The Adventures of Tintin

jonesissparrow

What do you think? I really want to see it I read three of its comics and they just Begs itself to be made into a movie, I could not put the books down. I think Tintin was somewhat of an inspiration to Indy. Also with a pairing of Spielberg and Jackson nothing could go wrong!

jonesissparrow

Finn said:
Read more.

Oh I plan to, I remember watching the TV show on Nickelodeon and I was little and I very entertained and I forgotten about it over the years until now. I never knew that Tintin was a comic strip from france till a year ago. Now I want to read every Tintin comic imagined. It's going to look awesome on the big screen a CGI version of the comic book they say.

I HOPE THIS WRITER'S STRIKE END SO THEY CAN DO THIS FILM, I WANT TO SEE THIS BADLY!!!

Matinee Idyll

Tintin kicks the ass out of Indy, to be brutally honest. Both childhood heroes of mine, but there's no competition in my book - Tintin in Tibet still being one of the most moving experiences I've had with any literature.

So many astounding escapades - King Ottokars Sceptre, The Calculus Affair, Red Sea Sharks, Cigars of the Pharoah, Crystal Balls, hell, they're all absolutely brilliant (even Land of the Soviets and Congo! ;)).

I'm more concerned about the 'berg stuffing up Tintin than Indy 4. It's all in the voice casting, and however they choose to animate it (please not 3D!).

tintin.gif

I guess I'm what you'd call 'a fan'.

jonesissparrow

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson are teaming to direct and produce three back-to-back features based on Georges Remi's beloved Belgian comic-strip hero Tintin for DreamWorks. Pics will be produced in full digital 3-D using performance capture technology.
The two filmmakers will each direct at least one of the movies; studio wouldn't say which director would helm the third. Kathleen Kennedy joins Spielberg and Jackson as a producer on the three films, which might be released through DreamWorks Animation.

Tintin has long been a passion project for Spielberg; he and Kennedy have held various film rights to the comedic adventure book series off and on for more than 25 years. With the rights in place, Spielberg, Jackson and DreamWorks began quietly developing the project. Jackson has also long been a fan of the comic books.

Jackson's New Zealand-based WETA Digital, the f/x house behind "The Lord of the Rings" franchise, produced a 20-minute test reel bringing to life the characters created by Remi, who wrote under the pen name of Herge.

"Herge's characters have been reborn as living beings, expressing emotion and a soul which goes far beyond anything we've seen to date with computer animated characters," Spielberg said.

"We want Tintin's adventures to have the reality of a live-action film, and yet Peter and I felt that shooting them in a traditional live-action format would simply not honor the distinctive look of the characters and world that Herge created," Spielberg continued.

Official word of the three-pic pact comes just weeks after Jackson inked a deal with DreamWorks to direct "Lovely Bones," based on Alice Sebold's haunting tome about a 14-year-old girl who watches over her family ? and attacker ? from heaven after she is raped and killed.

Tintin project, announced by the two filmmakers and DreamWorks co-chair-CEO Stacey Snider, may explain, at least in part, why DreamWorks emerged the winner in the bidding for "Bones," beating out several other suitors.

Tintin also answers the question of which tentpole Jackson will turn his attention to next.

The Spielberg-Jackson project isn't likely to languish in development for long. Spielberg could become available this fall after wrapping "Indiana Jones 4." Jackson will wrap "Bones" by the end of the year. He had been developing another possible franchise, Naomi Novik?s Temeraire series, set during the French Revolution.

Spielberg and Jackson have selected three stories from Remi's "The Adventures of Tintin" series, which encompassed 23 books published between 1929 and 1976. The series still attracts 2 million new fans a year.

Series, which has sold more than 200 million copies worldwide, chronicles adventures of a junior reporter who will follow stories to the ends of the earth, even though he often finds his own life in jeopardy. His able assistants include a white dog named Snowy, the lunatic Captain Haddock, the muddled genius Professor Calculus and the Thompson Twins.

Jackson said WETA will stay true to Remi's original designs in bringing the cast of Tintin to life, but that the characters won't look cartoonish.

"Instead," Jackson said, "we're making them look photorealistic; the fibers of their clothing, the pores of their skin and each individual hair. They look exactly like real people ? but real Herge people!"

DreamWorks bought the film rights from Herge Studios in Brussels, Belgium. Company is led by prexy Fanny Rodwell, Remi's wife when he died in 1983.

"We couldn't think of a better way to honor Herge's legacy that this announcement within days of the 100th anniversary of his birth, May 22, 1907," Rodwell said.

Spielberg and Jackson are currently evaluating whether to release Tintin through DreamWorks Animation. Paramount distributes all DreamWorks Animation films.

So yes they are doing it in 3-D. There are some interesting connections to Indy and Tintin. I always thought Short Round's character in TOD came from Chang in The Blue Lotus and Tintin in Tibet, what really strikes me interesting is that both Indy and Tintin find their Asian companions during the Japanese invasion in China and both stories were set in 1935 and 1936. Also I found interesting was that in The Calculus Affair that both Haddock and Tintin and Calculus are involved in a tank much like the tank fight in The Last Crusade.

This intro of the show right here really evokes images of certain action scenes of The Last Crusade especially the motor boats chase
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J13QndTA6-M

Finn

Staff member
Now, what there's left is to pick guesses which stories will they implement to movies. If I was to take a quick jab at it, the most prominent storylines would be the two-parters Secret of the Unicorn/Red Rackham's Treasure and Seven Crystal Balls/Prisoners of the Sun. I'm truly surprised if neither one of these is not among the three.

Katarn07

.... :confused:

Who the heck is TinTin??? lol

I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty intrigued by this info alone. Those titles are killer. Seriously, anything that hokey sounding is something I typically wanna be a part of! But am I the only one here who has never heard of this guy before?

Finn

Staff member
Matinee Idyll said:
Cigars of the Pharoah/The Blue Lotus/TinTin in Tibet
Too episodic, doesn't fold in neatly. As a one movie, I mean. Of course if they mean to make three interconnected ones, this would be my pick as well. Except parts one and two lack the great characters of Haddock and Calculus. They could, of course just take basic premises of the stories and do heavy rewrites, enabling them to throw them in.

Katarn07 said:
Who the heck is TinTin?
A pulpy comic book character created by a Belgian called Hergé a few decades back. True classics, those stories.

Katarn07 said:
But am I the only one here who has never heard of this guy before?
If you were on the Euro side of the pool, you ought to ashamed. But since you aren't... we can't know it all, I guess. In similar fashion, you could throw me ten random superhero names out of Marvel comic books and I probably wouldn't recognize the half of them.

jonesissparrow

Since there are plans to do a trilogy I bet my money they'll do Destination Moon/ Explorers on the Moon since that is one of the more famous one.

I would like them to do either the following: Tintin in Tibet, Flight 714, or the Calculus Affair.

Katarn07

Finn said:
throw me ten random superhero names out of Marvel comic books and I probably wouldn't recognize the half of them.

Neither would I ;)

Well, at any rate, this is something I'll have to keep in the back of my head.

Finn

Staff member
Katarn07 said:
Well, at any rate, this is something I'll have to keep in the back of my head.
All of the comics have been translated to English and getting your hands on them shouldn't be that hard at all so I certainly recommend you to check it out. The stories have carried their toll of time extremely well and still feel fresh and exciting.

jonesissparrow said:
Since there are plans to do a trilogy I bet my money they'll do Destination Moon/ Explorers on the Moon since that is one of the more famous one.
That red-and-white chessboard of a rocket is iconic, yeah.

I doubt it, however. It's kind of bland locationwise (first the base, then moon and that's about it). Plus, it has this certain stowaway character whose previous history with Tintin would take some 'splaining to do.

Shazam

Finn said:
All of the comics have been translated to English and getting your hands on them shouldn't be that hard at all so I certainly recommend you to check it out. The stories have carried their toll of time extremely well and still feel fresh and exciting.

So Congo has been translated? I knew Land of the Soviets had but I hadn't heared about Congo.
I have been a Tintin fan since grade school (it's how I stayed awake in class;) ) Saw a book at Barnes and Nobel the other day Tintin: The Complete Companion It had fascinating info on Herge and the characters.

Finn

Staff member
Shazam said:
So Congo has been translated?
Sure it has.

TinTin_Congo.jpg

Yeah, I'm aware of all the controversy surrounding it so I'm not sure how easy it's going to be grabbing one, but there're English copies out there, nevertheless...

fixer79

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to this...
Being a comic fan from Belgium, I've been a Tintin fan since I can remember.

I've wrote it before, but the fact that Hergé himself wanted Spielberg to helm a Tintin movie gives me confidence that this project will truly be special.

I just hope that his origin remains intact...
As much as you Americans want G.I. Joe to remain American, I want Tintin to remain a boy from Brussels...

By the way... I don't know if you guys heard, but apparently Andy Serkis, who provided performance capture for Gollum in 'The Lord of the Rings' and King Kong in... well, 'King Kong' might be playing Haddock in the upcoming Tintin movie...

Check it out here;
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6606

ReggieSnake

I've read all these books many, many times. They are really unique as graphic novels go, and I don't think anything has been written since to compare.

There is lots of detail and the characters are very real and endearing, but they still have that fun, re-ocurring gag humor that makes them so much like the Indy films.
Another interesting parallel, Tintin also encounters the supernatural on several occasions. Capt. Haddock is my favorite character.

I'm a bit wary of the 3D, and even the making of the films in general, but if anyone can do the series justice it would be Spielberg and Jackson. I think they care enough to make them with that in mind. It'll be tough to successfully recreate these characters so that I'm happy, but if they can do it- more power to them.:hat:

Kingsley

Well, it seems 17 year old Thomas Sangster will play Tintin.
And Andy Serkis (the gollum) will play Captain Haddock.

Spielberg casts British teenager as Tintin

I was very young when I read the books, in german. So I don't remember the details anymore, but I like the characters very much... I don't even know how many books I've read. But every cover I see, I remember it!