The Adventures of Tintin

Wilhelm

It's the same type of colaboration in the Indiana Jones movies.

Lucas / Spielberg - Jackson / Spielberg - ILM / Weta Digital.

jonesissparrow said:
Oh I plan to, I remember watching the TV show on Nickelodeon and I was little and I very entertained and I forgotten about it over the years until now. I never knew that Tintin was a comic strip from france till a year ago. Now I want to read every Tintin comic imagined. It's going to look awesome on the big screen a CGI version of the comic book they say.

I HOPE THIS WRITER'S STRIKE END SO THEY CAN DO THIS FILM, I WANT TO SEE THIS BADLY!!!

Can you still watch the Episodes on Youtube:confused:, i would love to see the series(y)

The Man

Tough Gig For Some...

?I need a week to really get a scene into my head. And you?ve got Steven Spielberg and Kathy Kennedy, who?s the most powerful woman in Hollywood, and Peter Jackson, who?s co-directing from New Zealand using iChat! It was the most stressful thing I?ve ever done. Having said that, Spielberg was amazing. Sometimes he?d run on at the end of a scene and do a little dance and punch the air.?

The Man

Empire Gets Pimpin'...

For more on the film, lots more from Spielberg and interviews and shoots with names so big we can't print them here for fear of completely blowing your mind, pick up the 20th birthday issue of Empire when it hits newsstands next Thursday.

33325.jpg

fixer79

Aaah, finally a picture! Thanks a bunch, The Man!
Cool to see that they've put those comic images on the walls there :)

I wonder when we'll get to see some rendered stills...
I'm dying to see what the characters will look like...

NoCamels

Motion capture, eh? I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. I loved the '80s cartoon....guess I'll have to wait and see.

The Man

A Slow Sail to America...

The mocap extravaganza, the first of a planned two-parter (the second instalment will be directed by Peter Jackson), will hit our (British) shores in late October/early November, thanks to a belief by Sony Pictures and Paramount Pictures that Tintin has greater overseas appeal.

The US will get to see the bequiffed boy detective solve a mysterious crime on December 23, 2011.

RedeemedChild

NoCamels said:
Motion capture, eh? I'm honestly not sure how I feel about that. I loved the '80s cartoon....guess I'll have to wait and see.

Eh? What's wrong with Motion Capture? It was splendid, captivating, beautiful and magical in The Polar Express and I'm sure it will be just as magical in TinTin if done right and with Steven Spielburg and Peter Jackson's Weta Digital creating the movie then what could go wrong?

fixer79

RedeemedChild said:
Eh? What's wrong with Motion Capture? It was splendid, captivating, beautiful and magical in The Polar Express and I'm sure it will be just as magical in TinTin if done right and with Steven Spielburg and Peter Jackson's Weta Digital creating the movie then what could go wrong?

Agreed, MoCap is a wonderful tool and can lead to amazing results...

What I'm a bit worried about is they're going for the photoreal look while still keeping Hergé's style... I really don't know how that will look...
The thing I'm most nervous about is the eyes... Rendering those photorealistically in Hergé's style would mean they'll be shiny black oval beads... While I can see that working in long or medium shots, I'm afraid it'll look kinda spooky in close-ups.

I don't know if you guys are aware of it, but they're currently finishing a CG motion picture based on an internationally lesser known Belgian comic called
'Suske en Wiske' (Spike and Suzy).
Apparently they've suddenly changed their English comic names from Spike and Suzy to Luke and Lucy. Go figure why.

Anyway, they look like this in the movie:

974620-1214024.jpg

I reckon the Tintin characters will look somewhat like this, since the style of Spike and Suzy comics was pretty close (though somewhat inferior) to the Hergé style.

http://www.lukeandlucymovie.com/en/index.html

RedeemedChild

fixer79 said:
Agreed, MoCap is a wonderful tool and can lead to amazing results...

What I'm a bit worried about is they're going for the photoreal look while still keeping Hergé's style... I really don't know how that will look...
The thing I'm most nervous about is the eyes... Rendering those photorealistically in Hergé's style would mean they'll be shiny black oval beads... While I can see that working in long or medium shots, I'm afraid it'll look kinda spooky in close-ups.

I don't know if you guys are aware of it, but they're currently finishing a CG motion picture based on an internationally lesser known Belgian comic called
'Suske en Wiske' (Spike and Suzy).
Apparently they've suddenly changed their English comic names from Spike and Suzy to Luke and Lucy. Go figure why.

Anyway, they look like this in the movie:

974620-1214024.jpg

I reckon the Tintin characters will look somewhat like this, since the style of Spike and Suzy comics was pretty close (though somewhat inferior) to the Hergé style.

http://www.lukeandlucymovie.com/en/index.html

RC gasps at the image on his computer screen, rises out of his seat and backs away from his computer in dismay. RC begins to rasp for air as his eyes widen.

He then places his hand on his chest as he staggers back toward his screen in an attempt to ensure that he has seen the image on his screen correctly and once again finds himself shocked by the primitive character designs.

