Prague, August 1917

Adamwankenobi

I can only imagine showing it to a first-time YIJC viewer/IJ film fan or YIJC hater. :eek:

I've always seen the episode as a parody of Jones' almost cartoonish determination in situations such as the truck chase in ROTLA. When you watch him get out of such situations, you often don't think of how ridiculous the situation is.

Last edited:

Flannery10

Ouch, that would really mess up some people before they have seen great episodes. The first episode I saw was, thank god, Phantom Train of Doom and then Treasure of the Peacock's Eye and I was impressed enough to watch other episodes, without the action aproach, and was quiet impressed. Besides Prague I quiet disliked Paris 1916, but that's not what the thread is about.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Is Prague 1917 now the second half of "Adventures in the Secret Service"? Otherwise I seen it.

Flannery10

Violet Indy said:
Is Prague 1917 now the second half of "Adventures in the Secret Service"? Otherwise I seen it.

No, that's Petrograd, a difficult but rather thrilling episode. Prague is now the second half of Espionage Escapades.

Matinee Idyll

Flannery10 said:
Besides Prague I quiet disliked Paris 1916, but that's not what the thread is about.

The only thing I dislike about that episode was the fact the actress looked nothing like Mata Hari. Really, nothing.

It was odd though, I taped it when I was 11 or 12 - and it was the only Young Indy episode I refused to show my parents, I was so scared/embarrased by the sex scenes! ;)

Adamwankenobi

Matinee Idyll said:
The only thing I dislike about that episode was the fact the actress looked nothing like Mata Hari. Really, nothing.

It was odd though, I taped it when I was 11 or 12 - and it was the only Young Indy episode I refused to show my parents, I was so scared/embarrased by the sex scenes! ;)

Lately I've been watching the series with my 13-year old cousin. Needless to say, the Mata Hari episode is his favorite. ;)

metalinvader

Adamwankenobi said:
Lately I've been watching the series with my 13-year old cousin. Needless to say, the Mata Hari episode is his favorite. ;)

That's awesome that you are showing the show to a younger audience!So,Besides the obvious reason why he likes the Mata Hari episode :)p ) Does he like the rest of the series?

I dunno, Prague 1917 is like one of my favourite episodes, just my sense of humour I suppose, that and I love Franz Kafka, and I've had a day just like that. Eerily like that actually.... man.. yeah. nightmare

Flannery10

Jeremiah Jones said:
I dunno, Prague 1917 is like one of my favourite episodes, just my sense of humour I suppose, that and I love Franz Kafka, and I've had a day just like that. Eerily like that actually.... man.. yeah. nightmare

Oh, yeah it is very funny, no doubt, but in my opinion even for an Indiana Jones adventure a little to silly and farfetched.

Adamwankenobi

metalinvader said:
That's awesome that you are showing the show to a younger audience!So,Besides the obvious reason why he likes the Mata Hari episode :)p ) Does he like the rest of the series?

Yeah, he likes it. I mean, he doesn't love it like I do, but he gets the concept and enjoys seeing what trouble in history Indy'll get himself into next.

Flannery10 said:
Oh, yeah it is very funny, no doubt, but in my opinion even for an Indiana Jones adventure a little to silly and farfetched.

That's how I feel about it as well. I love YIJC and I like Radioland Murders, but not mixed together. :p

IndySeven

That episode was so funny! The way that Indy was hanging onto the street pole was sooo funny! This is one of my top 3 favorite YIJC episodes!(y)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Matinee Idyll said:

So in a way it was Young Indy who gave you "that talk"... Well, Lucas did want this TV series to be educational...:p

Junior Jones

When I first saw it, I hated the Prague episode. I had no idea who Franz Kafka was, other than having heard his name. But after doing some historical research (as I always did after a new episode) I grew to appreciate the episode a lot more. It's really as if Kafka is telling Indy's story this time.

competely agree with Junior Jones here, thats what I thought... also not that far fetched, once I was trying to get something printed out for college, 70 pages, took 2 days of running around trying to get it printed, but everywhere I went something went wrong, computers stopped working, they wouldn't load the file, ran out of ink, at one point I even sat across from a board of directors in a printing warehouse, trying to argue my print, which they agreed with, marched across this huge factory floor, only in their design shop, the program didnt' run there either. Yes. Incandescent with rage. But in a funny way....

OhioJones

Adamwankenobi said:

I've never seen the series. Got volume one for Christmas and getting volume two for my birthday coming up. Something I should know about? ;)

Indy Smith

I remember this story if I recall correctly mainly from him trying to run about and get a phone working. Some of the stories if I can recall were played down to a more younger audience as if it was preaching to kids. Certainly I found the episodes that seemed to be comical episodes were not too funny because it felt like they were being "played up".

There's an old tale that when a man is trying to change a tyre and he is having a bad time doing it that to him the situation isn't funny. Hwever to those watching from a distance it might be funny. However if he realises he's being watched and thinks he can make people laugh he starts playing it up as a gag it then becomes not funny. Comedy is certainly a difficult thing to execute. If you have to play it up don't, beause on second viewings it will feel too played up. Wheras if it's not played up on a second viewing it will be deemed as a serious event.

I think I blabbered a lot there...I wonder if it made sense?