Unfilmed episodes of Young Indy

lairdo

Following up on my comments about Berlin 1916

Hi all,

I finally found my Young Indy file back from my time at LucasFilm. Apologies if this is already online, but I didn't see it in the thread. This is the description from the season 2 notes of YI. The document is dated 8/3/1992.

Episode 25
Title, Berlin, Late Aug 1916
Indy's age 17
Subject: Commitment and Social Involvement
Character: Sigrid Schultz
Theme: Can one stand on the sidelines of history?
Indy has escaped from the prison at Ingolstadt and is on the run from the Germans. Because he is hungry, he quietly enters what he thinks is a German road-mending gang. The men are loaded on a truck, and Indy discovers they are British prisoners of war who are being taken to a POW camp in Berlin. Indy is discovered during a roll call and convinces the officers he is a double agent. He is driven into Berlin and from there tries to escape, but he comes across a nefarious character who says he will help him with papers and is attacked, beaten up, and left unconscious. He makes his way to a soup kitchen, where he meets two American girls, one of whom is a journalist. The girls tend to his wounds and suggest that he contact the American Embassy, which could get him to Rotterdam. Indy first plans to return home but has feelings about abandoning his fellow soldiers at the front and ultimately decides to make the commitment to stay.

That's the only story summary I have of an unfilmed episode that isn't already listed on this thread.

Laird

lairdo

New York 1905? Utah 1910?

Besides finding the Berlin description posted in the last entry, I saw this tidbit in my episode list: New York, July 1905. This is from a list dated December 19, 1991 "Master Chronology". It notes that the story had yet to be written. (By this, I think it means the actual story content - the script was a step after that.)

None of my later lists include this episode, so I guess it was dropped early on.

But it gets better. Here are the others that were on this list but which I have never seen anything further about. Perhaps others are aware of these though?

Feb 1910 - Tibet
Mar 1910 - Peking
May 1910 - China Sea
July 1910 - South Pacific
Aug 1910 - Utah
Sep 1910 - Princeton
(Tokyo and Australia (as June 1910 not March) are on the list too but those are more well known)
There are no locations given for Oct - Dec 1910 presumably because the 3 year tour ended in Sep 1910

For Teen Indy, the following dates have no locations noted
Jan 1916
Apr 1917
Jun 1917
Sep 1917
Oct 1917 (Beersheba is listed as Nov)
Dec 1917
Feb - May 1918
Jul - Aug 1918
Oct 1918 - Apr 1919
June 1918
Oct 1919 - Dec 1919
Feb 1920 - April 1920
Aug 1920 - Dec 1920
1921 isn't listed
Numerous of those dates got filled in - like Hollywood in Aug 1920

Ok, and now the last of the good stuff - the new locations (as far as a I know):

Feb 1917 - Paris (although I think some of these events are part of Austria now)
Sep 1919 - Chicago - presumably Indy meeting Eliot and his first bit of school
(Cuba is listed as July 1919 not Dec 1919)
Jan 1920 - Peru

All of these were in the stories not written yet category.

Much to speculate upon!

Laird

PS One more tidbit - Frank Darabont was going to write Bombay 1919

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Laird, this is fantastic stuff. I'm not one of the Young Indy experts around here, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they make of it.

The inclusion of Utah 1910 is interesting...wonder how long they had that little house.

AnnieJones

I'm so happy,lairdo,that you are here to shed some light with whatever the heck happened to those episodes.Thank you for your insight.(y)

lairdo

I really wish I knew more. But we can make up some stuff too and have fun with the missing episodes. They must have been cut early on because none of my later lists had them. But Indy had to be somewhere, right?

Montana Smith

Thanks for sharing all that info, larirdo.

Intriguing dates are New York July 1905 (that's very early, and would suggest an actor younger than Corey Carrier) and Peru January 1920 (Peru being a significant location in Indy history).

lairdo

My pleasure in sharing.

Regarding New York 1905, I assume the original plan was to film this with Princeton 1905 and the same actor. The bit I remember about Princeton (and I think is posted here or on the Wiki somewhere) is that Indy ends up on top of his house or some kind of crazy adventure. I think the homage was going to be to the Little Rascals, and I assume that NY would carry that over into the big city. But those are guesses.

Peru in 1920 would have been great. I hope they consider a live action or animated show with Indy in his 20's between college and Doom. There is a lot of great things that he could experience.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
One thing to do, I suppose, and we know that they did this when they were planning the series, is figure out what was going on in each of those places at those given times. Figuring out <I>who</I> was there could be a bit harder, of course.

And that still doesn't change the fact that we don't have places for the 1916-1920 ones.

Junior Jones

lairdo said:
The bit I remember about Princeton (and I think is posted here or on the Wiki somewhere) is that Indy ends up on top of his house or some kind of crazy adventure. I think the homage was going to be to the Little Rascals...

Cool! That is exactly the vibe I got from this description:
#37 "Princeton, May 1905"
Indy is five years old, and he and his friends have a funny, charming adventure that begins with Indy organizing an event to raise money for a vase he has broken, culminating in a search for buried pirate's treasure and the capture of some hoboes who are wanted by the police.

So I used it in my version here and based Indy's friends on Our Gang/Little Rascals characters.

As to the rest of Laird's list, it looks like they planned for the potential of one episode per month. The unwritten episodes without even a location are likely just placeholders so that it's clear which months are already used and which are still open.

It's odd that Australia is listed as June 1910. If, as Indy claimed in Daredevils of the Desert, he flew in Australia with Harry Houdini, it has to be March for historical accuracy. Either Melbourne in early March or Sydney later in the month. Houdini was back to the US by June. (I did a lot of research on this when I wrote Melbourne 1910).

lairdo

I think back when the list I was quoting was written, they may not have even known the Houdini part yet. I think also they were challenged with having a reasonable flow of Indy and his parents around the globe.

Haven't read your fan fiction yet, but I look forward to digging into it.

Stoo

lairdo said:
I finally found my Young Indy file back from my time at LucasFilm. Apologies if this is already online, but I didn't see it in the thread. This is the description from the season 2 notes of YI. The document is dated 8/3/1992.

That's the only story summary I have of an unfilmed episode that isn't already listed on this thread.
Laird. Laird. Laird. THANK YOU a 1000 times over for these EXCLUSIVES! There is too much to comment on so I?ll approach your revelations bit by bit (otherwise my post would be longer than a Tolstoy novel!:eek:)

In case you missed it, we talked about the Berlin episode on page 3 (& I posted some photos of Sigrid Schultz) but the information you've just given contains MUCH MORE detail than what was previously known. The old info from c.1996 (which, I believe, came from you ? but condensed by someone else) contains only a few lines of description . Do you have any other plot outlines that are more elaborate than what is already out there? (If so, please post them one at a time because my head is about to explode, Belloq-style!:eek:)

As for the extra dates, etc?Truly, excellent material. THANKS AGAIN!:hat:
lairdo said:
Regarding New York 1905, I assume the original plan was to film this with Princeton 1905 and the same actor. The bit I remember about Princeton (and I think is posted here or on the Wiki somewhere) is that Indy ends up on top of his house or some kind of crazy adventure. I think the homage was going to be to the Little Rascals, and I assume that NY would carry that over into the big city. But those are guesses.

Peru in 1920 would have been great. I hope they consider a live action or animated show with Indy in his 20's between college and Doom. There is a lot of great things that he could experience.
Have you read the novels, Laird? They cover that missing time period and I recall Lucas saying something about the portrayal of those years was not on his agenda (at the time). Wish I could remember where I read that?

Re: Princeton 1905
In Pablo Hidalgo?s article, he writes: ?Note: Had this episode entered production, it would have required casting a new, younger Indy. Though this story was not produced, the idea of Indy being friends with Paul Robeson resurfaced in the bridging material of the broadcast version of Travels with Father, and a new episode created as a conclusion to the Winds of Change.?

I?ve always felt that the opening scenes of ?Curse of the Jackal/My First Adventure?, w/Corey Carrier & his gang, were a glimpse into the 1905 adventures. Plus, in the new footage of ?My First Adventure? we see Toddler Indy on his roof. Maybe this is a remnant of the idea? Don?t recall ever reading about a rooftop in connection with Princeton 1905 but perhaps I've missed something?