RC stretches his arm out and opens his hand. There is a flash of light and a hammer materializes in his hand, he then grasp the handle in both hands and raises it over his head and with a mighty SWOOSH he brings it down only to stop a breath of an inch away from descimating the innocent computer which connot help the image currently being displayed on screen. RC chooses to use self-control and tosses the hammer into the air and with a mighty boom and flash of orange light it dematerilizes.

RC sits back into his chair and sighs.

Well I sure hope Steven Spielberg will choose better character designs than those.

fixer79

LOL!
Well, I know from a good source that that was the very same reaction an American who was asked to work on the film had, when he saw the models for the first time.
I take it you'd never seen the original comic book characters either then. :)

Thing is that they tried to match the comic book style as close as they could. Watch this:

Suske&wiske.gif

Notice the similarity with Hergé's style? It is there.

See, they might work great as comic book characters, but that doesn't mean all of them will translate well to 3D.

Take that woman's hair for example. Even in front view, the hair could be drawn like you see it here from an angle. But on a 3D model, that same hairdo will now poke out at you in front view, pretty much like you can see on the
3D render that horrified you.
In order to fix this ugly effect, you'd be forced to somehow always show the hairdo from an angle in 3D, whatever way the character is facing.
That would result in something even more ugly: a hairdo with a life of its own!

The reason I gave this little rant about the ugly woman's hairdo is because they will have the exact same problem with Tintin's hair. In the comic, it is always drawn exactly the same, whether Tintin is facing sideways, 3/4 or to the front. Pretty much like Mickey Mouse's ears...
Translated to 3D, the problem arises.

And that's just one of the problems you can encounter when translating a character from his 2D realm to 3D.
Although Spielberg's artists are certainly top notch, they'll be forced to bring out every fibre of wit and talent to 100% successfully bring out Hergé's world in 3D.
I for one, am keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

avidfilmbuff

I only discovered Tintin a couple of months ago, but I became so impressed by it that I read all of the stories within a month. The only ones I didn't read were Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin and the Congo, and Tintin and the Alph-art. To date, Tintin is the only comic I enjoy, I can't wait to see what Spielberg does with it.

RedeemedChild

fixer79 said:
LOL!
Well, I know from a good source that that was the very same reaction an American who was asked to work on the film had, when he saw the models for the first time.
I take it you'd never seen the original comic book characters either then. :)

Thing is that they tried to match the comic book style as close as they could. Watch this:

Suske&wiske.gif

Notice the similarity with Hergé's style? It is there.

See, they might work great as comic book characters, but that doesn't mean all of them will translate well to 3D.

Take that woman's hair for example. Even in front view, the hair could be drawn like you see it here from an angle. But on a 3D model, that same hairdo will now poke out at you in front view, pretty much like you can see on the
3D render that horrified you.
In order to fix this ugly effect, you'd be forced to somehow always show the hairdo from an angle in 3D, whatever way the character is facing.
That would result in something even more ugly: a hairdo with a life of its own!

The reason I gave this little rant about the ugly woman's hairdo is because they will have the exact same problem with Tintin's hair. In the comic, it is always drawn exactly the same, whether Tintin is facing sideways, 3/4 or to the front. Pretty much like Mickey Mouse's ears...
Translated to 3D, the problem arises.

And that's just one of the problems you can encounter when translating a character from his 2D realm to 3D.
Although Spielberg's artists are certainly top notch, they'll be forced to bring out every fibre of wit and talent to 100% successfully bring out Hergé's world in 3D.
I for one, am keeping my fingers crossed. ;)

Thank you fixer79. I am aware of the comic book art style BTW but I was hoping that like George Lucas and Dave Filoni adjusted the art style of Genddy Tartakovsky from the 2D Clone Wars so it would look better in the new and improved 3D Star Wars The Clone Wars I had hoped that Steven Spielburg would adjust the character designs for Tin Tin.

Perhaps some things were never intended to be transition to CGI. Certain things look better in traditional animation while others look good in CGI. I think I just might end up going with Marvel's new Thor animated series next.

fixer79

RedeemedChild said:
Perhaps some things were never intended to be transition to CGI. Certain things look better in traditional animation while others look good in CGI.

You're absolutely right... That's certainly something I'm afraid of.
Still, I'm sure Spielberg will make the right decisions in translating Tintin to the 3D realm. Luckily, he's a big fan of the original material. I don't think he'd harm it.

The reason I have faith in Spielberg on this matter is that Hergé himself had it too. After all, his wish was that if ever Tintin would be made into a movie, Spielberg would be the one to do it. Guess he'd seen 'Raiders' and liked it a lot. :)

Oh well- time will tell, I reckon. I just hope we'll get to see some stills soon...

Vendetta08

Hope this film is good.

This is actually the first fully motion capture film that is NOT being made by Robert Zemeckis. The technology is quickly getting better and better.

fixer79

Vendetta08 said:
Hope this film is good.

This is actually the first fully motion capture film that is NOT being made by Robert Zemeckis. The technology is quickly getting better and better.

I thought Monster House was the first without Zemeckis...

fixer79

Vendetta08 said:
Zemeckis produced Monster House and it was made through his production company.

Riiiight, completely forgot that!
Strange indeed that no one else attempted it until now.