The show will go on

Would you like to see an Indiana Jones mini series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

indifan101

We all don't want the Indiana Jones trilogy to end, but all greats have to take their leave. But how about the idea for an Indiana Jones mini series like Battlestar or SG-1? That would be a great way (at least I think so) to continue Indy's adventures!:D

IndyBuff

It might work, although like phatr32 said, I would want it to remain consistant with the Indy timeline and his adventures.

Paden

With the mention of Battlestar Galactica, I can't avoid thinking about all of the reported ill will that the Galactica mini-series received from some die hard adherents of the original incarnation of the show. As best I understand, many fans of the older series wanted a continuation of the story set forth in original episodes, and were upset by the fact that the producers ultimately chose to take the core concept of the series and take it in a new, darker direction. I haven't honestly watched many episodes of the new series, but I understand that it has received a fair amount of acclaim from the press and fans, but my perception is also that many fans of the first series felt alienated by the new Battlestar Galactica.

Having said that, I would hope that if such a mini-series was undertaken, it would be done with a genuine respect for the source material and would be something that was of sufficient quality to be placed in the canon of the existing trilogy. But there are a lot of variables involved. Although we can talk about the "spirit" of the Indiana Jones films, there is a delicate balance between creating material that fits within an existing film series and allowing sufficient creative freedom to take an established character in a fresh direction that could breathe life into a new chapter. Much would ride on the story/script and the creative instincts of the project's director. I have to confess that I would probably be skeptical of a mini-series, but I can envision some fascinating paths such a project could take, such as being devoted to Jones' tutelage under Abner Ravenwood, where some of the secrets of Indiana's fateful training and Abner's obsession could be more thoroughly explored.

Still, I have to confess that, given the pulp/matinee underpinnings of the Indiana Jones movies, I honestly believe that Indiana's place is on the silver screen. No other format captures such larger-than-life adventures quite as effectively. :)

monkey

Any new Indiana Jones would be great!!

He's a great character with so much potential.....

It's a shame to see him serving a "life" sentence with no parole....

Abe Vayoda

I'd like to see "Indiana Jones: The Animated Series" get the Bruce Timm team to do some work on it, make it an adult cartoon, with a 10:00 time slot, and I think it'd go over well. I think a live action series would wreak of cheese. However, if it's done well, by people who LOVE the movies (in front and behind the camera), I think it could be cool... but I think people would equate it to YIJC.
How about an offshoot series with Katanga "The Thrilling Adventures of Captain Katanga" I always though Katanga was a cool character, and wished they'd have done something more with him.

Katarn07

Paden said:
With the mention of Battlestar Galactica, I can't avoid thinking about all of the reported ill will that the Galactica mini-series received from some die hard adherents of the original incarnation of the show. As best I understand, many fans of the older series wanted a continuation of the story set forth in original episodes, and were upset by the fact that the producers ultimately chose to take the core concept of the series and take it in a new, darker direction. I haven't honestly watched many episodes of the new series, but I understand that it has received a fair amount of acclaim from the press and fans, but my perception is also that many fans of the first series felt alienated by the new Battlestar Galactica.

Bad example. The new BSG (which I adore) wasn't meant to be the original. It was restarting the whole story (which had a cool basic idea, but was plagued by stereotypical sci fi stuff you'd expect from SW, Star Trek, etc). It isn't meant to stay in the same timeline at all like all the Star Trek spinoffs, so people need to treat them as seperate things.

Having said that, I would hope that if such a mini-series was undertaken, it would be done with a genuine respect for the source material and would be something that was of sufficient quality to be placed in the canon of the existing trilogy. But there are a lot of variables involved. Although we can talk about the "spirit" of the Indiana Jones films, there is a delicate balance between creating material that fits within an existing film series and allowing sufficient creative freedom to take an established character in a fresh direction that could breathe life into a new chapter.

Agreed. Everyone feels it needs to be treated as if it were another movie. That wouldn't be done. Just look at the Young Indy series production value. It was ok, but I don't really give those a second thought nowadays. The same thing is gonna probably happen to future TV Indy adaptations.

Still, I have to confess that, given the pulp/matinee underpinnings of the Indiana Jones movies, I honestly believe that Indiana's place is on the silver screen. No other format captures such larger-than-life adventures quite as effectively. :)

Agreed. My answer is no.

Katarn07

Sorry for the double post, but I had to respond to this.

Abe Vayoda said:
I'd like to see "Indiana Jones: The Animated Series" get the Bruce Timm team to do some work on it, make it an adult cartoon, with a 10:00 time slot, and I think it'd go over well. I think a live action series would wreak of cheese. However, if it's done well, by people who LOVE the movies (in front and behind the camera), I think it could be cool... but I think people would equate it to YIJC.
How about an offshoot series with Katanga "The Thrilling Adventures of Captain Katanga" I always though Katanga was a cool character, and wished they'd have done something more with him.

Sounds like the best idea for a TV thing. I want an adult Indy (both the character appearing as Ford and for an older audience to enjoy). I'd love to see some better animation than the Bruce Timm team. I love Batman: The Animated Series, but after first three seasons, the art work took a nose dive and looked like cheap crap. I prefer realism above all else. Indy didn't begin as a comic.

