Custom PLAYSETS & DIORAMAS with your INDY TOYS!!

Lance Quazar

inky_skin said:
Guys. I'm hoping to use you all for a little market research. You may remember a while back I posted a scratch-built mine cart for 1:18th scale figures...

I'm now considering producing a limited number as resin kits (some assembly required kids !). What do you think the level of interest would be, and what sort of price range would people be receptive to ? All being well, I may extend the idea to Ark Ghost conversion kits as well...

Please drop me some PM's :)

PM sent! I'd definitely be interested in 1-2 mine carts!!

inky_skin

Guys - thanks for all your PM's. So - here's the deal: I'm going to start tooling for a mine cart kit shortly. It'll probably take me about a month to break something down to a point where I can cast, say, 5-10 parts in dark grey resin. What I'm hoping to end up with is a package that'll require minimal assembly and painting for around the $20 dollar (plus shipping) mark by Christmas. I'll then start taking orders. Thanks for your interest, and I'll keep you all posted !

inky_skin

To those of you who've asked about whether I'll sell custom action figures - the cost is too prohibitive at the moment. "Bricks and mortar" stores here in the UK are still pushing them at around the £7 mark - which means something like Jungle Belloq costs £28 for parts alone (RPG Indy, Dovchenko, Mutt, Belloq).

With regard to the Ark Ghost, I can do the electronics for less than $5. The ghost is a bit of an issue - I can't really sell copies of the one I have as it's based off a Hasbro figure and I don't want a "C&D" from them. However, I may sculpt something a little more "dynamic" that just happens to be compatible with a certain gold box - that way I can do the whole thing for around the $15 mark without any rights issues.

The rope bridge diorama is also a bit tricky to mass-produce due to each slat in the bridge being hand-tied. However, I may consider a "Temple Altar" if things go well with the mine cart.

The tricky thing is to create something generic that is compatible with the line without encroaching on the copyright. Mine Carts are ok - but I can't do anything that directly lifts a Lucasfilm / Hasbro design.

inky_skin

Lance Quazar said:
^By the way, I think you owe us a few new customs over at RS! :)

Customs you say ? Hmmm...well let's just say I have something very special planned for Halloween. Do you like your villians...melty ?

Kooshmeister

Anybody considered making the Tabernacle (i.e., the stone altar place where the Ark is opened; that's what the script calls it anyway)? With the talk of making Ark ghosts it'd be a neat little diorama for the end of the film.

ChromiumBlue37

Kooshmeister said:
Anybody considered making the Tabernacle (i.e., the stone altar place where the Ark is opened; that's what the script calls it anyway)? With the talk of making Ark ghosts it'd be a neat little diorama for the end of the film.

I did!! Here is mine. I used the Tatooine base from the 1997 R2-D2 FX figure from Kenner. Both scenes were shot in tunisia, so it it is virtually perfect.

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/...Jones/?action=view&current=ArkCeremony002.jpg

ChromiumBlue37

Thank you Kevin! The Ramses figures and the wall are from a Lego-like playset I bought at Kmart a couple of years ago, The wall is actually hollow soft plastic, as are the statues. The Map Room base is an original Kenner. I was able to find a nifty miniature set of pyramids and a Sphinx that are the same size as Map Room base that make it look more vast.

The crate are from Burger King. They are the Indiana Jones & TKOTCS premium called "Tricky Treasure". There is a giant fire ant inside, when you slide the crate top open. I bought about 40 of them!

sebillba

inky_skin said:
To those of you who've asked about whether I'll sell custom action figures - the cost is too prohibitive at the moment. "Bricks and mortar" stores here in the UK are still pushing them at around the £7 mark - which means something like Jungle Belloq costs £28 for parts alone (RPG Indy, Dovchenko, Mutt, Belloq).

Inky, if you're looking for slightly cheaper figures at retail, Woolworths now have them at £5.24 each. Plus they have the battle packs as exclusives - £17.49 for 5 figures, so around £3.50 each. (y)

inky_skin

The Golden Idol said:
He's working on 'er. :)

Indeed I am. It's weird, she's almost done - hat and clutch purse notwithstanding - but since I started Toht I have no enthusiasm for her :(

Anyway - Marion (accessories to complete), Toht (awaiting vintage trenchcoat), Katanga (assembly and paint apps) and Sophia Hapgood (paint apps) are all almost done. Expect them end October / early Nov. Then I'm taking a short break from Indy to do some commissions and a couple of Rocketeer / Sky Captain custom figures (plus the tooling for the mine cart kits).

sebillba said:
Inky, if you're looking for slightly cheaper figures at retail, Woolworths now have them at £5.24 each. Plus they have the battle packs as exclusives - £17.49 for 5 figures, so around £3.50 each. (y)

sebillba - thanks for the heads-up mate. Those Battle Packs are a real nice deal for we customisers...

ChromiumBlue37

OOhh man! I love the Rocketeer and Sky Captain!

These characters all fit into the same era with a sci-fi twist tied into real, historic events.

inky_skin

Yeah, I always wondered if there is some mythical bar someplace where Marlowe, Jones, O'Connell, Sky Captain, Cutter and Secord hang out and swap stories ;)

For those of you who are interested, Sophia is now up on the Custom Figures thread...