Widescreen DVD or Full Screen??

Brock

Response to Bullwhip Boy

In his post, he [Bullwhip Boy] stated that if a full-screen supporter was to simply zoom his widescreen DVD, he would make it full-screen. I already posted this, however, as another Raider pointed out, the image quality would be substantially lowered, and the image wouldn't automatically pan. (Hence the name, "Pan and Scan.") Still, relating to the previous point, it is possible, if I am correct, to pan automatically while in zoom mode, so I challenge someone who prefers fullscreen to do this for just a few minutes, to see what they're really missing. Of course, nobody needs to get a life badly enough to waste time on doing that, so I doubt anyone would actually try.

Of course, what I will say is a tired and frequently mentioned point, but I haven't seen any fullscreen supporter effectively refute or use information against it, so here it is anyway. The point is that, by somewhere around 2005-2010 Widescreen television sets will probably be the only variety that any company will manufacture. So, when you go to view your Disks, there will be black bars, but they will be on the sides, and now, you're actually missing something! "Full"-screen? I think not.

I would say more, but I think it's safe to say that nobody cares, so...

[Edited by Brock on 12-23-2003 at 01:52 pm]

jagreenall

Regular TV preference?

I have a question that I have not gotten a good answer since I bought the Back to the Future set last year. I originally had the widescreen version of Back to the Future only to have it compress the widescreen version onto my regular TV so everyone looked tall and skinny. I took it back and got the full screen version. Now I have the full screen Indiana Jones set in my hand and was wondering if this is the version I want. I love the wider format and do not mind the black lines on the top and bottom, but do not want it all compressed on my regular TV like the Back to the Future problem I had. So my question is: can I view the widescreen version on my regular TV?

Henry Jr.

jagreenall said:
I originally had the widescreen version of Back to the Future only to have it compress the widescreen version onto my regular TV so everyone looked tall and skinny. I took it back and got the full screen version. Now I have the full screen Indiana Jones set in my hand and was wondering if this is the version I want. I love the wider format and do not mind the black lines on the top and bottom, but do not want it all compressed on my regular TV like the Back to the Future problem I had. So my question is: can I view the widescreen version on my regular TV?

If you're seeing "compressed" widescreen images on your regular TV, it sounds like you have an incorrect setting on your DVD player.

You might have the player set to 16:9 viewing. Try changing the DVD player display setting to 4:3. That should straighten everything out.

[Edited by Henry Jr. on 12-27-2003 at 09:18 pm]

Brock

More pan and scan difficulties.

If I am correct, for, "fullscreen," the track for widescreen is simply used; no new one is remixed. What if a sound is being produced by an important object on the left side of the screen? In pan and scan, the object would be focused on, and in the center of the screen. However, the sound would be coming out of the left speaker louder than the right. (Of course, you could switch to mono, but that would make problems even worse.) So not only does pan and scan screw around with viewing pleasures, it also tampers with the audio portion. Wonderful.

MP3

Hmmmm... good point! I didn't think of that! I guess I can add that to my ever-growing list of reasons why I'm glad I was smart enough to get the widescreen version... ;)

philhos

I don't have the Widescreen versions of the Indy DVDs 'cause I got them as a present, HOWEVER, since I have a 32" TV, I prefer Widescreen.

If I only had a 19" screen, I would choose Fullscreen just to maximize the view, so to speak.