Best trap/contraption?

hovitos

I know the rolling boulder and ToDs spike room are crowd favourites, but are there any other wonderful devices close to you heart from the books or games? How about the dart traps from Emperor's Tomb? Or the light trap on the 'Return to Peru' level in Infernal Machine? Does the Atlantis game or books have much to offer?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I quite like the Chinese puzzle bridge in the Kong Tien level in Emperor's Tomb. And the disappearing steps in the Emperor's Tomb level.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Oh, hmm. I've just been playing through Infernal Machine for the first time and years, and have been pretty impressed by the sheer scale of the game, and the ingenuity of the puzzles. To pick one in particular, however...I don't know, in fact, although I'd say the whole of the Meroe level is particularly well-designed, with the light-ray puzzle at its core. That doesn't quite answer the question though.

Apart from the ToD spike room, I've also always been fond of "The Breath of God."

Come to think of it, the Max McCoy books had some great trap set pieces - the ending of Hollow Earth, with soldiers of different eras emerging from the wall and attacking was memorable, as were both the introductory segment of Secret of the Sphinx, in the tomb of Qin Shi Huang, and the same book's conclusion, beneath the sphinx with the Omega Book, was quite good.

Gear

I thought that the "spike block" from the Ceylon chapter was very clever; how had to roll over the iron mesh to trigger the trap in order to procced.
I also liked the traps set in the emperors tomb, they were alot like those in Last Crusade.

Doctorjones

There's a good trap in Indy and the Infernal machine. In Shambala Sanctuary in the room where you water the plant the Holy woman needs, when you go into another room there is an Idol on the wall. When you pick it up the floor breaks away and Indy falls to his death. Then in the same room, when you continue down the passage there is a big log swinging back and forth. Indy must crawl to get past it.

Nothing beats "The Lion's Head Bridge".

It has the factor of being the only one actually built to function as intended in the real world. All the others are 'movie' magic or video game code.

No Ticket

I'm just going with the crowd favorite of TOD spike room.

That's just as cool as it gets. Movie magic and all.