Menu music on the DVDs

Adamwankenobi

So I received my Vol. 1 DVDs today from Amazon. Each menu has Lawrence Rosenthal's musical theme that originally played during the opening credits of each episode.

Given that Lucas removed those openings for the VHS and DVD releases, isn't it a little strange he would include the theme song on the menus?

gallandro

No because the theme is featured, or at least referenced in a number of episodes. There's a full blown version in Mexico 1916, and it makes a brief appearance in Vienna 1908 to name a few moments.

Yancy

Flannery10

Thank god, they did! I really liked the opening theme, it had a nice Indy feeling to it and I'm happy that it will live one in the menus and episodes.

gallandro

You all take this very personally, don't you?

Give me a break, the theme was featured on four soundtrack albums... why would it even be remotely surprising to hear the show's theme song featured?

In the infamous words of Ham Salad: "Relax kid, it's only a movie."

Yancy

Last edited:

Avilos

gallandro said:
You all take this very personally, don't you?

Give me a break, the theme was featured on four soundtrack albums... why would it even be remotely surprising to hear the show's theme song featured?

In the infamous words of Ham Salad: "Relax kid, it's only a movie."

Yancy

Well I would not have worded it so strongly.... Even if I agree with the general point!;)

Bottomline - Lucas wants the show to be viewed in chronological order. Also for each to be seen as separate movies. So to be more movie like these don't have a TV style opening credit sequence. But Lucas STILL likes that theme music. He did not cut the opening credits because he does not like the music. Only that having the same credit sequence for every movie does not fit the current format.

That's it. There is no larger meaning or conspiracy to it than that.

Last edited:

Adamwankenobi

Unfortunately for Lucas, the series doesn't quite work in a feature film format since a lot of the stories were designed as fourty-five minute episodes. Editing two together doesn't change the fact that they are televsion episodes edited together.

And certain stories don't work together at all. For example, "My First Adventure" cuts off the Jackal story and suddenly shifts focus to a completely different story which has a noticeably older Corey Carrier playing Indy at supposedly the same age as the Jackal story. In the original aired episode, Old Indy put the Jackal story in content, and the Corey Carrier segment of the Jackal story was resolved immediately with the Sean Patrick Flanery segment of the Jackal story.