Which Whip Wins?

ROB98374

I am looking for a whip for $200 or less. It will ONLY be used as a prop. I won't ever use it as a whip. Just for my halloween costume.
I want it to look as real as possible.
Should I get the Noble Collection whip for $200 or Todd's Whip for $125?
Which looks more like the movie whip?
Is there any other whips under $200 that I should look at?
Anyone here have the Noble whip?

indyclone25

i have heard the new todds whip is very nice and looks very screen accurate , and they say with a little whip oil you can have that whip cracking real good after a few treatments , thats what was said on the club obi wan boards (y)

indyclone25

ROB98374 said:
It seems that the Todd's Whip got pretty positive reviews. Plus it is cheaper. I like that the Noble whip is licensed, but I can't seem to find any reviews on it.

i heard that the noble whip could nt crack and was made more just for show , so if you want to save the bucks i would say get the todds whip it will be cheaper and more usable if you want that way?

ROB98374

indyclone25 said:
i heard that the noble whip could nt crack and was made more just for show , so if you want to save the bucks i would say get the todds whip it will be cheaper and more usable if you want that way?

I just want to buy the one that looks the most accurate, but don't want to pay more than $200.
I will NEVER try to crack it at all, so that doesn't matter. I just want a pure PROP whip.

indyclone25

ROB98374 said:
I just want to buy the one that looks the most accurate, but don't want to pay more than $200.
I will NEVER try to crack it at all, so that doesn't matter. I just want a pure PROP whip.
well if you saw the pics on club obi wan you should be happy with todds looks good and very screen accurate (y)

ROB98374

indyclone25 said:
well if you saw the pics on club obi wan you should be happy with todds looks good and very screen accurate (y)

It does look very good, but a little light in color. I noticed alot of people were darking it up a bit. The Noble whip looks darker in the stock pictures, but I have yet to see a "real" picture of a Noble whip.

I may just go ahead and order Todds.

Chewbacca Jones

Like more usable whips, Todd's will probably darken over time. Air and handling causes that, and treating it with certain products, like Pecards, will quicken the process.

Now, Todd's is nice, and very well suited to your intentions. Plus, Todd is one of the best gear vendors out there in terms of service. However, have you considered a nylon whip? They are much lighter (good for wearing on your belt for a long time), cost less, and some look very accurate. If that's a route you want to go, I can find a couple of nylon whipmakers.

ROB98374

Chewbacca Jones said:
However, have you considered a nylon whip? They are much lighter (good for wearing on your belt for a long time), cost less, and some look very accurate. If that's a route you want to go, I can find a couple of nylon whipmakers.

I'd rather have a leather whip. Don't really care about the cost, I just picked $200 since it seems you can get a screen accurate version for around that price. No need to spend $900 on a David Morgan whip if these "look" just like it.
Thanks for the idea though. That might work for a rainy halloween night.

Mr. Fusion

In my honest opinion, from the production pictures of the Nobel Collection whip it looks like crap. Not accurate at all. Most of the times the officially licensed props are terrible (accuracy-wise). Just look at the DP fedoras.

I would recommend this whip-maker in England: Midland Whips

He's relatively new at making them, but the whips are great and Graeme is really nice. If you'd rather stick to a longer "in business" vendor, go with Todd's whip. Just my 2 cents.:)

Mickiana

Midland whips actually look pretty good, but I'm not spending anymore on Indy gear. My David Morgan will do me.

ROB98374

Update to my older post...

I ended up buying both the Todd's and the Noble Collection whips.

Here is a short re-cap.

Todds came in a plastic bag. Nobles came in a nice box.
Todds was just the whip. Nobles included a nice whip holder.
Todds is actually 10ft long. Nobles is not.
Todds wrist loop is too small. Nobles is just right.
Todds is too light. Nobles is darker.
Todds has too big of a head. Nobles is better sized.
Todds feels like a quality whip. Nobles feels kinda cheap.

Overall I like the Todds Whip better. I just wish the whip holder was sold separately...
DSCF3305.jpg

indyclone25

well with the todds 10ft you do have a darker color than on the todds 8ft. but again the 10ft todds is for show and not for cracking , someone on the c.o.w forums bought the 10ft whip from toods and started cracking it and the head broke , luckily todds took it back and gave him a 8 fter, but i hope you like both whips the noble does look nice , but it definelity is made to showcase .:whip:

ROB98374

Looking at the whip again today, I am thinking a little differently.

If I would have only bought the Noble whip, I would have been happy with it.
It looks good, I like the color and comes with a nice whip holder.

The main thing I didn't like about it was how light it feels. The Todds whip is solid and heavy. But thinking about it, I only want a prop whip anyway, and the Todds whip is pretty heavy when you have it on your belt. I guess the Noble whip might be better because it is less weight to carry around.

indyclone25

i have heard the morgan is the best. but when you are a bit stapped for cash , i did enjoy having the todds eight footer .:D
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrC_o8eS7QY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrC_o8eS7QY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

penman hats

I would suggest looking into some of the fine whip makers that make great repros. of the Morgan if that price tag is to much. Better that than getting a costume whip.

Goodeknight

Rob, if you catch this, I'm wondering why you went ahead and bought both. Did you spend 200 on Noble's and 125 on Todd's? You mentioned having a 200 dollar cap.

If you paid full price for both, 325 would have gotten you a pretty decent, usable whip. Not a Morgan or anything, but a gooder. I got my 10 foot Joe Strain for $425.

Just curious.

One other observation: You mentioned you were never going to crack your costume whip. I'm betting you cracked them within a day or two after they arrived. Am I right???

ROB98374

goodeknight said:
Rob, if you catch this, I'm wondering why you went ahead and bought both. Did you spend 200 on Noble's and 125 on Todd's? You mentioned having a 200 dollar cap.

If you paid full price for both, 325 would have gotten you a pretty decent, usable whip. Not a Morgan or anything, but a gooder. I got my 10 foot Joe Strain for $425.

Just curious.

One other observation: You mentioned you were never going to crack your costume whip. I'm betting you cracked them within a day or two after they arrived. Am I right???

I wasn't planning on buying them both, it just sort of happened. :D
The $200 price was just a guideline anyway. Didn't really want to spend more if I could get the look I wanted. I just ordered 1 each of the two new US Wings jackets, because I couldn't decide which to get.

I must admit, I DID try to crack the 10ft Todds whip once or twice when I first opened the box, but that thing was too long! I gave it a couple half-hearted cracks, but was too nervous about damaging it ... or myself. I haven't even tried cracking the Noble whip, although since it is shorter, it may be easier.
I really just wanted a movie accurate whip for a costume for Halloween. That is the only day I could actually wear any Indiana Jones stuff, otherwise my wife would think (discover?) that I am crazy.:whip: