Temple of Doom posters on Indianajonesshop

Indianajonesshop has now offered both Temple of Doom style A and B one sheets and they claim that these are original rolled one sheets, not reprints, that have been stored in the Lucasfilm archives for 25 years. There's just one caveat that I find dubious about their claims; they state that the one sheets are 27x40." Authentic movie posters printed by the NSS prior to 1985 were 27x41" and I have an original style B framed that is 27x41". That one inch extra is considered oversized when you go to frame them so original movie posters have to be custom framed which is a lot more expensive. The reprints and bootlegs I believe were scaled down to 40" or they were cropped. Either way, I am a bit suspicious that those posters on IJS are indeed original printings and the only authentication is their statement on their product description to validate it. Now, I'd be more likely to buy one directly from them as opposed to some unscrupulous sellers on ebay claiming to sell original one-sheets that size but I am still a bit hesitant to pull the trigger :gun:

snake_surprise

Well, Indy posters are my forte I guess. I could type out a long post here, but I will save time and refer you to this excellent thread on the most excellent Movie Poster Forum:

http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php?showtopic=5246

Or specifically, this detailed post with pics in this thread:

http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=5246&view=findpost&p=526034

(By the way, style A has several variants and measure in both 41 and 40 inches long. Style B is only 40 inches long. It was printed around the time the NSS was dissolved and studios, namely Paramount, took over printing duties.)

The Lucasfilm posters are authentic.

Great info, thanks for posting it. (y) However, seems there is still much debate to the authenticity and all signs seem to point to the early 90's "restrike" of these posters. The NSS prints that were 27x41" seem to have a one-inch white boarder on the style A. I have a style A that is 27x41" with no white boarder at all with NSS printing in white at the bottom just underneath the bronze credits. The Style A from Indyshop is cropped just above where the white NSS info should be which could also be the studio printing but I'm suspecting that the style A's coming from Indyshop are probably indeed early 90's restrikes as was the general consensus by the experts in that thread.

Also, any idea where to find the Australian style B "Jungle" poster by Mike Vaughn? It's pretty rare as I have only seen one on ebay once (the one-sheet NOT the daybill) and it was folded and U.S. customs put a big honking stamp on the poster when they inspected it. Nice. :eek:
p2_2_bg.jpg

snake_surprise

I am one of the 'experts' in that thread.

The restrike has the white NSS info, is 41 inches long, and has a slightly red dropshadow. Here is that post in the same thread:

http://www.movieposterforum.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=5246&view=findpost&p=525929

Hope this info helps. You are on the right track with most of this stuff. But as I said, the Lucasfilm ones are legit. The style A's are the last printing/first studio printing, but are from 1984, thus are original. I would check yours again...post a pic if you get a chance. Are you sure it is not a restrike? Again, style B is always 40 inches long. You may want to measure yours again to see.

As for that ToD Australian poster...yes it is much rarer than the daybill. (There are three different daybills). In addition to ebay, check Heritage Auctions as well as Bruce's auctions on emovieposter.com from time to time. They will pop up here and again. Expect to pay over $200 for a good rolled one.

Just checked my Style A again and the two D's in the Dolby logo pretty much bleed into each other so I'm inclined to agree with you that it must be an anomalous NSS restrike. I purchased the poster back in the early 90's from Hollywood Poster and paid $40 for it. It must be a rare printing though since just about all of the restrikes and repros I've seen, including the Zigzag ones, have been 27x40." Hopefully the inks and lettering on the IJS one will be sharper and not have the letter bleeding on the Dolby logo.

I wonder if they will offer the Advance. It's had quite a history with the early Style A and B white boarder ones being recalled and the latter style C with the checkerboard pattern boarder which is difficult to repro and all of the reprints I have seen have the solid black boarders (no pattern).

Now if IJS would only find a secret cache of that Australian style B. Why this one has never been reprinted I don't understand. You'd think there would be a demand with that unique style artwork.

snake_surprise

Well that does not necessarily mean you have a restrike. If you have that red dropshadow in the credit text (like that pic in the thread) then it probably is. The Dolby symbol is really close in both of mine, and they are legit (one from Lucasfilm, and both are 40 inches long).

Also, let me know what you find if you get a chance to measure your style B.

If you can post or send a pic of your style A, I can probably tell you more.

I think there are four Advance styles for ToD. One has a leaf border of sorts.

I agree, I wish that Australian one was easier to get. But that is just it, Lucasfilm would not make money selling an Australian poster...you, myself, and a few others appreciate it, but most people would not buy it because it is foreign.

Just checked, and I must correct myself, my style B is indeed 27x40. My style A is 27x41 and I had it custom framed and mounted because I was certain it was an original at the time. Now I'm not so sure. :confused:

Most of the posters I collect are Advance and Foreign because, in general, I find them to be much more exotic looking than the domestic one-sheets and overall scarcer and they make great conversation pieces.

snake_surprise

Well you at least have an original style B then. The biggest telling factor of these is the color of white on the poster---front should be an egg white, compared to the back of the poster which is a milky white.

Don't lose all hope on your style A yet...if you do not have the red dropshadow then you may be ok...

Kudos to having great taste in posters!

Crack that whip

After vacillating on April 1st about getting both posters I wound up ordering just the B, and just one of those, on the grounds that I already had a great-looking A that I was sure was a reprint but that's certainly good enough for display purposes, and because I'm trying to be responsible with money. Yeah, good luck to me with that... :p Anyway, I found myself kicking myself afterwards, having decided no, I really definitely did want an original after all (and I really should've gotten an extra B as well, just for good measure - that is, trading stock). But oh well, I thought, I've got an original B now (which most people don't have) and a darn nice A, even if it's a reprint (this is one I got as part of a set from Paramount around '90).

Just a couple days ago, though, a few weeks after having quickly sold out of all the As on the store's first day and then all the Bs a week or two after that, they had the As listed again, with the same price and description as before. I wasn't going to miss this again, and ordered. Yahoo! I can't wait...