director john hughes is dead

indyclone25

the diretor of many of the hit movies of the eighties has passed ----he was 59 , so sad to see such a talented man leave before his time
A spokeswoman for John Hughes says the director of 1980s coming-of-age films like "Sixteen Candles" and "The Breakfast Club" has died in Manhattan.

Michelle Bega says the 59-year-old Hughes died of a heart attack during a morning walk. He was in Manhattan to visit family.

He made a teen star of Molly Ringwald with 1984's "Sixteen Candles" about a girl's nightmarish birthday on the eve of her sister's wedding.

Ringwald also starred in "The Breakfast Club," about a group of high school misfits during Saturday detention, and "Pretty in Pink."

Hughes also directed "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and wrote "Home Alone." He lived in Illinois and set many of his films in the Chicago area.

Stoo

Holy Sh*t!:( Of all the teen movies of the '80s, his were in a class of their own. He nailed it more than any of the others.. R.I.P John Hughes.:(

Forbidden Eye

Oops. Made this thread in the films section. Sorry.

Still sad day indeed. Ferris Bueller is a personal favorite.

Goonie

One of his best creations was the Griswold family in National Lampoon's Vacation. RIP John.

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
For a certain generation of people the playing of "Don't You (Forget About Me)" by Simple Minds will signify the raising of a fist.

So, the next time I hear it, wherever I am, that one is for John.

Hey, hey, hey ,hey
Ohhh...

Last edited:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
It's sad to hear about a great director passing on. John Hughes is actually one of my favourite writer/directors. I absolutely love Ferris Bueller and Uncle Buck. Every Christmas, as far as I can remember, the family and I have always watched Home Alone 1 and 2. And the family and I have always been very big fans of the Griswolds. Another film franchise we watch a lot together.

Thank you very much, John Hughes for making really great films with the best lines!!!

National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Uncle Buck (1989)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
Home Alone (1990)
Dutch (1991)
Drillbit Taylor (2008; story) (as Edmond Dantes((The Count of Monte Cristo!))

My favorites.

These ones I can still sit through in my old age.

I wonder how his Jaws 3 People 0 movie would have been.

The Drifter

Rocket Surgeon said:
National Lampoon's Vacation (1983)
Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
Uncle Buck (1989)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
Home Alone (1990)

These are my favorites. RIP John Hughes.

Grizzlor

Anybody remember Nate and Hayes? He wrote that script. It was another one of those early 80's adventure flicks looking to cash in on the Indy momentum. I loved the movie though.