TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Literature
User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2011, 03:34 AM   #276
Raiders112390
IndyFan

Dinosaur Eggs was definitely my favorite. Reading through it I wished it was made into a movie.

Secret of the Sphinx would be next on my list, followed by Philosopher's Stone and Peril at Delphi.

Really should've adapted these books into movies or YIJC episodes.
Raiders112390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM   #277
IndyBr
IndyFan

I don't think Interior World is as bad as you guys say...
I actually kind of like it
Specially the first chapters, and the building suspense with ghost ship, the picture in the restaurant with the ravens, it's all very scary.
I do think it gets too fantastical along the way, specially the living maze, the transformations.. well, the whole interior world concept. But somehow I enjoyed it... I love how Indy is right in the middle of something he doesn't understand or believe, his resistance to accept the situation is very funny.

As for my favorite novel... I'm not sure I have one, but for now I say Seven Veils.
IndyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #278
Junior Jones
IndyFan

Re: Interior World
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBr
I love how Indy is right in the middle of something he doesn't understand or believe...

My problem is that Indy is in the middle of something I don't understand or believe.
Junior Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #279
Attila the Professor

Maybe a number of those who haven't had the pleasure of reading the books should see if they have ready access to them, by way of library or cheap paperbacks online, and we can get going with a little reading group, see if we can make heads or tails of Interior World...
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #280
IndyBr
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Jones
Re: Interior World

My problem is that Indy is in the middle of something I don't understand or believe.

Hahahaha, I do get you point.
That's everybody's major problem with the novel I think (even mine, as I said above), but the thing is... we can relate to Indy in his feelings about what the hell is going on (if anything is going on at all!).

Well, I don't know, I just enjoyed it... very odd.
But I really don't like the cover.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:46 AM   #281
LawgSkrak
IndyFan

I'm reading Interior World for the first time (Had the book since it came out, but somehow skipped reading it ), and I'm enjoying it so far. I'm about halfway through.
LawgSkrak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #282
IndyBr
IndyFan

Good thing I'm not the only one.
Hahaha.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #283
HovitosKing
IndyFan

I probably mentioned this before, but I really liked the books by Max McCoy, especially Secret of the Sphinx. He really did a nice job focusing on the environments...such as tombs, catacombs, etc., really brought those tricky dungeon labyrinths to life for Indy. Also he had Sallah in his stories.
HovitosKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 AM   #284
whipwarrior
IndyFan

I know exactly what you mean. Dungeon labyrinth scenes are a b**ch to write.
whipwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #285
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan

hmm i am definitely going to go with Philosopher's Stone because it is a lot like Raiders in a few ways. it was just an amazing adventure that you couldnt stop reading. a few of the other books were like that too, like Hollow Earth, Secret of the Sphinx, and a few others. dont get me wrong, all of them were great. i think that Seven veils was the worst one, but it still wasnt terrible. but i'd say Max McCoy is the best Indy author of them all
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #286
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

A bit lost with the novels...

So Ive read all the comics and all that but was thinking on starting out with the novel world. I already have the movie novelizations, so which ones would u recommend, which ones are the most popular, where can i find a list with all the novels published??

Thanks in advance,

LJ

Ps. I would really be interested in the french novels as ive heard some were published only in this language and im learning it right now, if anyone could give me the list would be great.
Luisiana Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #287
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
THREADS MERGED.

Ok, LJ, I think a great place to start would be to have a look around this thread.

There are a number of threads on the novels (the vast majority released in the 90s).

But the following would be what I recommend to read for homework:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5425 - General novel thread
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19331 - Army of the Dead novel review.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5858 - Rob McGregor
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5871 - Max McCoy

In terms of French stuff:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18283 - Very good place to start, the Grimoire Maudit thread.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #288
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet
THREADS MERGED.

Ok, LJ, I think a great place to start would be to have a look around this thread.

There are a number of threads on the novels (the vast majority released in the 90s).

But the following would be what I recommend to read for homework:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5425 - General novel thread
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=19331 - Army of the Dead novel review.
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5858 - Rob McGregor
http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=5871 - Max McCoy

In terms of French stuff:

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=18283 - Very good place to start, the Grimoire Maudit thread.

Thanks a lot for the quick and effective reply

Regards,

LJ
Old 05-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #289
Luisiana Jones
IndyFan

Just got the 12 main Adult novels + army of dead off Amazon at a great price. Hopefully theyll be worth the read and if not as collectibles they shall remain (like yoda would say)

Thx again for the info,

LJ
Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #290
InexorableTash
IndyFan

It is good to know that two of the three original Indy novels I've read are those with no votes... 'cause they were *terrible*, and made me despair of ever reading a decent one.

I do wish I had the time to frequent used bookstores for cheap bargains like I did when I was in college. I can't wait for the publishers to get with the 21st Century and dump their entire back catalogs into ebook format, charging a pittance for books like these and making back the investment in volume.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #291
Attila the Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash
It is good to know that two of the three original Indy novels I've read are those with no votes... 'cause they were *terrible*, and made me despair of ever reading a decent one.

Unicorn's Legacy is a little more interesting when read in sequence. It feels a bit like an interlude between grander chapters.

And Sky Pirates...eh, most of what's good in Sky Pirates is Indy's band of associates. Not awful, but not Indy either.
Attila the Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:50 AM   #292
Caidanbi
IndyFan

I enjoy reading all of them! Sky Pirates and White Witch are my least favorite, but I still read them once in a while, parts of them are good. The others I really like a lot ^-^ Secret of the Sphinx was really cool, and I also like Genesis Deluge a lot. I so wish they would release them all as ebooks already!!!
Caidanbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #293
Marshall2288
IndyFan

What is the Best 90's Indy novel?

I'm a big reader. I'm also kind of a timeline and plot "Nazi". I like to know EVERYTHING going on that the reader is supposed to know. I also like reading things in order or at least the order they were intended to be read in. That being said, after knocking out all the Game Of Thrones books, Black hawk Down, American Sniper ext books and all Michael Connelly "whodunit" books I need something to read. I made the mistake of checking Amazon and reading reviews some of which were not appealing. So....where to start?
Marshall2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #294
Moedred
Administrator

Looks like we lost the poll from the thread formerly known as #16435, here's where it last stood, from the Google cache...

Peril At Delphi - 6
Dance of the Giants - 6
Seven Veils - 2
Genesis Deluge - 5
Unicorn's Legacy - 0
Interior World - 3
Sky Pirates - 0
White Witch - 1
Philosopher's Stone - 16
Dinosaur Eggs - 8
Hollow Earth - 8
Secret Of The Sphinx - 11
Moedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #295
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by InexorableTash

So... based on this thread I ordered dirt cheap copies of the top four poll winners on Amazon:

Philosopher's Stone
Army of the Dead
Secret of the Sphinx - library discard
Dinosaur Eggs - signed by the author, it turns out

Not knowing any better, I read them in the above order. (Tip to others: the 4 Max McCoy books do have a plot arc!). I think I got each book for under a dollar, not counting shipping.

Overall, much better than Sky Pirates and Unicorn's Legacy. I do think Peril at Delphi ranks up there, but it tries too hard to be an "origin story" for my taste.

Army of the Dead was IMHO the most well written, with a good mix of action, character development, and overall structure. It's main problem was that the overall structure of the book is a simple chase and the cuts between parties involved in the chase to check in and ensure that yes, the chase is still going on, gets a little boring after a few iterations. Indy also doesn't do much in the story, but at least he is characterized well. The novel also dives into the action from the start, but without the "teaser" adventure to kick things off. While that's refreshing, I think it does make some of the rest of the novel seem like padding.

Reading those four in a bunch, the trope of Indy losing his identification and needing to wire Marcus for money gets tiring. :P
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #296
jtmitchell
IndyFan

Best Indy novel

Just bought all the Indy novels. So...which one should I start with? Which is the best and the worst?
jtmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:16 PM   #297
indyclone25
IndyFan

read them in order , best way to read them all
indyclone25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #298
IndyBr
IndyFan

Just don't stop reading when you get to the Caidin novels, they're not very good, but what comes after makes up for it.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:17 PM   #299
NukeTheFridge
IndyFan

I felt slightly underwhelmed by Secret of the Sphinx and I stopped reading Army of the Dead after about 30 pages.
NukeTheFridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #300
fixer79
IndyFan

Interesting thread

My girlfriend and I have both read all of the Indiana Jones novels minus the Caidin books.
I tried to read Caidin's Sky Pirates twice but stranded every time. Never finished it. Awfully mediocre compared to what McCoy and MacGregor did with Indy. Probably a decent adventure book, just not an Indy story. Maybe I should give White Witch a chance one day.
Army of the Dead was OK, but not quite as good as the old ones.

My personal favourites are the ones written by Rob MacGregor. He really gets Indy. Each and every one of his Indy books would've made a fine movie. Plus, it shows that he went to great lenghts to research the subjects he wrote about in his Indy books.

Still think it's a darn shame his finished Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings book never got published. Would've loved to read it...

Last edited by fixer79 : 02-10-2015 at 08:02 AM.
fixer79 is offline   Reply With Quote