AICN Indy 5 MacGuffin essay contest

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Karen Allen quote and reactions...
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58432

And your chance to pitch Indy 5 for a chance to win one of 5 blu-ray sets. Here's your chance to say something other than nay, naysayers. Deadline tonight!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58382
What would be your MacGuffin of choice for INDY 5, and why would it work in the overall scope of films? I'll give you 250 words with which to operate in order to lay out your plan for the next chapter of Indiana Jones.

Olliana

What would be your MacGuffin of choice for INDY 5, and why would it work in the overall scope of films? I'll give you 250 words with which to operate in order to lay out your plan for the next chapter of Indiana Jones.

I don't get the second question :confused:

Moedred said:
And your chance to pitch Indy 5 for a chance to win one of 5 blu-ray sets. Here's your chance to say something other than nay, naysayers. Deadline tonight!
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58382

It?s time Indy dropped the validation of hokey, pop culture, revisionist histories regarding ancient aliens and got back to obtaining relics with some connection to the world?s major religions, (yes there are such things as sivalingas). What has implications to this day and still holds some allure or appreciable link to relics lost in the sands of time?

Indiana Jones and the Shards of the Black Stone

Indiana Jones, on a lecture tour of the Middle East, learns Junior has dropped out of school again, this time pursuing the temptation of Indy?s past: Fortune and Glory.

Sallah reluctantly introduces Indy to a sinister politician / underworld power player Abu Tahir, who resembles, (and might be) the devil himself.

Indy compromises his values, (aka: soul) dealing to save Mutt, and must smuggle Abu Tahir into the Dome of the Rock for the shards of The Black Stone, the Heaven sent pre-Islamic relic which reveals the location Adam and Eve built the first altar, and legend has it, in evil hands can trigger Armageddon.

A nice call back to Last Crusade might be the Templar?s Tunnel under the Temple Mount, where Mutt is found hiding in a tomb behind a skeleton which ?comes to life? as Mutt uncovers himself once he realizes his old man is there to rescue him.

A nice opportunity to bring back Sallah as more than a comedic foil and differentiate Musilms from extremists...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
It?s time Indy dropped the validation of hokey, pop culture, revisionist histories regarding ancient aliens and got back to obtaining relics with some connection to the world?s major religions, (yes there are such things as sivalingas). What has implications to this day and still holds some allure or appreciable link to relics lost in the sands of time?

You can't get anything much more hokey than the world's major religions. :rolleyes:

Dr. Gonzo

I did this a couple days ago and I'm happy that some of us scum bags decided to crawl out of the local sewer and participate, hell since we're supposed to be the authorities on this subject there should be a more than likely chance that many of the top slots could be patrons of the Raven... right?

Anyway, I'll reveal my pitch after I win the Blu-rays, the hat and the whip. ;)

Dr. Gonzo

Olliana said:
I don't get the second question :confused:
That's the real trick isn't it.

Some folks think you can just lump in whatever artifact plug it into to a pre existing script and call it a day. i've never been one of those people. And to me that's just not the case.

I've heard people complain, "well George just pick a damned object already", but I think it's actually one of the most important aspects of these films. The object is usually tied to whatever the film makers are trying to get across thematically in that particular story.

Sankara stones = fortune and glory (it demonstrates why Indiana Jones is not a selfish grave robber but a decent man)

Grail = rejuvenation (between a father and sons relationship)

Crystal Skull = reconnecting (the skull with the body -- Indy with his family)

(the ark more or less is a different story but I can get into that in another post)

The real trick is finding an object that presents a theme in the film you propose but can also create a cohesive whole with the other films. That's what he's asking for. It has to be in line with the others... (crystal skull makes this a little more difficult)

Last edited:

Olliana

@ Henry Jones VII

Oh crap, same here :(

I know exactly in which direction I would take Indy V. In fact, I think I have a neat idea for the climax that would be very different from the previous climaxes. The theme would be "ultimately letting go".

Looking forward to the results though! Good luck, everybody :)

Henry Jones VII

Olliana said:
@ Henry Jones VII

Oh crap, same here :(

I know exactly in which direction I would take Indy V. In fact, I think I have a neat idea for the climax that would be very different from the previous climaxes. The theme would be "ultimately letting go".

Looking forward to the results though! Good luck, everybody :)

care to show us your idea, Olliana? ;)

Finn

Staff member
Henry Jones VII said:
INDIANA JONES and the QUEST for MJÖLLNIR
It's "Mjölnir", or if you have a keyboard that doesn't type umlauts by default, "Mjollnir".

Use that said form, two L's plus the O with umlauts, and it means... well, maybe I best leave it unsaid in this relatively family-friendly environment.

It would make an Indiana Jones adventure like one never seen, though.

Henry Jones VII

Finn said:
It's "Mjölnir", or if you have a keyboard that doesn't type umlauts by default, "Mjollnir".

Use that said form, two L's plus the O with umlauts, and it means... well, maybe I best leave it unsaid in this relatively family-friendly environment.

It would make an Indiana Jones adventure like one never seen, though.
yes, thank you

Rivers

Anyone else having problems opening the AICN artical?? I have tried on 3 different computers and each time it wont load and freezes the computer??