't think having another actor in that role would work.

Stoo

I'm not really big on fan fiction but did enjoy the stories by Junior Jones in his thread, Lost Tales.
Maybe one day he'll get around writing the Jerusalem/Abner one.;) I have a lot of good info and
images for that particular "lost" episode and have been working on a cover graphic. Looking for a
good photo of a young, Wilford Brimley (because of Hugh Fleming's interpretation of Abner).
Anyone got one?

It would have also been great to see "Alaska, June 1921" because I think that is supposed to be
the point where he adopts the whip after using it on his dog-sled adventure.:whip:

Junior Jones

Stoo said:
I'm not really big on fan fiction but did enjoy the stories by Junior Jones in his thread, Lost Tales.
Maybe one day he'll get around writing the Jerusalem/Abner one.

Thanks for the mention, Stoo. Eventually I'd like to do all the lost Chronicles stories, including the Belloq and Abner adventures. I've done some preliminary research for Jerusalem, but there are some historical inaccuracies/conflicts that need to be worked through.

Raiders112390 said:
The "Lost Episodes" of the YIJC (Jerusalem 1909, Honduras 1920, Brazil 1921) are, at least in my opinion, the "Holy Grail' of the Indiana Jones series.

And that makes them the most daunting to tackle in fan fiction. It's easy to write about the time Indy met Harry Houdini, but Indy's first encounter with Belloq is something most fans will have a strong opinion about.

BrodyIsDead said:
Hi, everyone :D
I've stumbled across an Indy timeline on the net at:http://forums.nightly.net/lofiversion/index.php/t20757.html
and on this it mentions "unfilmed episodes" of the Young Indy TV series.
I've never read anything about these before - can anyone help a fellow Raven patron out by pointing me in the direction of a book or website that might expand on these "lost" episodes further?
:hat:

-------------------------

www.findthemissingreel.com

www.cgallan.blogspot.com

I haven't checked out the links on this thread, but here's one you might like:

http://www.starwars.com/community/news/films/f20080407/index.html

Stoo

In another thread, Tash asked:
Inexorable Tash said:
As described, Laird Malamed's episode assignment sheets tally pretty well with the above - anyone notice any interesting discontinuities?
I've spotted 2 differences.

Laird Malamed: "Berlin, late August 1916"
Pablo Hidalgo: ---not listed---

Laird Malamed: "Moscow, March 1918"
Pablo Hidalgo: "Moscow, July 1919" (but later lists it as July 1918)
(Because of the historical events involved, July 1918 would be the correct/most fitting date.)

Laird Malamed's notes are from August 1992
Pablo Hidalgo's info comes from 8 February 1993

For more conversation on the unfilmed episodes.

Ideas for a new season of Young Indy
The Other Stories - Canon?
The Lost Episodes
Missing Episodes?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Stoo, I rolled those last 2 threads into this one (even though that can mess with some people's subscribed threads...) Last year's StarWars.com article is excellent. Here are their detailed unproduced episodes. They should draw a few to round out a potential YIJC comics omnibus!

#37 "Princeton, May 1905"
Indy is five years old, and he and his friends have a funny, charming adventure that begins with Indy organizing an event to raise money for a vase he has broken, culminating in a search for buried pirate's treasure and the capture of some hoboes who are wanted by the police.

#35 "Geneva, May 1909"
Indy meets Henri Dunant, the elderly uncle of a friend, who tells him the story of the Red Cross. While on a mission to visit Louis-Napoleon in Italy to ask his assistance in a business deal, he views Louis-Napoleon and the Austrians in battle. Going across the battlefield to meet him, he sees the carnage and stops to help, the original mission forgotten. He looks for the hospital tent, which has been blow up, along with many medical people trying to save lives. Dunant formulates a plan for a neutral organization that would take care of people after a battle and would have a recognizable symbol for hospitals and medical personnel. After much work, Switzerland agrees to sponsor a conference composed of European leaders, and the Red Cross is formed.

#33 "Jerusalem, June 1909"
Indy visits Jerusalem. His father goes off on a separate trip to visit Crusader castles. Indy is disappointed to be left behind, but Abner Ravenwood, an archeologist, invites Indy to spend time with him. Indy meets Montague Parker, who offers to let Indy work at his dig. Parker is secretly searching for the Ark of the Covenant but needs a map of the ancient tunnels, which Ravenwood has. Parker talks Indy into "borrowing" the map, which shows that the Ark is below the Temple Mount. He and his men, disguised as Arabs, enter the temple and begin excavating, but are discovered. The temple keeper brings a large mob of locals, which chases Parker's group of out of the city. Ravenwood explains to Indy that the Ark is not believed to be under the Temple Mount, but elsewhere, and someday a real archaeologist will find it.

#30 "Stockholm, December 1909"
In Stockholm, Indy and his parents attend the Nobel ceremony honoring the writer Selma Lagerlof. Indy falls asleep and enters a fantasy where he is only five inches high and rides around on the back of a goose getting into a series of ecological adventures with several types of wild animals.

#36 "Tokyo, April 1910"
Indy visits Peers School in Tokyo, where his father is teaching. He meets a Samurai instructor, who will teach him the ways of Japan. They discuss the importance of education and information about Japanese society. On a trip to the coast, Indy meets a local fisherman and discusses the mystery of the ocean. Indy meets young Hirohito (age 10) and explores tide pools with him; they talk about interdependence of species. Indy and Hirohito go whale-watching and have an encounter with a shark; the Samurai exhibits bravery in saving them.

#38 "Le Havre, June 1916"
Indy and Remy are at basic training in the Belgian Army at Le Havre, France. Their sergeant is a very tough, nefarious character who gives all the men a difficult time, but he is particularly abusive to Indy, which angers Remy. At the end of training, the men are celebrating and drinking at a bar, and the sergeant is later found dead. Remy is charged with his murder. Indy defends him at his court martial.

#41 "Moscow, July 1918"
Indy is working in French Intelligence in Moscow on the eve of the Allied invasion at Archangel in North Russia. He is assigned to assist Sidney Reilly, who is working with counter-revolutionaries to try to destabilize the Bolsheviks from within. Indy encounters Rosa, whom he met in Russia in 1917; she is also working with Rielly. Indy and Reilly have dangerous encounters with the Cheka (a special commission to deal with counter-revolution) in an attempt to rescue a general who has been arrested. Reilly has a secret plan unknown to the British, French and Americans to take over Moscow, but Lenin is then shot, and all the conspirators must flee for their lives. Rosa helps Indy escape.

#43 "Bombay, April 1919"
Indy and Remy, on a stopover from New Guinea, are in Bombay, broke and down-and-out. While Remy continues to search for clues to the treasure, Indy stays with an old friend of the family (famed Indian poet Rabindranath Tagore), who gives him a job translating a book of Gandhi's. Indy hears Gandhi speak and eventually meets him at his ashram near Bombay. He witnesses riots as a result of the general repression, and he hears of the massacre by the British at Amritsar. Indy and Remy have a disagreement over continuing to look for the treasure, as Indy wants to return to college. Indy learns first-hand the price of violence.

#44 "Buenos Aires, June 1919"
Trying to board a ship from France to New York, Indy is robbed and beaten and ends up on a ship to Argentina. He decides to earn money as a tutor to get money for his passage to America. He meets a young Argentine man who makes his living as a tango dancer, and tutors him in English, the arts, history, etc. In exchange, the boy teaches Indy the tango. The dancer is in love with a young woman whose father thinks he will never amount to anything, and Indy helps him solve the problem. In turn, the dancer helps Indy pursue an Argentinian woman to whom he is attracted.

#45 "Havana, December 1919"
Indy, a freshman at the University of Chicago, gets a request from his father to spend Christmas with friends in Havana. Indy meets Cristobal Torriente, and they become friends. The story revolves around an exhibition baseball game where a white American team (which includes Babe Ruth) comes to play an integrated Cuban team. Indy learns about racism in the U.S. National Leagues. During the game, Cristobal gets the chance to play against Babe Ruth. However, he knows his dream of playing in the Major Leagues will not be realized, even though he outplays Ruth.

#48 "Honduras, December 1920"
Indy is on a field trip with art historian Herbert Spinden at Mayan ruins in Honduras. They first arrive at a Honduran port and meet some Banana Republic types before they start. Indy meets Belloq for the first time, and they begin a friendly relationship. They travel to the ruins of a Mayan city, and Indy and Belloq try to decipher Mayan hieroglyphs at the ball court, as well as discussing possible rituals and sacrifices. They discover a perfect crystal skull, which Belloq steals and sells to Frederick Mitchell-Hedges, a British adventurer.

#49 "Alaska, June 1921"
Indy is on an expedition with his professor, an American anthropologist, to study Eskimos in a region east of Nome near the Arctic Circle. There they meet Nellie Cashman and Dr. Joseph Romig. Indy meets the villagers, gets to know them, learns about sledding and the care of the dog team, goes on a hunt with them, and learns about their customs. The villagers are stricken by a contagious disease, and serum must be rushed to them by dog sled so that they can be inoculated.

#50 "Brazil, December 1921"
Indy and Belloq go on an adventure with Charles Fawcett to find a lost city in the jungle of the Mato Grosso region of Brazil. The trek starts in Bahia, and they come across a group of American confederates living on a plantation there, witness rituals of the Candbomble religion, and encounter fierce Indians in the interior. Indy and Belloq are captured, and they separate in their escape attempt. Indy has an adventure that relates to the lost city.

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Of these, the two I wish were adapted in some way are:

"Jerusalem, June 1909"
"Le Havre, June 1916"

The first because it's such a tie to the films, and the second because it's an implied story in the series but never seen. The later episodes with Belloq would be cool, but parts of the story were adapted for KOCS so would *now* seem themselves derivative.

From the other list, I'd love to see "Berlin, late August 1916" because I enjoyed that plot arc, although I'm not sure the episode would have been particularly memorable. Watching Indy escape is always fun, however.

Lance Quazar

It just kills me that they weren't able to do the Belloq episodes.

They should have made it an imperative to include Belloq in the post-series movies. He would have been perfect for "Peacock's Eye."

CRAP!!!

Stoo

Moedred said:
Thanks Stoo, I rolled those last 2 threads into this one (even though that can mess with some people's subscribed threads...) Last year's StarWars.com article is excellent. Here are their detailed unproduced episodes. They should draw a few to round out a potential YIJC comics omnibus!
Thanks to you, too, Moedred!:hat: I would love to see these in comic form. (Heck, if they won't be used in any official capacity, I'd collaborate with Junior Jones and do some.);)
Stoo said:
I'm not really big on fan fiction but did enjoy the stories by Junior Jones in his thread, Lost Tales. Maybe one day he'll get around writing the Jerusalem/Abner one. I have a lot of good info and images for that particular "lost" episode and have been working on a cover graphic. Looking for a good photo of a young, Wilford Brimley (because of Hugh Fleming's interpretation of Abner). Anyone got one?
Here's a ROUGH, UNFINISHED look. The guy with the hat is Montague Parker, the other man is Walter Juvelius (who is not mentioned in the synopsis but would most likely be part of the story). I've found a few pictures of a younger W.Brimley for Abner but they aren't very good. This is the one I want to see MOST of all!

1909_June_Jerusalem.jpg

InexorableTash said:
Of these, the two I wish were adapted in some way are:

"Jerusalem, June 1909"
"Le Havre, June 1916"

The first because it's such a tie to the films, and the second because it's an implied story in the series but never seen. The later episodes with Belloq would be cool, but parts of the story were adapted for KOCS so would *now* seem themselves derivative.
Le Havre is mentioned in "London" before he goes but the only time it's talked about after the fact is in "Northern Italy" and there's nothing really about the story. Are you referring to the events in Flanders that are discussed in the "Somme" episode, Tash? That's a different story. Jerusalem is also mentioned in "Peacock's Eye"! Aaaargh!

