Making original Young Indy Chronicles available to everyone... any ideas?

BrodyIsDead

Just checked on this last night actually!

Stoo said:
Hi, BrodyIsDead. Very cool that you would be willing to contribute...:cool:
Which one are you missing?

I'm missing Vol 5 which is The Somme 1916. :(

I have a little access to video copying equipment through work so could copy the old Indy bookends all onto one tape if that helps? :cool:

Just let me know when we're ready to go! :whip:

the Fiddler

VP said:
I downloaded some YIJC videos that have George Hall in them. Resolution 320x240, pretty poor.

Downloaded from where VP? And thanks for the info/cover pictures. Are you aware of any place any of them can be purchased?

BrodyIsDead said:
I have a little access to video copying equipment through work so could copy the old Indy bookends all onto one tape if that helps?

Any chance you have access to the equipment to transfer them to digital? Really what we're looking for is the highest quality possible sources. If you send one of us an analog copy, it goes through one generation which means significant quality loss. Ideally we want to make a digital copy from originals. And copying them onto one tape is a bad idea too, because it means you'll record them in SLP (I don't know if it's called that over there) mode. This mode puts less info on the tape to stretch out the amount it can record, which means an even more siginificant quaility loss.

Stoo, I'm waiting for your comments on my earlier posts. As well as anyone else who's interested in getting involved in the project.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
the Fiddler said:
Downloaded from where VP? Are you aware of any place any of them can be purchased?

Secondhand video stores. I downloaded them from eMule.

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo, I have 4 of the original Young Indy videotapes and when I'll find some time out I'll scan the covers for you. The case of each videotape was transparent so the back of cover was visible. The inside was the same for all six of them.

I'll try to transfer both Prague and Florence episodes to digital format for you(when I'll find some time. Hopefuly, I'm aiming for Christmas). The Prague episode had no bookend. The Florence one I have has both of them (opening and closing).

Till next time take care.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
welcome_tumma.jpg

Welcome, Adamwankenobi. Cool name.

Stoo

the Fiddler said:
I just can't decide if it's best to have a forum on the website, or just keep this thread alive for now. Any comments on that? Anything else I should include? I was just thinking a few basic pages describing what we're doing, and how we will take any help that people are willing to give, as well as dividing things into different areas of research and development of the project. Then also maybe a blog of some sort on the front page for the latest news.
*snip*
Oh, one other thing, should we discuss the bit-torrent thing here, or through more private channels?
Creating a specific forum or website would be ideal for co-ordinating
the best available sources, while this thread could be used for updates
and/or recruiting more help. To start with, maybe we could just try
one or two choice episodes as a trial run? Maybe an Old Indy collection?
I don't know...With +33 hours of footage, to do every episode would
most likely take about a year to complete. Don't get me wrong (this is
one of those "dream projects"), I'm just trying to think in realistic terms.

Personally, I'd rather use a trading "tree" (with branches & leaves, etc.)
as a means of distribution rather than bit-torrent. Both avenues have
their pros & cons but I think it would be better to discuss this in private.

P.S. Fiddler, I have seen your Indy Fan Film and it's well worth watching.
The overall photography and editing of the fight scenes was very good and
the sabre gag was a nice laugh! (I'm thinking Energizer commercial, here...)
Those are your kids, I assume?:)
Sakis said:
I'll try to transfer both Prague and Florence episodes to digital format for you(when I'll find some time. Hopefuly, I'm aiming for Christmas). The Prague episode had no bookend. The Florence one I have has both of them (opening and closing).
Thanks for describing the packaging, Sakis. Your generous offer to transfer
both Prague & Florence is GREAT but hold off on that for now as it appears
there are better versions floating around. (No offence, mate).

Does anyone out there have the bookends for "Transylvania - January 1918"?

Canyon

Sorry if my reply is a little bit late. :eek:

I have the same video volumes that BrodyisDead has (being volumes 1, 2 and 6). I also have several of the Young Indy Chronicles which I taped from televison some time ago, all with the Old Indy bookends.

They are:

Paris, July 1908
Florence, Aug 1908
Benares, January 1910
Peaking, March 1910
Verdun 1916
Congo 1916
Germany, 1916
Princeton, Feburary 1916
Barcelona, May 1916
Somme, August 1916
Africa, November 1916
Congo 1917
Vienea, 1917
Petrograd, July 1917
Palestine, Beersheba, October 1917
Paris, May 1919
Chicago, April 1920
Chicago 1920 (The scandal of 1920)
Mystery of the Blues (1920)

It looks as if my DVD player is on its way out, so I am seriously considering buying a recordable DVD player in the near future. :D

The Fiddler, if I do this, do you want me to put these episodes onto DVD discs and send them to you?