Attila the Professor said:
Laird, this is fantastic stuff. I'm not one of the Young Indy experts around here, but I'm looking forward to seeing what they make of it.

The inclusion of Utah 1910 is interesting...wonder how long they had that little house.
Yeah, perhaps this would have shed some light as to why Henry Sr. & Son eventually moved to Moab. It would have been fun to possibly see tubby, Herman in 1910.
Attila the Professor said:
One thing to do, I suppose, and we know that they did this when they were planning the series, is figure out what was going on in each of those places at those given times. Figuring out <I>who</I> was there could be a bit harder, of course.
To quote Harrison: ?Here?s where the fun begins??(y)
Junior Jones said:
The unwritten episodes without even a location are likely just placeholders so that it's clear which months are already used and which are still open.
That?s a possibility since most of those dates fill in the gaps of the ORIGINAL ?Chronicles? timeline. More on that later?:D

lairdo

Stoo said:
Laird. Laird. Laird. THANK YOU a 1000 times over for these EXCLUSIVES!

My pleasure. Glad I found the stuff and could share it.

Stoo said:
In case you missed it, we talked about the Berlin episode on page 3 (& I posted some photos of Sigrid Schultz) but the information you've just given contains MUCH MORE detail than what was previously known. The old info from c.1996 (which, I believe, came from you ? but condensed by someone else) contains only a few lines of description.

I think that came from a time that Micah and I were emailing back and forth. I can't recall if I sent him the whole blurb or just what I remembered at the time. Anyway, we all have out there what I have. (And I did miss the page 3 stuff because speaking of Tolstoy novels, I think this thread is about the same length! It's amazing how much people have contributed.)

Stoo said:
Do you have any other plot outlines that are more elaborate than what is already out there? (If so, please post them one at a time because my head is about to explode, Belloq-style!:eek:)

Not that I know of. One of my goals for this year is to actually catalog and post my Indy collection. It's nothing like Ravenwood - probably smaller than most everyone's collection as I didn't collect figures other than one or two. But almost all of it has special meaning to me. Targeted would be how I describe it. I even have a whip on order from Midwest Whips which I cannot wait to get. But I digress onto the collecting page. Anyway, I consider my notes from my time on YIJC to be part of my collection.

Stoo said:
Have you read the novels, Laird? They cover that missing time period and I recall Lucas saying something about the portrayal of those years was not on his agenda (at the time). Wish I could remember where I read that?

Yes! I love most of the novels - particularly the first 6. I also had email back and forth with Max McCoy when he was writing his ones. I'll probably cover my full thoughts on the novels at some point on the Indycast. I reviewed the last one a few months ago and found it wanting in many ways. I think because I love the novels is the reason I would love to see that time fleshed out. But WWII is probably a better period for us to see in any regard.

Stoo said:
I?ve always felt that the opening scenes of ?Curse of the Jackal/My First Adventure?, w/Corey Carrier & his gang, were a glimpse into the 1905 adventures. Plus, in the new footage of ?My First Adventure? we see Toddler Indy on his roof. Maybe this is a remnant of the idea? Don?t recall ever reading about a rooftop in connection with Princeton 1905 but perhaps I've missed something?

I'm almost sure it's something I heard verbally at the time. I'm sure you are right about the My First Adventure bit being a remnant. But it is a long time ago and we should all question my memories that aren't supported by other sources.

I look forward to hearing more and learning more as I stay more connected here in the forums.

Wilhelm

It's interesting that the unproduced Berlin episode is a precedent of Mac's commentary about "being double agents in Berlin". Maybe Lucas remembered that for Indy 4 like the Honduras 1920 episode with Belloq and the Crystal Skull.

Montana Smith

Wilhelm said:
It's interesting that the unproduced Berlin episode is a precedent of Mac's commentary about "being double agents in Berlin". Maybe Lucas remembered that for Indy 4 like the Honduras 1920 episode with Belloq and the Crystal Skull.

I thought Mac was referring to post WW2 Berlin - that they were spying in East Germany.

