Your Favorite Gaming Console - Both Current & Classic?

No Ticket

I was just thinking about getting a Playstation 3, but besides the Blue Ray (or is it Blu-Ray), I can't see too many games for it that would make it worth the money.

As I was thinking about it, I decided not to get one... not yet at least. But I started thinking about some of my favorite consoles of the past.

I think my personal favorite ever was the Nintendo 64. The first time I played Super Mario 64 at Wal-Mart in 1996... I was mesmerized. I played that game nearly every day. And then Goldeneye came after that and entertained me and my friends for years. Not to mention it had, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, possibly my favorite game ever. Perfect Dark too! Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (the original)...

Of course, I really liked the Genesis and NES too. Had lots of fun playing games like Road Rash, Sonic 1-4 (or S&K)... and there's just too many NES games to mention.

I never was very big on the first Playstation, but I fell in love with the PS2. But overall, I'm still gonna go with the N64 for all-time "classic" fave.

And for current fave: The Wii.

What about the rest of you guys?

The_Raiders

Well I used to have 2 N-64's and 2 PS1's , but I got rid of'em but for Christmas several years ago I got a PS2, it has served me well. For nowe it's my favorite. ;)

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:
As for current favorite. I've only tried the Wii which I positively hated so...

Maybe your not playing the right games. With Nintendo, it's best to stick to first-party titles. The two third-party titles I have are horrid. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess (technically a GC game, but still), Super Paper Mario, Warioware, etc. are great. I'm sure SSMB Brawl is going to be great too... it has the cel-shaded Link as a character... along with Sonic the Hedgehog, Snake from Metal Gear and some other cool new characters.

No Ticket said:
Maybe your not playing the right games. With Nintendo, it's best to stick to first-party titles. The two third-party titles I have are horrid. Super Mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess (technically a GC game, but still), Super Paper Mario, Warioware, etc. are great. I'm sure SSMB Brawl is going to be great too... it has the cel-shaded Link as a character... along with Sonic the Hedgehog, Snake from Metal Gear and some other cool new characters.

The only game I did play was Super Mario Galaxy. Ugh. Hated it.

metalinvader

My favorite of all time would have to be SNES.
So many classics...
Indiana Jones' greatest adventures
The Super Star Wars games
Act Raiser
Legend
Knights of the round
Mario World
Mario All Stars
and one of my favorites that everyone hates...Marvel Superheros-War of the Gems

No Ticket

ResidentAlien said:

Really? That's surprising to me. I found it to be quite fun. But what I didn't like about it, is that they've "cutsied" up Mario waaaay too much. He is way too kid friendly now. I mean, he was before but now, it's just worse.

I think the classic Marios are much better. My favorite is SMB3. To be fair, the most fun level in all of Galaxy to play is the very last level. It's pretty badass with the 360 rotating environment. Other great parts, is where the camera goes 2D in some levels and you play like old-school... but the gravity has Mario sticking to the ceiling or the floor at various times.

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:

I haven't played it, but it looks terrible. What did you think of Mario 64? If you hated that too, I'm not gonna think much of your opinion on games :p

My favorite console is probably XBOX. It's the first one that I actually owned. I played friends' SNES, Genesis, N64s, and PS1s up until that time and loved them all for certain games, but there is something special about owning one yourself.

WillKill4Food

Katarn07 said:
What did you think of Mario 64? If you hated that too, I'm not gonna think much of your opinion on games :p
QUOTE]
It was okay for the time, but now when I play it I just get anoyed.
As far as Indy games, SNES Indy's Greatest Adventures is one of my favorites!:D If you've never played it, you can got to CoolROM.com and download it and an SNES emulator.;)

Katarn07 said:
I haven't played it, but it looks terrible. What did you think of Mario 64? If you hated that too, I'm not gonna think much of your opinion on games :p

My favorite console is probably XBOX. It's the first one that I actually owned. I played friends' SNES, Genesis, N64s, and PS1s up until that time and loved them all for certain games, but there is something special about owning one yourself.

