wouldn't it be cool if...

Niteshade007

It would certainly be different. I'm not sure though if they would do that though. Spielberg is kind of a fan of old film references, and the scene where the ark is being put away is sort of like Citizen Kane. I don't see him taking that scene and turning it into an action sequence with Indy running out of a building with the ark. However, if the whole area 51 rumors are true, perhaps that's where the ark is hidden? Interesting theory.

tnswman

oh, I'm not a fan of the idea either but It would explain a military chase LOL! Plus, we know how indy feels about the govt' having the Ark ;) but he is not a criminal LOL!

Echo22

Stealing the Ark: That's an idea that an entire movie could be based on - not just the beginning action sequence. If the Ark is involved, there's your main artifact. Then I could also see them bringing Abner Ravenwood (John Hurt?) back from the grave who's obsession is now returning the Ark from where it came - back to God! If anything could tip the scale in the Cold War it would be the Ark. Maybe Blanchett is a Russian agent that has just received word that the Americans have something in their possession of unspeakable power. Abner manages to steal it (leaving clues that only Indy and Marion can figure out) and the race is on to find Ravenwood, beat the Russians to the prize and destroy it. All you would need is a bazooka.
And Little Abner (LeBeouf) tags along to meet his grandpa. (y)

Not perfect, but it would certainly count as a McGuffin, right?
I really hope there's an original story with only the subtlest references to past films.

Please, no Martians. :(

peterlally

I think the Ark in the opening scene makes nostalgic sense. But What would be the point in Stealing it? They wouldnt let him put it in a museum!

Niteshade007

As far as nostalgia goes, I wouldn't mind seeing the fertility idol from Raiders perhaps in the background at a museum or something, perhaps a little more subtle reference to the first one. Now, of course, people are going to be saying "But Belloq took it in Raiders!" Yeah, well, it wouldn't make sense as far as plot goes, but it would be nice to see a reference to the first one.

arkfinder

I would have no problem at all if the idol was in a backround shot. But, seen enough that all could make it out. Heck they may get a chuckle or two from movie goers. It would be a little Indy won in the end feel to it.

Last edited:

Niteshade007

True. And I just noticed your name. If the arkfinder doesn't think it'd be a good idea to see the ark again, then I'd say no one else's opinion matters :D

Vendetta08

Niteshade007 said:
As far as nostalgia goes, I wouldn't mind seeing the fertility idol from Raiders perhaps in the background at a museum or something, perhaps a little more subtle reference to the first one. Now, of course, people are going to be saying "But Belloq took it in Raiders!" Yeah, well, it wouldn't make sense as far as plot goes, but it would be nice to see a reference to the first one.

I think that's a good idea. And it's been 20 years, it definitely could have gotten into a museum by then. I wouldn't want them talking about it, but just showing it in the background would be subtle. But as for the Ark, I don't really want to see that in the film again. I loved it, but let it stay in the warehouse.