Indiana Jones And The Dagger of Coronado (FAN FILM)

HenryJunior

Well here's the teaser trailer for a project I've been working on lately. 'Indiana Jones and The Dagger of Coronado'. It should be very much in the vein of the 1912 sequence from LC, but of course I can only aspire to create something as good.

The film will take place in the Sonoran Desert in 1914, and detail Indy's first encounter with René Belloq. I have it all outlined, but the script isn't finished and full production won't begin until it is finished.

This was our first desert shoot so it was more of a test to see what we can do. That is a test costume as well and I'll be acquiring more accurate pieces soon, but I think we got the look right.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RTuQVyllHDk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll post updates and responses on this thread as we progress, and hopefully the finished film!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
HenryJunior said:
Ah yes btw, that's me as Indy :D

Phew! I'm glad you cleared that up...I had a few drinks last night and woke up in the desert. This I can certainly cross of my list.:D

Also, watch out we have Simon Cowell Jr in our mists...

HenryJunior

This could go in Indy gear talk, but since these are also costume pieces for the movie I'm going to go ahead and make use of this thread and post it here.

This has been a bit of a confusing costume, because I don't want Young Indy to be in straight up Raiders gear when he's only a teenager, but I still wanted to get some nice Indy gear. So I've gone for a typical Indy look that doesn't have to be 100% accurate.

Shirt and Pants:

shirtpant.png

I've got some slacks that look pretty good, they have a light brown/gray color that contrast the shirt well enough. (They were free so no complaints (y))

The shirt is called a Field Gear "The Big Shirt" :D. It doesn't have the double front pockets, pleats or shoulder loops, but it isn't supposed to be the Raiders shirt for the purposes of the movie.

Shoulder Bag:

bagj.png

Indy needs a shoulder bag, but since it's 1914 it shouldn't be a MKVII. This is a nice generic Rothco Olive Drab canvas medic bag. I may need to find a way to extend the strap a few inches, other than that it's nice.

The Bullwhip:

jrzwhip.png

Here it is, my first whip. It's a JrzJoe 7 1/2 ft, 8 Plait leather whip. Maybe not the best, but I do have a budget. I can crack it and it looks good so I'm happy :D. One thing's for sure this has definitely started a new interest in whips, hopefully I can get a more high end whip someday.

THE HAT:

fed45.png

Oh yes here it is! My FEDIV! After coming from the licensed Indy Dorfman Pacific, this is beautiful. It's the standard model, and that's perfectly fine, I love it!

fed2.png

fed1.png

fed41.png

Now I have some much better gear than what is in that teaser trailer (y). I can't wait to finish the script and start building a temple in my garage, this should be fun!

gearo.png

HenryJunior

Today I used my brand new camcorder to shoot another Teaser Trailer for the Fan Film. It's my first 1080p HD video, and more importantly my first Indy video in my Akubra FEDIV!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/duLs8W8FsBs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The First Draft of the script is nearly finished, and there are still some things I need to get. The project keeps moving forward and I refuse to give up on it!:whip:

kongisking

Watched both trailers, and pretty good shots. You're wise to focus on Indy's two most iconic aspects: his hat and silhouette. As teasers, they'll do, but if you really want to garner interest for this, make a more dynamic, visually interesting trailer, perhaps with some sort of narration to explain the premise, like a classic 80's trailer.

And I'm speaking as a guy who knows the reaction you get to a bare-bones trailer: namely, none. ;)

But nevertheless, I'll gladly watch it when it's complete. I find fan films to be heartwarming endeavors. Good luck to you, sir. :hat:

HenryJunior

Thank you Kongisking!
I agree but until I start shooting I don't have anything to cut into a cool action packed trailer :p . The most recent trailer was just something I did real quick since I had a better costume and a better camera. I actually really like your idea, doing a trailer like the first one from Raiders with the over the top announcer and "scary" dialogue :D
"It is protected by forces beyond Imagination!"

While the time to wait is aggravating and it lets interest dwindle, I know the more I plan will make filming easier and result in a much better film.
I don't have a precise timeframe on when this will be finished, so until then I'm just trying to put the word out and document my progress here for my fellow Raveners! :gun:

Last edited:

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Thank you Kongisking!
I agree but until I start shooting I don't have anything to cut into a cool action packed trailer :p . The most recent trailer was just something I did real quick since I had a better costume and a better camera. I actually really like your idea, doing a trailer like the first one from Raiders with the over the top announcer and "scary" dialogue :D
"It is protected by forces beyond Imagination!"

While the time to wait is aggravating and it lets interest dwindle, I know the more I plan will make filming easier and result in a much better film.
I don't have a precise timeframe on when this will be finished, so until then I'm just trying to put the word out and document my progress here for my fellow Raveners! :gun:

I understand. As for the trailer idea, I'd be perfectly willing to offer my services as the narrator. Just let me know if you ever require such a service...:hat:

HenryJunior

Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind :hat:.

Instead of a double post, I'll edit it in here:
3/17/13

The First draft of "Indiana Jones and the Dagger of Coronado" is
FINISHED!

Last edited:

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
Thanks! I'll definitely keep that in mind :hat:.

Instead of a double post, I'll edit it in here:
3/17/13

The First draft of "Indiana Jones and the Dagger of Coronado" is
FINISHED!

It's always a wonderful moment when you complete something. Now, for the hard part: executing the darned thing.

HenryJunior

While some friends of mine make their notes on the script, I'm still making some progress.

Enter René Belloq!

I've officially started René's Costume, and purchased this:

0319132208a.jpg

For a cheap hat I can't ask for any better. Seeing it against my Akubra makes me really excited! (y)

0319132209.jpg

HenryJunior

3/27/13
The first real production meeting was today! We did some script revisions, a read through, and most importantly choreographed the fight scene (y)

I filmed a rough cut of the fight, but the one in the movie will have many more camera angles and cuts, what we filmed today was for practice and reference. I can't wait to go out in the desert and film this for real. Playing Indy, cracking the whip, and throwing punches is too much fun!

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
3/27/13
The first real production meeting was today! We did some script revisions, a read through, and most importantly choreographed the fight scene (y)

I filmed a rough cut of the fight, but the one in the movie will have many more camera angles and cuts, what we filmed today was for practice and reference. I can't wait to go out in the desert and film this for real. Playing Indy, cracking the whip, and throwing punches is too much fun!

This is probably an outrageous idea, but if you can somehow pull off replicating the move from the Emperor's Tomb game of Indy whipping a foe, pulling him in and knocking him out cold, it would be really sweet. Loved that move...:cool:

HenryJunior

3/31/13
I made the most important prop over the last two days, The Dagger of Coronado. It's too early to show it, you'll have to wait until the movie comes out! :whip:

HenryJunior

4/29/13

Well as my school year is winding down, full production of TDOC is on the horizon. A few locations are being scouted and the scenes we plan to film are about to be storyboarded. I plan to film exteriors throughout July and start building interiors. I'm working on the tests for a few effects shots and still brainstorming ideas with my friend Aaron. The time for release is still looking at sometime next year.

Anyway here's a sneak-peek at a prop for the film:

Indy's Map

daggermapresize.jpg

kongisking

HenryJunior said:
4/29/13

Well as my school year is winding down, full production of TDOC is on the horizon. A few locations are being scouted and the scenes we plan to film are about to be storyboarded. I plan to film exteriors throughout July and start building interiors. I'm working on the tests for a few effects shots and still brainstorming ideas with my friend Aaron. The time for release is still looking at sometime next year.

Anyway here's a sneak-peek at a prop for the film:

Indy's Map

daggermapresize.jpg

A true Indyfan never has X mark the spot on a map. So kudos for not doing so! (y)

HenryJunior

Thanks kongisking, The map will be marked on during filming so I suppose you are looking at a 99% finished prop :D. I guess I'll have to make a circle instead of an X.

4/30/13

This was a nice surprise from my Dad, a lamp! I had already bought a red lamp, and in the course of modifying it to hold a candle, I smashed the cheap glass chimney. So, Dad bought another lantern that is smaller but IMO looks better. This one was left stock.

lampsforum.jpg

I still think there may be a place for my broken lantern in the movie. :hat: