films that have inspired you

Pale Horse

Staff member
Attila the Professor said:
12 Angry Men - viewpoint is the most important thing in attempts to find the truth

1776 - what seems, in hindsight, as if it were destiny for some untouchable demigods could really have been incredibly difficult for ordinary men to achieve

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Against incredible odds, right, justice, and innocence can prevail

Harvey - it's the sane who are really crazy

That's four...I'll leave the fifth spot open.

I will be along with mine in a few, but your list is very insightful, if not inspirational. I have missed you my old friend.

BTW: I thought you might have some insight, or words in the "Marcus Brody Tribute" in the Classic Forum.

My Whips Bigger

1. Indy Trilogy - Always been with me, always will! The most nostalgic movie of all time, great action, great jokes, re-watchable fun!

2. Ed - Gotta love it when that chimp farts!

3. Star Wars - It's okay, but I was promised a large sum of money from a certain tycoon if I mentioned it's name here... oops!

4. Six Dyas Seven Nights - Okay, I really do love this one! Better than Casablanca or was it The African Queen? I dunno, but Anne's real funny.

5. Baby Geniuses - Babies dancing along to Irvin Berlin.... what more could you ask for?

00Kevin

Indyfan
u guys didn't think 00Kevin would pass one of these up

1) Indiana Jones Flicks......a big part is that is got me interested in History, expecially WW1 and 2

2 and 3)west side Story/the blue brothers...yeah, I'm afraid some people actually go around doing those silly dances and walks :D

4)Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure/Bogus Journey.....uhhhhhh, no comment

technically that's 7 movies, so I'll leave it at that

chipuk

This is an interesting thread,

1) Shindlers list - just found it moved me.

2) The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

3) Original Star Wars Trilogy - what 11 year old boy wouldnt want an adventure in another galaxy

4) Raiders - the ultimate adventure

5) The great escape -

chipuk

Indygirl21 said:
Life is Beautiful definitely moves me, and so does It's a Wonderful Life. Both of them inspire me to live in the moment and realize that there's always a silver lining to every cloud in our lives.

I have to agree with you on that.

which version did you watch. there are 2,
1 dubbed in english
2 italian with english subtitles

having seen both there is something I cant put my finger on,
but seeing it in its original format just gives it an edge.

Tennessee R

Attila the Professor said:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Against incredible odds, right, justice, and innocence can prevail

Harvey - it's the sane who are really crazy

Those were very good choices, Attila.
I wouldn't say Harvey inspired me (although I like it very much), but Mr. Smith is a great inspiration.

Grumpus:
Harvey has James Stewert, playing a drunk. He sees a 6' (What is it: 2.5"? "Let's stick to the facts now" :) ) Rabbit.
He is the kind of person that you wish everybody was.

"My mother said, "In this world, you have to be either 'oh so smart', or 'oh so pleasant'." Well, for years, I was smart, but I choose pleasant"
:D

Chipuk-

To answer your question, I watched the Italian version with English subtitles. Even though I don't speak Italian, i loved hearing them speak the language (like when Guido says "buongiorno Princepesa!")

I also have to agree about Schindler's List, I forgot to add that one on my previous post. This movie made me consider the value of human life and that good will always find a way to triumph over evil.

the hammer42

Pretty much all the Harrison Ford movies.
I believe in doing the right thing at the right time.
No matter who's path you cross.

chipuk

I think it flowed better, the language is quite fast and matched
the film better.

I wasnt even affected by reading the subtitles at the same time
which normally I have a problem with doing.

Good choice

QueZTone

well....

there are movies with a 'vision' and movies that just tell a nice story..

Movies that are just good:

Once Upon a Time in the West
Once Upon a Time in America
Blade Runner
Dollars Trilogy
Cleopatra
Dances with Wolves
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Star Wars Trilogy
etc

Movies with a vision that moved me:

2001: a space oddysey
and now i can't think of others...bummer....help me out here!

chipuk

I was just thinking about platoon,

And I remember the haunting music score that went with it.
I dont think it would have been as good without it.
Whenever I hear it I can pick out the exact scene.
Certainly makes me think about it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
hffan2000 said:
film is a medium that has the power to move and inspire all of us. what are some that have inspired you?

I hate to me semantic (though it's better than antisemitic) and I hate to be redundant but INSPIRED to what....

