Katarn07

That whole bluescreen thing works well for movies such as Sky Captain and Sin City, but not for sword and armor epics. I'd rather it have been "historically accurate" like King Arthur and Troy. Unlike either of those movies, though, I believe historians know much more about this Greek War. I remember in my last history class I took, there were questions about both the Spartan involvement as well as Athenian involvement in that war on the test. It's not just based off of some myths that anyone interested in seeing the movie already knows. They ruined that by basing it off of Frank Miller's blood filled comic.

You can read this if anyone's acquainted with history:
I'd also hope there would be more of a story. I'm not gonna sit around for two hours watching people be killed in stylized slow motion just to see the "good guys" all be killed in the end.

The next movie I see about Spartans better have the word 'Halo' in the title.

Doc Savage

In regards to Troy, I was impressed with Sean Bean and Brian Cox...even if they made Agamemmnon look like a tyrant.

In regards to 300, Frank Miller rocks, and Sparta would've been my hometown 2000 years ago. Especially given that pederasty wasn't as prevalent there as elsewhere in ancient Greece...

roundshort

Doc Savage said:
In regards to Troy, I was impressed with Sean Bean and Brian Cox...even if they made Agamemmnon look like a tyrant.

In regards to 300, Frank Miller rocks, and Sparta would've been my hometown 2000 years ago. Especially given that pederasty wasn't as prevalent there as elsewhere in ancient Greece...

Doc, you tell that the the Jesus*

* Big Lebowski, not the "Big guy"

HovitosKing

I'll be there. Anyone saying it's going to suck is just a cheapskate looking for an excuse not to take the ladyfriend out on a date lol

Baron Brunwald

HovitosKing said:
I'll be there. Anyone saying it's going to suck is just a cheapskate looking for an excuse not to take the ladyfriend out on a date lol

I don't see how it can possibly suck. Extreme battle scenes for the gentlemen and 90% naked men for the ladies.

Johan

Baron Brunwald said:
90% naked men for the ladies.
I think this in itself is a bigger negative that overpowers good fighting scenes and brings little appeal.
let me guess the battle scenes are filmed in the same mountains that were the set for brokeback mountan...althought I haven't seen that either

HovitosKing

I've met people who were inexcusably bigoted against gays, but against the historically-accurate (mostly) regalia of Sparta? Come on.

Baron Brunwald

HovitosKing said:
I've met people who were inexcusably bigoted against gays, but against the historically-accurate (mostly) regalia of Sparta? Come on.

Yeah, it's not that bad considering the Spartans fought totally naked with the exception of capes.

Doc Savage

They were an interesting bunch. Any society who threw their "unfit" progeny literally to the wolves...well, let's just say they had enough issues to fill a magazine rack. But they were definitely the army you'd want on your side.

Baron Brunwald

HovitosKing said:
Couldn't agree more. Monkey sack.

I think you'd enjoy 300 then. It's finally a step away from movies like that.
And if you don't enjoy the story, you have to at least admire the outstanding CGI.

Chris Jones

I saw it last night expecting it to be full of epic battles, which it was, but i also had the plot which surprised me, lol. I wasn't expecting as much plot as they put into it, thoguh alot was left out i'm sure. The CGI was very noticable in this movie for some reason, i can't explain why. It is great and all, but the quality of the actually people seemed lacking. It's probably just me.

I enjoyed it, it's worth seeing. It is more epic than Troy and way better than King Arthur.