Please let me know.

Junior Jones

Sakis said:
I think that the Transylvania episode didn't had a bookend.

It did. I've seen it. Old Indy scared some trick-or-treaters who came to his door.

I used to have this on video. It was a tape of a tape, the picture was grainy, and the sound was like the characters were underwater. But at least I've seen it.

the Fiddler

Stoo said:
Creating a specific forum or website would be ideal for co-ordinating the best available sources, while this thread could be used for updates and/or recruiting more help. To start with, maybe we could just try
one or two choice episodes as a trial run? Maybe an Old Indy collection?
I don't know...With +33 hours of footage, to do every episode would
most likely take about a year to complete. Don't get me wrong (this is
one of those "dream projects"), I'm just trying to think in realistic terms.
Personally, I'd rather use a trading "tree" ... rather than bit-torrent. Both avenues have their pros & cons but I think it would be better to discuss this in private
I completely agree. I've already setup the web address and the forums are partially setup. But it may be next week before I can actually put together a few pages so it's a useable site. Once I do, we'll start moving info over there, as well as figure out what episodes we want to start with.
I like the trading tree idea. We'll discuss it in private as you've said.

Stoo said:
P.S. Fiddler, I have seen your Indy Fan Film and it's well worth watching. The overall photography and editing of the fight scenes was very good and the sabre gag was a nice laugh! Those are your kids, I assume?:)
Thanks for the compliments, we enjoyed making it. No, they're actually my younger brothers. Don't worry though, I can see where you'd be confused. I'm old enough to be their parent (about 18 years difference between me and the youngest), especially in today's world. We're actually probably going to try and film the rest of it (it was intended to be longer) when I go home for Christmas break--which starts Fri. for me. That's when I'll have time to finish setting up the website as well.

Canyon said:
I have the same video volumes that BrodyisDead has (being volumes 1, 2 and 6). I also have several of the Young Indy Chronicles which I taped from televison some time ago, all with the Old Indy bookends.
Does this mean you have the official ones (like the purchased ones)?

Canyon said:
It looks as if my DVD player is on its way out, so I am seriously considering buying a recordable DVD player in the near future. The Fiddler, if I do this, do you want me to put these episodes onto DVD discs and send them to you?
Yeah, that would be great. Let me know when/if you get it, and we'll go from there.

I'm amazed and excited by the support and interest we're getting here. I had begun to beleive nobody would be interested. I'll try to have the website ready by this time next week. Thanks guys.

JK_Antwon

Awsome

well I just joined, but I would be interested in this idea as well! All my copies are really poor vhs. it was on before I had cable, so the qaulity is really staticy. I would love to see this show again, and am very excited to hear about this fan based reproduction idea! I will be sticking around to see what comes of it!

Altern

I'm also interested !

I just have some VHS box set (french/english) and some video files from emule (low quality :( )

Any good DVD compilation would be better than that !

i haven't seen most of the episodes :mad:

the Fiddler

It's great to see all this interest in this kind of a project. At the moment, the biggest problem seems to be a lack of good-quality coppies of the episodes. Well, that and my not getting up a website as I said I would. I'm just constantly busier that I think I'm going to be. Sorry I haven't gotten it up yet. Hopefully in the next week or so.

the Fiddler

Alright! I know it's been six months, but I'm back. I just got really busy with school. Then did a study abroad tour through the college that took me to Mexico and central america for 5 weeks. I'm still interested in doing this guys, if some people are willing to work together on it.

I'm setting up the forums right now. You should be able to access and register on them very soon. If you're still interested in this project (and especially if you can contribute) please post here and tell me so, so I know if I should procede, or if interest has died and I shouldn't bother. Thanks.

Junior Jones

I plan on waiting to see what the official Young Indy DVD's look like.
If they turn out to be disappointing, I'll be much more interested in this project.

the Fiddler

The reason I want to do this is because the best info we have on the DVD release is that it will coincide with Indy 4. But at the very best, that's still 2 years away, and it may not ever happen. Besides does anyone really believe they'll re-release them as they were originally shown on TV and not as the re-edited 1&1/2 hr movies? I want to watch them as I did as a 12 year old. And I want my little Bro's to be able to enjoy them that way too.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Personally, I would like to see the ones with the bookends or at the very least, on each of the DVDs have the bookends in the Special Features section.