Re: "Honduras" episode w/Belloq.
If you think about it, the diner conversation in "Skull" essentially negates the crystal skull element of the story, which is unfortunate (although, that could be worked around).
InexorableTash said:
From the other list, I'd love to see "Berlin, late August 1916" because I enjoyed that plot arc, although I'm not sure the episode would have been particularly memorable. Watching Indy escape is always fun, however.
#?? "Berlin, Late August 1916."
This was to be a third part in the Somme - Germany cycle following Indy's capture in Somme, through his escape from prison and to his then his escape from Germany itself. Indy has to decide between returning to the US (since we are not at war with them yet) or returning to the Belgium Army - which he does. The main character from history is Sigrid Schultz. (Laird Malamed/Micah Johnson notes)

Looking at the missing numbers between #38-#41 from Pablo Hidalgo's list, "Somme" and "Germany" fill the gap leaving no room for "Berlin". Perhaps it was abandoned early on?:confused:

It probably would've been one of the more mellow episodes and perhaps another love story. Sigrid Schultz was only 23 at the time, studying history and law at the Berlin University and a likely candidate for some more romancing from young Indy (that smoothie). One thing we do know about what happens after the bicycle escape in Germany is described by Old Indy in the bookends. "I ran across the German countryside as though the Devil, himself, were on my tail. At last I spotted this lovely farmhouse among the hills..."

schultz.jpg
180px-WHS_Image_ID_48643.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Stoo said:
One thing we do know about what happens after the bicycle escape in Germany is described by Old Indy in the bookends. "I ran across the German countryside as though the Devil, himself, were on my tail. At last I spotted this lovely farmhouse among the hills..."
That's an homage to the Last Crusade draft ending, before the "named after the dog" conversation was placed there instead. It concludes simply:

Brody: "We have no water. Can we make it back before the heat of midday?"
Sallah: Yes. If we ride like like the devil himself was on our tail."
Indy: "And maybe he is."

I think young Indy in South America (Buenos Aires, Honduras, Brazil) is impossible. Abner and Belloq episodes could have been monumental, or they could have been desperate. The two comics I'd like to see drawn as single issues and inserted into an omnibus are
Le Havre, June 1916
Somme, Early August 1916 (Trenches of Hell, no comic)
Germany, Mid August 1916 (Trenches of Hell, no comic)
Berlin, Late August, 1916
Verdun, September 1916 (Demons of Deception, 2-part comic)

Edit: and at the end of Le Harve, Old Indy's grandkids could say "aw, you're just retelling stuff you watched Monday nights on ABC!" (In the way comic book characters shamelessly plug twinkies and so forth.) So he points the remote and says "fine, ya got me, let's watch "Trenches of Hell" to see what happens next!" :)

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
Re: "Honduras" episode w/Belloq.
If you think about it, the diner conversation in "Skull" essentially negates the crystal skull element of the story, which is unfortunate (although, that could be worked around).

I'd thought of that myself, although I don't think it's so much of a problem with the actual movie; I believe it's more of an issue with the novelization.

I noted the issue myself in one of my little attempts at contributing to the Indiana Jones wiki, here:

Me said:
An unproduced episode of The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles was written for the show's third season that would have featured the Mitchell-Hedges Skull and helped strengthen the ties between the TV series and the movies. In this planned episode, Indy was to have his first encounter with René Belloq while the two were archaeology students in university together, and they would discover a crystal skull while on an archaeological field trip in Central America. In the story, Belloq steals the skull and sells it to Mitchell-Hedges, thus igniting both the legend of the Mitchell-Hedges skull and the years of rivalry between Indy and Belloq. The novelization of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull appears to preclude the possibility of the events of this episode having taken place; during the diner scene in which Indy discusses the skull with Mutt, the narrative specifically describes the skull as having been found by Mitchell-Hedges in 1926, and even notes that Indy "had been trying to get a peek at the skull for years" but had been rebuffed. The actual film, however, is less specific in relating the skull's history, with Indy mentioning simply that he and Harold Oxley had been obsessed with it in college (and later noting that Oxley's carvings of the Crystal Skull of Akator on the walls of his room in the Nazca sanitorium were clearly not of the Mitchell-Hedges skull). This suggests the film continuity (if not the novel) is compatible with that of the unproduced episode, though it doesn't offer any specific support for it.

When writing this I went back and checked out both the movie and novel presentations of the diner scene and everything it had to say about the Mitchell-Hedges skull, and found the movie account - in my humble opinion :hat: - really doesn't preclude the events of the planned episode (or what we know about it, anyway) from happening, though unfortunately the novel certainly does.

Last edited:

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Le Havre is mentioned in "London" before he goes but the only time it's talked about after the fact is in "Northern Italy" and there's nothing really about the story. Are you referring to the events in Flanders that are discussed in the "Somme" episode, Tash? That's a different story.

Ooops! :eek: Yes, I was thinking of Flanders. Huh... now why was I thinking *that* was a documented-as-unfilmed episode - previous conversations here?

Stoo said:
Looking at the missing numbers between #38-#41 from Pablo Hidalgo's list, "Somme" and "Germany" fill the gap leaving no room for "Berlin". Perhaps it was abandoned early on?:confused:

Likely. We're talking about snapshots in time of something that changed a great deal.

Just as long as Stockholm 1909 is never made, I can sleep soundly. ;) (I've attended a reception in the current Nobel ceremony venue, and it's a nifty place, even when filled with geeks.)

Stoo

Moedred said:
That's an homage to the Last Crusade draft ending, before the "named after the dog" conversation was placed there instead. It concludes simply:

Brody: "We have no water. Can we make it back before the heat of midday?"
Sallah: Yes. If we ride like like the devil himself was on our tail."
Indy: "And maybe he is."
Extremely interesting, Moedred. It seems likely like this was an homage to the abandoned line (or a forced inclusion) but one can't rule out the possiblity that it might have a been a freak coincidence. (I never noticed the similarity before...Nice catch!:))
Moedred said:
I think young Indy in South America (Buenos Aires, Honduras, Brazil) is impossible. Abner and Belloq episodes could have been monumental, or they could have been desperate. The two comics I'd like to see drawn as single issues and inserted into an omnibus are
Le Havre, June 1916
Somme, Early August 1916 (Trenches of Hell, no comic)
Germany, Mid August 1916 (Trenches of Hell, no comic)
Berlin, Late August, 1916
Verdun, September 1916 (Demons of Deception, 2-part comic)
I'd like to see that, too. From your implied impossibility of those particular missing episodes, is it because:
Buenos Aires, June 1919: Doesn't jive with the new "Princeton 1919" from "Winds of Change"? Do you feel there is not enough time in the summer to fit it in?
Honduras, December 1920: See below
Brazil, December 1921: Because of the events in MacGregor's "IJ and the Seven Veils" novel?
Moedred said:
Edit: and at the end of Le Harve, Old Indy's grandkids could say "aw, you're just retelling stuff you watched Monday nights on ABC!" (In the way comic book characters shamelessly plug twinkies and so forth.) So he points the remote and says "fine, ya got me, let's watch "Trenches of Hell" to see what happens next!" :)
Ha ha. Yeah, I could picture something like that happening.:)
Crack that whip said:
When writing this I went back and checked out both the movie and novel presentations of the diner scene and everything it had to say about the Mitchell-Hedges skull, and found the movie account - in my humble opinion - really doesn't preclude the events of the planned episode (or what we know about it, anyway) from happening, though unfortunately the novel certainly does.
Hmm...With all due respect, Crack, I disagree.:hat:

Mutt: ...Hodgekiss? Hedgekiss? The one he found.
Indy: The Ox and I were obsessed with the Mitchell-Hedges skull in college...

If "Honduras" happened, then Indy could have said something like, "Mitchell-Hedges didn't find it, kid. I did...along with a *friend* of mine..."

Then there's this line.
Indy: There are a number of crystal skulls in the world and I saw one in the British Museum...

He saw "one". (I saw that crystal skull last year and, although it has the same dimensions as the M-H skull, it's all one piece and doesn't have a separate jaw bone like the Hedges one.) The fact that he admits to only seeing "one", negates the events in Honduras (but the Indy-geek in me can find ways to circumvent this contradiction;)).

Also, I'm not so sure that Indy & Belloq met at university. According to the synopsis provided by Pablo Hidalgo, it seems as though they first met AFTER Indy arrived in Honduras.
Inexorable Tash said:
Ooops! Yes, I was thinking of Flanders. Huh... now why was I thinking *that* was a documented-as-unfilmed episode - previous conversations here?
Could be. Note that the Wiki claim of the "Flanders" and "Melbourne" episodes being "confirmed by other sources" is BOGUS.

Speaking of "Stockholm", I read your posts about going there but had nothing to add. Cool that you visited Sweden! I've never been there and the "Stockholm" entry would have been strange (for sure) but I'm curious to see what the final product could've looked like.:p