Sherlock Holmes - RDJ

AndyLGR

I love the old Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce movies. They are classics of their time.

Yet yesterday I heard that 2 new Holmes films are in production:

The first starring Sacha Baron Chen / Will Ferrell as Holmes and Watson

and the second starring Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law as Holmes and Watson.

2 very odd pairings if you ask me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/02/news.culture

fixer79

Whoa...
I knew Ritchie was planning a Holmes movie, but I didn't know Cohen was cast as ol' Sherlock...

An odd choise indeed...

But are you sure that the one Ritchie had planned to star robert Downey Jr. is also still in production? Or is it being replaced with the Cohen version?

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes' capers... I hope Ritchie and his motley crew will do him justice!

AndyLGR

No they are different versions. Downy Jr is in the Ritchie one which will be more action oreientated and apparently the other version will be more comedic.

Goodsport

AndyLGR said:
I love the old Basil Rathbone / Nigel Bruce movies. They are classics of their time.

They were definitely very good, though the only thing that threw me off about their version was that the timeframe was changed from the Victorian era to the World War II era. :eek:

For me, the definitive on-screen Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were played by Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick, respectively. :)

-G

fixer79

This whole situation reminds me a bit of the time in 1991 when there were two seperate Robin Hood movies in theaters: Prince of Thieves, the one with Kev Costner and another with a mustache-sportin' Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman.
I can still remember the two posters hanging side by side at my local theater...

Then, two years later, Mel Brooks released his Robin Hood parody called 'Men in Tights'.

I don't think these things are coincidence... It probably has to do with the rights to the material expiring or something...

Goodsport

fixer79 said:
This whole situation reminds me a bit of the time in 1991 when there were two seperate Robin Hood movies in theaters: Prince of Thieves, the one with Kev Costner and another with a mustache-sportin' Patrick Bergin and Uma Thurman.
I can still remember the two posters hanging side by side at my local theater...

Ironically, the latter was eventually aired instead as a Fox TV-movie. :eek:

-G

Indy's brother

This whole situation reminds me a bit of the time in 1991 when there were two seperate Robin Hood movies in theaters

or in 1988 when Big and Vice Versa came out.
or in 1989 when Turner and Hooch and K-9 came out.

There are a lot of other examples that presently escape me, but this sort of thing happens a lot. Personally, I don't understand why people think Will Ferrell is so hilarious, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one.

PhantomStranger

Indy's brother said:
or in 1988 when Big and Vice Versa came out.
or in 1989 when Turner and Hooch and K-9 came out.

There are a lot of other examples that presently escape me, but this sort of thing happens a lot. Personally, I don't understand why people think Will Ferrell is so hilarious, but I wouldn't mind seeing this one.

Don't forget the year of "Dante's Peak" and "Volcano".

I'm a devoted Holmes Fan and the Robert Downey Jr film I think is going to be good, The other one I'm going to skip. I truly don't understand the popularity of Cohen, he's just not funny to me.

Anybody interested in talking Holmes with other fans, you may want to check out this site:

http://www.holmesian.net/forums/index.php?act=idx

AndyLGR

Goodsport said:
They were definitely very good, though the only thing that threw me off about their version was that the timeframe was changed from the Victorian era to the World War II era. :eek:

For me, the definitive on-screen Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson were played by Jeremy Brett and Edward Hardwick, respectively. :)

-G
They changed the time frame when Universal started to make the movies after 20th Century Fox only made the 1st 2 which were set in the Victorian era.

I agree that Jeremy Brett & Hardwicke were awesome as Holmes in the TV series, and the adaptations were very close if not extremely faithful to Conan Doyles original stories.

Indy's brother

I really want this flick to kick ass, but this shot:

downeysherlock.jpg

is the best one so far, and neither Downey, nor his clothes seem "Sherlock-y". Maybe if the plot, acting, cinematography, etc, are done correctly, my opinion will change. I cringe in anticipation.