Wilhelm

Yes, but I mean that Lucas reused that concept of Indy as double agent in Berlin like he reused the concept of the Crystal Skull.

This is the part of Berlin episode:
"The men are loaded on a truck, and Indy discovers they are British prisoners of war who are being taken to a POW camp in Berlin. Indy is discovered during a roll call and convinces the officers he is a double agent. He is driven into Berlin and from there tries to escape."

So he used that idea for Mac's commentary about being double agents. Mac is british like the prisoners of war.

But I think that Mac is refering to Berlin during WW2, not after. I don't know but I thought that their spying activities were made during WW2, but Indy says "After all those years we spent spying on the Reds". Did Indy continue to work as spy AFTER WW2? I think his association with Mac was only during the war years (And the excavation in Mexico, of course).

lairdo

Mac is certainly referring to WWII. As for when Mac and Indy spied on the Reds - well, I think that's left up in the air. It could have been in WWII or just after. I would make a guess that Indy is not in the army in 1947 because it sounds like he was dragged from somewhere else. Can't really say that for sure, but the way Indy relates the Roswell incident, he infers he was pulled in from the outside. Of course, he couldn't have been drafted back during the 1950's too.

Lucas borrowing/reusing/stealing from himself is common. Indy, as mentioned in this post, is full of discarded ideas resurfacing later. And Clone Wars is absolutely that way too. It's just how he thinks and works.

Montana Smith

lairdo said:
Mac is certainly referring to WWII. As for when Mac and Indy spied on the Reds - well, I think that's left up in the air. It could have been in WWII or just after. I would make a guess that Indy is not in the army in 1947 because it sounds like he was dragged from somewhere else. Can't really say that for sure, but the way Indy relates the Roswell incident, he infers he was pulled in from the outside. Of course, he couldn't have been drafted back during the 1950's too.

It's great that you're here, Lairdo, to set us straight! :hat:

When Mac said "double agents in Berlin" I immediately had images of the early Cold War, and all those John Le Carre style novels of spies leading double lives in the post-war Soviet Sector of the city. At any time up to 1949 the city could be referred to as Berlin (as opposed to East or West Berlin). Yet, spying on the Reds during wartime would have been just as relevant, as Stalin was an uneasy bedfellow for the allies - and Churchill at least feared that the Red Machine would not stop moving west once it reached Germany.

The life of Indiana Jones is such a fertile ground for more stories - I would really love to see his WW2 exploits, but will have to make do with imagining 'Force 10 from Navarone' as an Indy story!

Wilhelm

I prefer to think that Indy spied only during WW2, not after. In 1945 he worked again as archaeologist.

It's interesting that he had a past as spy, like Connery's Bond and that was the origin of the concept of Indiana Jones in 1977.

Montana Smith

Wilhelm said:
I prefer to think that Indy spied only during WW2, not after. In 1945 he worked again as archaeologist.

It's interesting that he had a past as spy, like Connery's Bond and that was the origin of the concept of Indiana Jones in 1977.

I agree that it's more satisying to think that Indy was only a spy during wartime for the benefits of the war effort, rather than during the Cold War when spies tended to be playing a game inspired by misguided ideology or lured by foreign money (as Mac is in KOTCS).

Indy was disillusioned by the official reaction to the Ark at the end of Raiders, and I get the feeling that it took a lot to get him back into espionage during the war, and was probably glad to be out of it and back into archaeology after the war. Though he does occasionally get called in as an advisor, as in 1947 with the Roswell incident.

Wilhelm

If Indy was only spying during WW2 I don't understand the phrase "After all those years we spent spying on the Reds". It could be more logical to say "After all those years we spent spying on the NAZIS" or just "After all those years we spent spying".

I don't know if he could spy Reds and Nazis during WW2, but saying "All those years" seems to be that he's refering to WW2 and not recent years during Cold War.

I also think that 1947 was the last time he was involved with the OSS/CIA and that his activities during WW2 involved archaeology mixed with spies. In Berlin they could try to recover the art stolen by the nazis. And in Yakarta an adventure mixing native warriors (Amnnesic darts) and japanese army. Is Mac also an archaeologist? If he was digging in Mexico perhaps his original profession is archaeology.

Last edited: