Williams' score

Grizzlor

You're all forgetting that Williams is only making the music, he is not editing the film. I agree the score was often out of place, but was that John's fault?

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
Outside of Last Crusade, KOTCS (IMHO) is the only other Indiana Jones score that could be regarded, as a piece of classical music in it's own right.
I don't really see how they can have that distinction and RAIDERS and TEMPLE couldn't. CRUSADE and KINGDOM have more subdued scores, with greater subtlety, but that, in and of itself, doesn't mean they're any more successful as works of classical music. But to be honest, nothing Williams has ever done stands as truly great classical music.

agentsands77 said:
I don't really see how they can have that distinction and RAIDERS and TEMPLE couldn't. CRUSADE and KINGDOM have more subdued scores, with greater subtlety, but that, in and of itself, doesn't mean they're any more successful as works of classical music. But to be honest, nothing Williams has ever done stands as truly great classical music.

I would disagree with that. Williams is a contemporary Mozart and if Mozart was alive today he'd probably be scoring films.

agentsands77

Agent Spalko said:
Williams is a contemporary Mozart
I think that's a laughable comparison. Williams isn't even close to Mozart.

And I say this as a big film score/Williams fan. I have probably every score the man's ever produced. But he's not at all in the same league, nor is he even in the list of top composers from the 20th century.

Laugh all you want but he has composed the most memorable operatic film scores. Mozart composed for opera. I think the comparison is justified.

agentsands77

Agent Spalko said:
Laugh all you want but he has composed the most memorable operatic film scores. Mozart composed for opera. I think the comparison is justified.
The comparison comes out of ignorance.

What Mozart did for Western music is incredible. Mozart was a phenomenal innovator, and a genius of such degree that has rarely been seen since. Williams' memorable thematic material does not necessarily make him one of the greatest composers, nor does it put him in league with Mozart. Williams is sorely lacking in innovation. He's not very original at all.

IndyAJA77

I really like when Williams uses previous leit motifs when characters reappear in another movie. What I was always disappointed with is that the London Symphony was only used for Raiders. With Crystal Skull, I didn't like that the end credits didn't end it quite the same way as the other three. Perhaps I'm too stuck on the formula used in the first three, but that was the first thought that crossed my mind as I sat in the theatre listening to them. Maybe that will change the more I listen to the soundtrack.

The soundtrack to Indy 4 was an Achilles Heel for the movie. John Williams and the Regurgita Symphony Orchestra. Decent film but the score was a cheat.

Layne

I think it went pretty well with the new "feel" of KOTCS. By itself though, it's not fantastic like the other Indy scores. I actually liked the reoccurring themes, but the new themes that were featured really didn't stand out when you saw the film, therefor, they are not memorable.

Jenos Idanian

Agent Spalko said:
There's no doubt in my mind that a good score can really make or break a film. I'll admit I probably would have liked the film better if it had been supported by a really good thematic score that would have elevated it above Ed Wood material. I listened to Close Encounters today and was reminded of what the once great Johnny Williams was capable of back in the day and it is the synthesis of score and visuals that enhance the full impact of the film and becomes an integral component of its characterizations. This score is about as flat as a two-month old open bottle of soda.

I agree with you Agent Spalko. But as I've stated on another thread I don't think it's Williams fault. I think he hit it on the head. Bland music for a bland film. He just wasn't inspired by anything he saw.

Jenos Idanian said:
I agree with you Agent Spalko. But as I've stated on another thread I don't think it's Williams fault. I think he hit it on the head. Bland music for a bland film. He just wasn't inspired by anything he saw.

I'll buy that.

crowmagnumman

Jenos Idanian said:

Ditto. I can forgive him this. Williams is still better than this.

FILMKRUSC

For me the score was as disappointing as the film.
I never, ever thought I would not buy a John Williams soundtrack - but I don't care if I ever hear this soundtrack again. He phoned it in alright - long distance.

IndyFan89

Tracks In Order

Can anyone put the Track list in order? And why is the escape from the whare house music missing, i thought it was the coolest part of the score and the movie but it isn't on the OST.

indytim

The score had its moments (such as at the beginning of the film when the content of the box is revealed ... very 50's sci-fi ... or at the shot of the mushroom cloud ... and 'The Departure') but I agree that it borrowed too much from the other films and lacked its own identity.

I never thought I'd ever say this about a John Williams score but I think the music actually hurt the film in a couple of places, especially during the jungle chase. The famous fanfare at the very start of the chase (just after Spalko shouts 'JONES!') seemed somewhat shoehorned in as it did when Indy is punching it out with the Russians in their jeep (just after the line 'Hi, Mac!'). Also, the music that accompanies the sword fight between Mutt and Spalko is far too jovial for my liking and immediately reminded me of 'Hook' when I first saw the movie! A more serious tone to the music during this fight would have given it needed tension and gravitas.

Then again, I'm not a multi Oscar-winning composer so what the hell do I know!?

Darth Vile

agentsands77 said:

As pieces of music one could listen to in isolation, ROTLA and TOD rely too much on the main themes and basic action cues segueing between the tracks. Last Crusade (IMHO) contains more light and shade, is more standalone (i.e. it does not need The Raiders March to hang off), and is musically a little more mature e.g. Scherzo For Motorcycle and Orchestra.

sarah navarro

crowmagnumman said:
Ditto. I can forgive him this. Williams is still better than this.

I think the score is good,i think its just as good as any of the others,the only songs that i really enjoy listening to are, Map room,Ark theme,and the Grail theme....well of course the Raiders march but anyways these to me are just as good as the Call of the Crystal skull and Irinas theme the rest just seem like movie music.If you listen to the other soundtracks all the way through theyre equal to this one,some peices are boring and bland in every one of the scores.I think its just another Indy score,great but not amazing.Im a big John Williams fan and ive listened to the new score at least 15 times through already personally think all the scores are nice but i definitly dont think this one is the weakest of the 4.