Alien Series

The Best of the Alien Films?

• Total voters
The Man said:
Exhaustive stuff, no?

Incredible. Really is coming in handy for this paper I'm writing which I just found out is not due Wednesday as I thought, but tomorrow only an hour before my first (and biggest) exam which I haven't had time to study for either! GAH. And I'm only 3 pages in...

The Man

About my perplexion, I know your grievances towards Aliens, yet on a fundamental level, your distaste of what I find a terrific movie is bemusing and amusing. I guess it's another Last Crusade situation.

Regarding the box-set, the Alien 3 doc is gold, as Fincher slowly realises the snake-pit he's fallen into.

Buy it cheap, so it won't kill to have bought two films you don't care for. That was my mistake, though the extras are beyond value.

Shortie

ResidentAlien said:
If you're watching it for action, you won't get much enjoyment out of it. If you're watching it to challenge yourself intellectually, there's payoff.

I don't want to watch a movie with alien in the title to make me think. I'll watch something like 'Crash' or 'Hotel Rwanda'.

The Man

Shortie said:
I don't want to watch a movie with alien in the title to make me think. I'll watch something like 'Crash' or 'Hotel Rwanda'.

Fond of Don Cheadle, are you?

Shortie

Heh? I'm guessing that's the director of both? I've never heard of him, those were jsut some intellectual films from the top of my head.

deckard24

Alien without a doubt is the best of the series. The others just never did anything for me, and for the most part felt tired and repetitive. How many times can we see the alien's head come from around a corner, loom over the victim, and see the little mouth extension shoot out, followed by a spray of blood on the wall? Honestly they just got boring in my opinion.

On another note, I actually watched the new AVP: Requiem the other night(It was between that and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly that I rented, but I was too tired and just wanted mindless fun.), any of you guys see it? I'm curious as to what you thought. It had a few decent moments, but once again it got boring to me with the same old stuff happening. One thing is for sure though they didn't hold back on the usual taboo horror victims, they went in a new direction in this one!

The Man

Shortie said:
Heh? I'm guessing that's the director of both? I've never heard of him, those were jsut some intellectual films from the top of my head.

He's the black detective in Crash and the hotel owner in Hotel Rwanda.

The Man

deckard24 said:
Alien without a doubt is the best of the series. The others just never did anything for me, and for the most part felt tired and repetitive. How many times can we see the alien's head come from around a corner, loom over the victim, and see the little mouth extension shoot out, followed by a spray of blood on the wall? Honestly they just got boring in my opinion.

On another note, I actually watched the new AVP: Requiem the other night(It was between that and The Diving Bell and the Butterfly that I rented, but I was too tired and just wanted mindless fun.), any of you guys see it? I'm curious as to what you thought. It had a few decent moments, but once again it got boring to me with the same old stuff happening. One thing is for sure though they didn't hold back on the usual taboo horror victims, they went in a new direction in this one!

What really bugs me about those mash-ups is that Predator was never in the same league as Alien and Aliens, and now we're asked to believe that the former can kick the latter's ass? Sacrilege!

deckard24

The Man said:
What really bugs me about those mash-ups is that Predator was never in the same league as Alien and Aliens, and now we're asked to believe that the former can kick the latter's ass? Sacrilege!
The first Predator was great sci-fi movie and one of Arnie's bests, just the same as the first Alien was the best of that series. That's where it should've ended, no crossovers.

What I don't get and maybe someone can clarify this for me, is it just the Alien's blood that's acid and not the spit, or both? Because it seems to change over the course of the 4 Alien films and two AVP films. Or maybe I'm wrong?

As for who's more powerful Aliens or Predators, I don't know? The versus arguments are always a no win situation. Which is probably why they always leave it as a stalemate for the most part at the end of the films, ie. Freddy vs. Jason.

The Man

deckard24 said:
The first Predator was great sci-fi movie and one of Arnie's bests, just the same as the first Alien was the best of that series. That's where it should've ended, no crossovers.

What I don't get and maybe someone can clarify this for me, is it just the Alien's blood that's acid and not the spit, or both? Because it seems to change over the course of the 4 Alien films and two AVP films. Or maybe I'm wrong?

As for who's more powerful Aliens or Predators, I don't know? The versus arguments are always a no win situation. Which is probably why they always leave it as a stalemate for the most part at the end of the films. Freddy vs. Jason for example!

I think the alien spit was deadly in Resurrection, but I don't remember it being so elsewhere in that series.

deckard24

The Man said:
I think the alien spit was deadly in Resurrection, but I don't remember it being so elsewhere in that series.
I knew it was in one of the films, but like I said they all start to blend together after Alien. I think this might have been the case in one of the AVP films too.

Shortie said:

If those movies make you "think" than I feel very sorry for you.

Alien is a far more intelligent and original film than either of those phoned-in Hollywood pieces of ****. And the fact that you're biased to a film's content based on its title is entirely irrelevant as well as foolish. Ever hear the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover?"

oki9Sedo

Its been a long time since I saw it, but there were alot of sexual undertones in Alien, if I remember correctly. The alien's head looking like a phallus was not coincidence, I don't think.

Last edited:

|ZiR|

oki9Sedo said:
Its been a long time since I saw it, but there were alot of sexual undertones in Alien, if I remember correctly. The alien's head looking like a phallus was not coincidence, I don't think.

Yes. Alien simply oozes sexuality. Even the way Ash tries to kill Ripley is vaguely sexual. They tried to get back that same feeling in the fourth film, but it didn't really work.

oki9Sedo

|ZiR| said:
Yes. Alien simply oozes sexuality. Even the way Ash tries to kill Ripley is vaguely sexual. They tried to get back that same feeling in the fourth film, but it didn't really work.

I knew it definitely wasn't me being perverted or reading into things incorrectly. There is a very pervasive sense of sexuality in that film.

And yes, when they have Ash attempting to kill Ripley by shoving a rolled-up magazine down her throat, that just had to have sexual undertones to it. Ash himself presumably isn't doing it that way to be perverted given that he's an asexual android, but the screenwriters were definitely trying to get an uncomfortable feeling of sexual "awareness" across.

So, we can conclude that the Alien movies are all about the fear of sexual intrusion. Sort of like the Carry On movies, minus the laughs and with blood.

oki9Sedo

herr gruber said:
So, we can conclude that the Alien movies are all about the fear of sexual intrusion. Sort of like the Carry On movies, minus the laughs and with blood.

If you're being sarcastic you should know sarcasm comes across poorly in print.

If not, you're absolutely right.

oki9Sedo said:
If you're being sarcastic you should know sarcasm comes across poorly in print.

If not, you're absolutely right.

Consider Alien3. (I know a lot of people don't like to!) Ripley is surrounded by
sexually deprived convicts and a phallic creature. They couldn't have made the idea any clearer.

oki9Sedo said:

Lots, yes. That's what my paper was mostly on. JUST finished it 10 minutes ago... It's on the art direction and the sexual undertones therein. It examines Giger and Cobb's styles, etc.

And yeah, Man, I assume we were talking Haggis' awful Crash. Considering his unwillingness to consider Alien anything more than cheap thrills, I figure he's not open-minded enough to even attempt something like the brilliant Cronenberg film, Crash.