7 entries found for inspire.
in·spire ( P ) Pronunciation Key (n-spr)
v. in·spired, in·spir·ing, in·spires
v. tr.
1. To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence.
2. To fill with enlivening or exalting emotion: hymns that inspire the congregation; an artist who was inspired by Impressionism.
3. To stimulate to action; motivate: a sales force that was inspired by the prospect of a bonus.
4. To affect or touch: The falling leaves inspired her with sadness.
5. To draw forth; elicit or arouse: a teacher who inspired admiration and respect.
6. To be the cause or source of; bring about: an invention that inspired many imitations.
7. To draw in (air) by inhaling. Archaic. To breathe on. To breathe life into.

hffan2000

i mean that they have inspired you to change something about yourself or even made you think about things you never have. they may have even reaffirmed truths you hold dear.

chipuk

Re: Re: films that have inspired you

Pale Horse said:
I hate to me semantic (though it's better than antisemitic) and I hate to be redundant but INSPIRED to what....

I found this definition

1) to make someone have a particular strong feeling or reaction

For example that someone watched saving private ryan
and after the first 5 minutes couldnt believe the courage and horror they had to go through to get from the boats onto the shore. IMHO.

Indyz Azn Gurl

Indy of course for personal reasons.

Any Jackie Chan movie...inspires me to be a better martial artist.

And Mulan...to believe what you think it's right, despite your gender. ^_^

Urmel

I can't really say a film has inspired me, but some of them really impressed and also helped me to keep something on my mind which I forgot in daily routine.

So my favorites are:

Braveheart, Forrest Gump, The Green Mile, as well as the Indiana Jones Trilogy.
The Passion Christi was also special for me.

Tennessee R said:
Indiana Jones,
[...],[...] movies.

They inspire me to go out and make adventures.

So do I feel when watching these films.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Inspiration

Okay so I busted chops about what inspiration meant and so forth. Well I have done some concentrated study of that medium I love so well and I pulled together a list of 5 films that watch all the time and ons that have inspired me in different ways. They are as follows:

Usual Suspects: This movie is inspirational because it demonstrates a very important truth that two musical groups I like have put into song. One was Extreme and their album III Sides to Every Story: Yours, Mine and the Truth and B***Hole Surfers with their song Pepper and the lyric in the song "You never know just how you look through other peoples eyes..."

The point is this, you can construct yourself anyway you want, but in the end it all amounts to lies. Think of that a while and you'll be inspired to constantly examine your life for hypocricy and inconsistancy.

The Shawshank Redemption: This movie is very inspirational to me because when I get into a period of depression from realizing my state created in the movie above, this one clearly presents a message hope.

As is written over the gates of Hell: "Abandon all Hope, ye who enter here." For Andy, his hope and salvation lied within the pages of the Bible. So does mine.

A Few Good Men: I am inspiried by this movie because I have a habit of not finishing anything. I can plea bargin myself out of anything (to a point). McAffe learns the value of persistance and courage when all hope is lost.

I am inspiried to pursue my oft and outlying arguements and thinking because it just may catch somone off guard, and I might make a difference in someones life because of it.

The Devils Advocate Inspires me to learn my Bible. 'Nuff said.

and lastly for this list

Tin Cup: "The critical opening phrase of this poem will always be the grip. Which the hands unite to form a single unit by the simple overlap of the little finger. Lowly and slowly the clubhead is led back. Pulled into position not by the hands, but by the body which turns away from the target shifting weight to the right side without shifting balance. Tempo is everything; perfection unobtainable as the body coils down at the top of the swing. Theres a slight hesitation. A little nod to the gods. That he is fallible. That perfection is unobtainable. And now the weight begins shifting back to the left pulled by the powers inside the earth. It's alive, this swing! A living sculpture and down through contact, always down, striking the ball crisply, with character. A tuning fork goes off in your heart and your balls. Such a pure feeling is the well-struck golf shot. Now the follow through to finish. Always on line. The reverse C of the Golden Bear! The steel workers' power and brawn of Carl Sandburg's. Arnold Palmer! And end [in] the unfinished symphony of [Pale Horse]."

Now that is the perfect blend between Eastern and Western thinking. It's alpha and omega. It's Old Testament and New...it sums up all of the movies listed before it and it does it in a entirely fun way.

Last edited:

chipuk

Its been an interesting thread,
people are inspired for all different reasons, what emotions
they have been feeling whilst watching a particular film, thoughts of past present and future. Human situation and how they deal with it. Stiring music etc.

I have enjoyed reading it.