Nuked Fridges

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
Bringing up the rear eh? Fitting since you're replying to a month old post.

Besides it being "pedestalled" what "major" execution problems did The Dark Knight have?

I was going to post earlier that jeshopk appeared to be backing the wrong (sea)horse.

jeshopk

Sharkey said:
Bringing up the rear eh? Fitting since you're replying to a month old post.

Besides it being "pedestalled" what "major" execution problems did The Dark Knight have?

For my money, the kind of action cinematography in Dark Knight is dime a dozen, while the kind of artfully crafted action directing in Spielberg films is the kind you only get once in a while. We've come to expect it with Spielberg, so it's a given. It ages well, while Nolan's action ages pretty quickly and isn't too much better than fisticuffs from a skirmish in a CSI episode. Acting and characterization is also more potent in Skull. CG might be more obvious and shoddy, but that's not a major problem, like acting or direction. As for the script, I like KOTCS's better, even though I really think Spielberg could do better than Koepp. But again, that's not technical so much as preference. The other thing about Dark Knight, the filmmakers are just exploiting someone else's characters and stories. Nothing here is created except the way it is done. Batman, the Joker, Two face, it's all been done before. Skull gave the world a new iconic villain, an unusual quest/MacGuffin, a new greaser action character, and a never before seen story. Maybe it's all just too unfamiliar to people in this world of retreads. I remember in the 80's we were ready for new stories and sequels, not reboots that are like alternate versions of established stories.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

jeshopk said:
For my money, the kind of action cinematography in Dark Knight is dime a dozen, while the kind of artfully crafted action directing in Spielberg films is the kind you only get once in a while. We've come to expect it with Spielberg, so it's a given. It ages well, while Nolan's action ages pretty quickly and isn't too much better than fisticuffs from a skirmish in a CSI episode. Acting and characterization is also more potent in Skull. CG might be more obvious and shoddy, but that's not a major problem, like acting or direction. As for the script, I like KOTCS's better, even though I really think Spielberg could do better than Koepp. But again, that's not technical so much as preference. The other thing about Dark Knight, the filmmakers are just exploiting someone else's characters and stories. Nothing here is created except the way it is done. Batman, the Joker, Two face, it's all been done before. Skull gave the world a new iconic villain, an unusual quest/MacGuffin, a new greaser action character, and a never before seen story. Maybe it's all just too unfamiliar to people in this world of retreads. I remember in the 80's we were ready for new stories and sequels, not reboots that are like alternate versions of established stories.

I broadly agree with what you state. Whilst I quite like The Dark Knight as a Batman movie (I much prefer Batman Begins though), I agree that much of the action scenes in TDK are perfunctory at best. This in itself is not a big thing, as Nolan's Batman movies are much more about characterisation/plotting than they are about action per se. Saying that, for me anyhow, The Dark Knight is Nolan's least successful recent movie because... 1) It's 30/45 mins too long and drags in many places. 2) Having half the movie focus on the Joker and the other half on Harvey Two Face only helps convolute the plotting/pacing. Harvey Dent should have been in the movie... however, Two Face should have been saved for the next one (IMHO). That would have made the story/pacing a lot tighter.

Sharkey

jeshopk said:
As for the script, I like KOTCS's better

That's a joke. Batman started as a comic but The Dark Knight took the story and characters to a new place, one more serious than Indiana Jones.

Indy regresses, Batman progresses.

jeshopk said:
The other thing about Dark Knight, the filmmakers are just exploiting someone else's characters and stories. Nothing here is created except the way it is done. Batman, the Joker, Two face, it's all been done before.
I'll let someone else explain what a retread Skull is. That Young Frankenstein thread is pretty funny.

jeshopk said:
Skull gave the world a new iconic villain, an unusual quest/MacGuffin, a new greaser action character, and a never before seen story.
Spackle is NOT iconic. No one talks about her in pop culture, there are no tributes to her. The Raiders Nazi's are iconic, and that's how they are remembered. The only ones talking about Spalko are you five here at the Raven. She's done. Gone. Dust. Forgotten. Not Iconic.

Montana Smith

Sharkey said:
That's a joke. Batman started as a comic but The Dark Knight took the story and characters to a new place, one more serious than Indiana Jones.

Indy regresses, Batman progresses.

Salt water clears the head. The Shark speaks facts. But too much brine can blur the vision. Indy's okay, it was his companions and his creator's who regressed. ;)

Sharkey said:
Spackle is NOT iconic. No one talks about her in pop culture, there are no tributes to her. The Raiders Nazi's are iconic, and that's how they are remembered. The only ones talking about Spalko are you five here at the Raven. She's done. Gone. Dust. Forgotten. Not Iconic.

Gone but not quite forgotten.

She was a bad girl, though she ought to have been even naughtier. Still, she's tough enough to take her punishment.

Spalko, NSFW. Inspect further at your own discretion.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Wow...this Kid must have seen IJKotCS

Boy hides in a dryer

LENOX, Iowa ? Austin Miller was home watching ?PBS Kids'' when the panicked phone call came from his mother.

Get in the laundry room, now, she said. There are tornadoes coming.

The 11-year-old rode out the storm Wednesday afternoon inside the clothes dryer as the twister demolished the second floor above him, the roof collapsed and debris swirled about.

?If he wouldn't have been in that laundry room, it would have come right down on him,? said the boy's mother, Jessica Miller, less than 24 hours after a tornado wrecked their home. ?I'm proud of him for doing that.''

ya'know what made me forget about questioning the logic of "nuking the fridge?" Seeing Wolverine Origins a year later and wondering how scientists knew that an adamantium bullet to an already adamantium skull would induce amnesia.

kongisking

featofstrength said:
ya'know what made me forget about questioning the logic of "nuking the fridge?" Seeing Wolverine Origins a year later and wondering how scientists knew that an adamantium bullet to an already adamantium skull would induce amnesia.

Ha. I agree that that was (pardon the potential pun) boneheaded. :rolleyes:

Oi.

You won't have George Lucas to kick around anymore

Lucas even dismisses Steven Spielberg’s recent claim that the “nuke the fridge” sequence in Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull was Spielberg’s idea, saying, “He’s trying to protect me” (that being the sole instance when it appeared Spielberg actually was trying to protect him). In fact, Lucas said he had to go out of his way to convince Spielberg to put it in there by preparing a six-inches-thick “nuking-the-fridge dossier”—one that laid out the 50-50 statistical odds that a human could survive an atom bomb in a lead-lined fridge, and thus scientifically proved that it wasn’t a completely ridiculous, cartoonishly undignified way to start an Indiana Jones movie, because science.

seasider

I wouldn't mind taking a look at that dossier. One thing about Lucas is we may not all agree on how he makes his movies but he definitely does his homework on these things.