Abe Vayoda

Well, here it is anyway, my own concept for Indy: The Animated Series...

indianaanimated.jpg

Everything in here was manipulated from drawings from the Batman: Animated Series (except the whip jacket and gunbelt). You can find my sources at Batmanunmasked.com

I meant to add chest hair and beard stubble... maybe later.

Chris Jones

Abe Vayoda said:

Yea an animated series ouwld be nice, i'd go with animated or live action, but of course it'd have to be in the same time period. Don't want to Indy to go all future on us.

Katarn07

Abe Vayoda said:
Well, here it is anyway, my own concept for Indy: The Animated Series...

Everything in here was manipulated from drawings from the Batman: Animated Series (except the whip jacket and gunbelt). You can find my sources at Batmanunmasked.com

I meant to add chest hair and beard stubble... maybe later.

Ok, that would be cool. Do add the chest hair and stubble to set him apart from Bruce. For that to work, you'd either need Ford or a good soundalike.

Katarn07

Finn said:
Doug Lee and David Esch have done pretty decent job at that.

And what are they from? The FoA voice isn't good, and ET is alright. Only played the IM demo ages ago. I'm guessing that's where they're from.

The ultimate soundalike in any videogame I've come across is Bob Bergen as Luke Skywalker. He does a great job. Many online reviews thought it was Mark Hamill in JO alongside of Billy Dee as Lando, but it wasn't and Bergen appears in every LEC game with Luke in it (as far back as '97 I believe).

HovitosKing

Sigh

This poll sorta hits on whether you could accept the fact that the Indiana Jones franchise is a vital piece of film history and has ridden off into the sunset with dignity intact, or whether you can't let it go and demand to see it (in any form) revived because it was such a fantastic trilogy in the 80's.

It's like seeing an old guy sitting by himself in the bar. Sure, he was cool back in the day, but now he's just a sad, pathetic has-been. Let Indy retain his legacy. Don't make him dress up and go through the motions for you one last time, which will certainly come across as sad and pathetic, on either the big or small screen. There's no way to do him justice. No way.

Jay R. Zay

HovitosKing said:
This poll sorta hits on whether you could accept the fact that the Indiana Jones franchise is a vital piece of film history and has ridden off into the sunset with dignity intact, or whether you can't let it go and demand to see it (in any form) revived because it was such a fantastic trilogy in the 80's.

It's like seeing an old guy sitting by himself in the bar. Sure, he was cool back in the day, but now he's just a sad, pathetic has-been. Let Indy retain his legacy. Don't make him dress up and go through the motions for you one last time, which will certainly come across as sad and pathetic, on either the big or small screen. There's no way to do him justice. No way.

i wouldn't really put it that way. for me it's just that the indy trilogy was great and it's hard to make a new movie that can keep up with them. making TWO movies would be even harder. making about 10 movies that are all true indy movies - and making them soon, before ford really gets too old - sounds almost impossible. it would be great to see a couple of smaller adventures that don't contain mystery, etc, but only if they've still got the indy feeling. and as i doubt they would - better leave your hands off it. i'm already kinda worried about indy4. it's not like i'm one of those harcore fans who think "oh no, indy 4! i can't sleep at night when i think about it". not *that* kind of worried. i'm just a little afraid that indy4 would be disappointing which would spoil the trilogy a bit - as the new episodes harmed the name "star wars" as well. star wars now no longer stands for the "wow!"-effect-movies that everybody likes (at least just a little bit) and everybody has to have seen. there aren't many series that are so mainstreamy and yet so well respected.

i can only think of three - indiana jones, star wars (before the release of 1-3) and back to the future. jurassic park got disappointing after the first part, too, when they decided to no longer pay so much attention to michael crichtons work. alien, for my taste, is a very well done trilogy but all in all it is too unusual to appeal to everyone.

my point is - it's easy to ruin a masterpiece and so far, there is only Indy and BTTF left. both of them await a probable sequel and i think it will be as hard for BTTF as it is for indy. fox has parkinson, ford is getting old. then again, eric stoltz is a probable alternative to fox and i'm not absolutely against replacing ford. but it has to be something with a VERY similar look and feel. i think dennis quaid or perhaps even seann w. scott (same smile at least). would be worth thinking about i guess.

IndyBuff

Wow Jay, we actually seem to agree some things. This is scary!;)

Anyway, I think the Indy movies are special to all of us and that's why we're so cautious and uncertain about its future. After three great movies one can't help but wonder if the magic can be captured once more nearly 20 years after the last film was released. I still think Indy IV has the potential to be great but I think some careful and mindful planning will be required, and it sounds like Lucas, Spielburg and Ford are working hard to follow those guideliness.

With any luck, we'll be able to experience the magic and adventure at least one more time.:)

Finn

Staff member
Katarn07 said:
And what are they from? The FoA voice isn't good, and ET is alright. Only played the IM demo ages ago. I'm guessing that's where they're from.
Lee voiced Indy in both FoA and IM. Esch's performance can be heard in ET.

And I happen to think that Lee's performance in FoA is superb. Of course there's a lot of dialogue so naturally there's gotta be some flat performances in the mix... Esch comes as good second in ET. Lee's role in IM was routine, doesn't stand out by any aspects.