Mario 64 is the love of my life.

No Ticket

Katarn07 said:

I don't get all this Mario Galaxy hate!! lol. It plays almost just like Super Mario 64 did, which is also one of my all-time faves... The levels look weird, but they play awesomely. The gravity shifting and jumping and re-attaching to objects is the best part. They are basically linear, like the Bowser boss levels in Mario 64, but that doesn't really affect the game's fun factor. There are a few levels that are not linear, and more like M64... and after playing the more galaxified levels... it's not nearly as much fun.

One of the most fun boss battles, is against this giant rock thing and you have to twirl the wii-remote to spin black buus (which are like bomb buus) into the thing and kill it.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
CLASSIC:
SNES SNES SNES SNES! :p

As for current, I don't actually own any. My brother has a PS2, GBA and DS. I really enjoy PS2 and DS is heaps of fun with the whole interactive perspective. When I can afford it, I'm buying a Pink PS2. :cool:

As for games, I do love Indy's Greatest Adventures, but also love Star Wars, the Mortal Kombat games, Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island (which I don't have) and yes, Donkey Kong!

PS2: Emperor's Tomb, both Kingdom Hearts games, both Battlefront games, Enter the Matrix, Disney Skateboarding and X-Men: Legends 1 & 2.

Finn

Staff member
Is this a thread for console fanboys only or can PC guys participate too?

Yes, anyway, I don't own any gaming system, but I do own a top-of-the-line PC. I earn my living with the comps so it's just natural for me to have one as an entertainment system as well. Besides, some games were just created to be controlled with a mouse and keyboard. FPS, strategy, RPGs. Adventure games. Yes, I'm fully aware that most of those also play quite fluidly with a controller, but that's not the way they were originally designed to be.

I think the only genre that is right at home on those consoles is 3rd person action. That also seems to be the one that grows the most these days, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, classic gaming. I did own a NES and SNES when I was a wee laddie. Good memories.

Katarn07

ResidentAlien said:
Mario 64 is the love of my life.

Alrighty, I suppose I can read your comments on video games yet ;)

No Ticket, your comment on it being linear is probably what I noticed in the videos and why I was turned off by it. I don't hate the game, I've never played it! But the videos didn't do it for me. It looks like a step back from M64 and it's considered its sequel.

Deckard

SNES

The Legend Of Zelda - A Link To The Past
Super Mario All Stars
Starfox
Mortal Kombat

N-64

Zelda - Ocarina of Time
Shadows of the Empire
Goldeneye
Super Smash Brothers

Tough One but by how many hours i put into it w/ friends Vs by myself I gotta go w/ N64 for being the better console to bring people togeather.

If im by myself I'd go SNES and Zelda or other old school RPGs tho.

IndySeven

My favorites are Game Boy Color (even though it isn't a console), the PC, and N64. Currently, I like the PS3. I might buy it sometime. The graphics are awesome!(y)

No Ticket

IndySeven said:
The graphics are awesome!(y)

But are the games themselves? ... and if so, can you not just get it on the 360? If you already have a 360, I've yet to see a good reason to get a PS3 since most of the games are on the xbox too. However, I know Metal Gear is coming soon and Street Fighter IV... not sure if SF is PS3 exclusive. Either way, that might be motivation for me to finally get one.

We'll see.

yodazone

The SNES and the GC for me. Nintendo rulez. :cool:

Resident Evil 4 is the best game out there on the GC. I always wanted to see a good Nintendo version of the Ultimate Indiana Jones game too. I remember it was a mission to play the NES "Temple of Doom" game that could never be beat without falling into the lava. Then I finally saw the ending youtube years later! (y)

The LEGO Indy game looks cool but I want to see the realistic "Zelda" adventure style of Indy on the video games. Even if they adapt all 4 movies in one game! I'd buy it!

:gun: :gun: :gun: