Has the CITY OF THE GODS title been confirmed? [spoilers]

romantico

INDIANA JONES AND THE CITY OF THE GODS, has this titled been confirmed by Lucas or Spielberg? I keep hearing this as the title but have not seen it offcially declared as the ACTUAL title of Indiana Jones 4. Just curious!

Echo22

No confirmation yet.

In fact, I believe someone at one point did get verification that it is not the title. But, I keep hearing it as well. I think the rumor was spreading and a few of the more reliable news sources started using it for lack of anything better. Though, we may never know. If it's true, Lucas could always change it last minute. "Attack of the Clones" was thought up after the filming had ended.

Interesting, though - I wonder at what point (during or after filming) Lucas or Spielberg came up with "Temple of Doom" or "Last Crusade" - the latter being one of the more brilliant titles either of the two have come up with.

Gobi-1

The working title for The Phantom Menace was "The Beginning" and the working title for Attack of the Clones was "Jar Jar's Big Adventure." I kid you not, Lucas put it on the script. :D

Indy 4 may have a working title, which may be City of the Gods, but it's anyone's guess.

misnomer

Indiana Jones And The City Of Gods was the title of Frank Darabonts draft, which was rejected. However, it seems that the title has stuck, and that later drafts by nathanson and koepp still centred around the same ideas.....it looks like that will probably be the title. If not, it may have something to do with the crystal skulls.....personally, I hope the title sticks.

Zorg

City of Gods would be a great title, but at this point I really doubt they'd use it.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
misnomer said:
Indiana Jones And The City Of Gods was the title of Frank Darabonts draft, which was rejected. However, it seems that the title has stuck, and that later drafts by nathanson and koepp still centred around the same ideas.....it looks like that will probably be the title. If not, it may have something to do with the crystal skulls.....personally, I hope the title sticks.
I'm hearing that only small portions of Frank's script survived. The only reason why the title has been floated about is that someone else saw the Darabont Draft and ran with the title. My question is who(m) are your sources?

From what you've heard Aaron, has the artifact/central idea of Darabont's draft remained, or just some favourite sequences? Have fundamental ideas like how Indy will have aged, activities in the meantime, state of mind/body/spirit, even the time setting of the story been ditched or are these basic elements constant throughout?

From what you say, I believe the only the former is what you are indicating, but could you confirm?

I'd like to reiterate also that I find it thoroughly depressing that we won't get the Darabont characterization and depth that he would undoubtedyly have brought to the script - much more than the others could.

arkfinder

If Lucas has his way then we should know something more solid around Thanksgiving.

Anyone know of any Big movies coming out for the Holidays? It's a safe bet there will be an Indy Teaser trailer in front of them.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
StwongBwidge said:
From what you've heard Aaron, has the artifact/central idea of Darabont's draft remained, or just some favourite sequences? Have fundamental ideas like how Indy will have aged, activities in the meantime, state of mind/body/spirit, even the time setting of the story been ditched or are these basic elements constant throughout?

From what you say, I believe the only the former is what you are indicating, but could you confirm?

I'd like to reiterate also that I find it thoroughly depressing that we won't get the Darabont characterization and depth that he would undoubtedyly have brought to the script - much more than the others could.
Wihout a doubt, it fills me with saddness that Darabont's script will never see the light of the screen, but from what I've been told some bits have made it into the new script. What that entails? Well for that we need spoiler tags

1. Indy has offspring...in Darabont's script it was a daughter, in the new one it is a son.
2. The artifact remains mostly...it too underwent some changes, but for the most part it remains intact
3. There was never much "filler" telling us what happened between LC & IV. I assume whatever was in Frank's script has not carried over.
4. The time setting hasn't changed for about four scripts actually. Lucas always expected to do a non-30's Indiana Jones movie.

Not ground breaking I know, but this new script is hard to get a hold of. I hope that as filming progresses I'll be able to get it in more detail...remember most of the actors haven't seen the whole script (aside from Ford), so it'll be even harder to get tid bits.

oki9Sedo

Nobody who matters has confirmed that the title is City of the Gods, so we won't know until we see the trailer or until one of the big players says so.

Aaron H said:
Wihout a doubt, it fills me with saddness that Darabont's script will never see the light of the screen, but from what I've been told some bits have made it into the new script. What that entails? Well for that we need spoiler tags

Not ground breaking I know, but this new script is hard to get a hold of. I hope that as filming progresses I'll be able to get it in more detail...remember most of the actors haven't seen the whole script (aside from Ford), so it'll be even harder to get tid bits.

Brilliant. Thanks for sharing what you know. Its much appreciated and has been for the several years I've been floating around this site now! Cheers.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Spielberg could be using the March 1986 issue of Mad Magazine to randomly generate a different title for every script hard copy he distributes... that way if it leaks, he knows who to blame. I think the real title and some alternates exist inside a few bearded heads. Who among licensees, promoters, distributors, advertisers or actors really needs to know until November?

I think they are shooting under this title personally but I do not think it'll stick. They need a more exciting word in the title like "Raiders", "Doom" and "Crusade".

Henry Jones Junior said:
I think they are shooting under this title personally but I do not think it'll stick. They need a more exciting word in the title like "Raiders", "Doom" and "Crusade".

My thoughts exactly. It needs an action/adventure word inserted in somewhere. Can't even guess at one myself though.