The Adventures of Tintin

Goonie

fixer79 said:
News from the front, ladies & gents...
Apparently, Universal Pictures Says "No" To Spielberg & Jackson's Tintin movie...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38410

Odd news...

And I wonder when we'll FINALLY get to see at least one bleeping teaser image...

Maybe now that Tintin may not be made, there's a chance we may get Indy V sooner! (y) However, then there's Spielberg's relationship with Paramount.:(

emtiem

The press release:

Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment Announce the January 26 Start of Principal Photography on the 3D Motion Capture Feature The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn Directed by Steven Spielberg and Starring Jamie Bell and Daniel Craig

Paramount Pictures and Sony Pictures Entertainment have announced the start of principal production in Los Angeles on the 3D Motion Capture Film The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Jamie Bell (Billy Elliot, Defiance) as Tintin, the intrepid young reporter whose relentless pursuit of a good story thrusts him into a world of high adventure, and Daniel Craig (Quantum of Solace, Defiance) as the nefarious Red Rackham.

Bell and Craig are joined by an international cast that includes Andy Serkis, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Gad Elmaleh, Toby Jones and Mackenzie Crook.

The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn, from a screenplay by Steven Moffat, Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish, is produced by Spielberg, Peter Jackson and Kathleen Kennedy, is the first in the series of 3D motion capture films based on the iconic character created by Georges Remi, better known to the world by his pen name “Herge” and is due for release in 2011. Executive producers are Nick Rodwell, Stephane Sperry and Ken Kamins. Paramount Pictures will release domestically and in all English speaking territories and Asia, excluding India. Sony Pictures Releasing International will distribute the film in Continental Europe, Eastern Europe, Latin America, India and the remainder of the world.

The second feature in the series is scheduled to be directed by Jackson, with a potential for a third film as well.

Eighty years ago, Herge introduced the world to a unique cast of characters who have been embraced by readers of all ages. The Adventures of Tintin - a series of 24 books, the final unfinished adventure was published after Herge’s - death became Herge’s life’s work. The first adventure was published in 1929. Over 200 million copies have been sold worldwide. The popular series has been translated into 70 languages and still attracts thousands of new fans each year.

Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson will bring Herge’s stories to life employing state-of-the-art performance capture technology developed by Jackson’s Weta Digital.​

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=52288

A 1930's-set adventure movie directed by Spielberg, written by Dr Who and general sitcom genuis Steven Moffat , the director of Shaun of the Dead (and featuring the two stars of that) and half of the funniest show on the radio (Adam & Joe) and co-starring James Bond? This is pretty much my dream film. I'm there.
Tintin? I can take or leave him, but the talent involved makes it unmissable.

jamesdude

TinTin....a 3D stop motion feature?

this will defintely be a flop. i was hoping for a live action movie.

TinTin (2009) gets (n) (n)

fixer79

jamesdude said:
TinTin....a 3D stop motion feature?

this will defintely be a flop. i was hoping for a live action movie.

TinTin (2009) gets (n) (n)

A 3D motion capture feature...
Not the same as a 3D stop motion feature AT ALL.
Nightmare Before Christmas was stop motion. This'll be like Monster House, Polar Express or Beowulf.

Anyway, If you want to see Tintin in live action...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058663/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055526/

Nurhachi1991 said:
I want a Rin Tin Tin movie!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039763/

:p

Anyway, I'm glad to hear Gad Elmaleh got cast. This Casablanca-born French comedian is one of the best in the field right now. It isn't announced what he'll be playing but I bet it's Calculus...

gad_elmaleh_007.jpg

Wilhelm

I also thought he could be Calculus, but one of the characters is Omar Ben Salaad "a larger-than-life arms dealer with 14 wives and a commanding voice" that lives in Morocco. He's the main villain of the story, so he could play that part.

fixer79

Wilhelm said:
I also thought he could be Calculus, but one of the characters is Omar Ben Salaad "a larger-than-life arms dealer with 14 wives and a commanding voice" that lives in Morocco. He's the main villain of the story, so he could play that part.

Oh, I totally forgot about Omar Ben Salaad ... You're probably right.
Elmaleh'll probably be playing him...
I guess they'll give Calculus' role to an English or American actor...

Too bad though...

TheMutt92

Anyone else here thing that if Tintin is successful and Spielberg enjoys making it, we may see Indy 5 sooner than later? (Seeing as Spielberg discovered Tintin through a comparison after making Raiders)

Bjorn Heimdall

I just realised that Simon Pegg looks exactly like Tintin. I think he should switch parts with... is it Jamie Bell?

I wanted this to be a live action film, I think it would have been a lot more interesting.

Morning Bell

I remember the cartoon that ran on Nickelodeon years ago. It was decent and the animation was okay, which gives me some hope for a good film. I might check this one out if it looks good.

The Man

No Surprise...

John Williams will be doing the score for The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn. Confirmation comes from Williams? agent. I?m not sure if this implies that he?ll be doing the score for the other two films in the trilogy, although I suppose for consistency that makes the most sense.

fixer79

That's great news! :)
I was kind of hoping he'd do the score...
Thanks for the heads up, the Man!

Still no images have surfaced though... I'm sure they exist, since they've been doing tests and stuff for a few years now...
I hope they won't keep us waiting for too long...

Finn

Staff member
fixer79 said:
Oh, I totally forgot about Omar Ben Salaad ... You're probably right.
Elmaleh'll probably be playing him...
I guess they'll give Calculus' role to an English or American actor...
There's also a pair of bumbling detectives in the story who definitely are comedy characters.

Finn

Staff member
Unless there's an other pair who have been scissored out of all the albums I've read.

|ZiR|

I thought those were their names. I've only ever seen the cartoon programme, and that was when I was very young.

I'm just trying to learn, Finnbar.

Finn

Staff member
I'm sorry Zirconster, but how could I know are you one of the knowledgeables or not...

The Man

Over To Jackson...

Steven Spielberg this week will quietly wrap 32 days of performance-capture lensing on "Tintin," then hand the project to producer Peter Jackson, who will focus on the film's special effects for the next 18 months.

Spielberg will receive sole directing credit on the first film, though even that distinction seems murky given that Jackson is doing the more time-consuming work, spending a year and a half creating the Tintin's world vs. Spielberg's one month on set. Jackson also traveled to Los Angeles for rehearsals and for the first week of shooting.

TheMutt92

Spielberg will receive sole directing credit on the first film, though even that distinction seems murky given that Jackson is doing the more time-consuming work, spending a year and a half creating the Tintin's world vs. Spielberg's one month on set. Jackson also traveled to Los Angeles for rehearsals and for the first week of shooting.

I think Spielberg still deserves full credit for directing. I mean, Jackson may be working on the SFX part of the film (which is a lot of work, don't get me wrong), but isn't that for the most part just working over Spielberg's material? And even if it isn't, Jackson sends the material over for approval, right? So in that respect, Jackson's role is no more different than the heads of the visual effects departments on all of his films. Spielberg is still the main man in charge of this film (and don't forget he still has to help edit and oversee music).