The Mayan Calendar and 2012

AlivePoet

The most interesting part of this "phenomenon", I think, is the possibility of galactic alignment. Don't have time to say more just now.

Hanselation

AlivePoet said:
The most interesting part of this "phenomenon", I think, is the possibility of galactic alignment. Don't have time to say more just now.

Indy would say: "I don't know, I'm making this up as I go" ;)

DocWhiskey

Every few years is the end of the world.

Instead of focusing on the end why don't we just live life to the fullest until that time comes, right?

Like me.

I had 2 chocolate milks yesterday instead of one.

I'm living life dangerously.

Mrs_Fedora

DocWhiskey said:
Every few years is the end of the world.

Instead of focusing on the end why don't we just live life to the fullest until that time comes, right?

Like me.

I had 2 chocolate milks yesterday instead of one.

I'm living life dangerously.

Indeed. I had a big bag of crisps last weekend.... and then another one :eek:

Were they predicting something, (in which case not realizing their culture was a dead one is a big BIG oversight, dare I say miss)?

Is it more likely they just weren't around to sell the "New Mayan Calendar"

Gear

This thread in itself is a timecapsule

I wonder if perhaps the Mayas' meaning was misinterpreted. As I recall, the Maya never necessarily said the 'world would end' on 2012, but instead that a new cycle would begin, as, they said, had always happened and always would. The Maya believed they were the product of the last cycle before them and that new ones would always be ushered in periodically.

People jumped the gun.

My interpretation is that the world as we know it will end (pertaining to a number of possibilities), not that humanity will end. Taking into consideration the astrology and mathematics involved and the mechanics of this universe, could it be that the veil between worlds is thinning? That beings will have a great opportunity to make their presence known? Why would they, then? And if they're hostile, get Madonna to spread her legs, they might try to negotiate with it.

And cue REM.

Gear said:
That beings will have a great opportunity to make their presence known? Why would they, then? And if they're hostile, get Madonna to spread her legs, they might try to negotiate with it.

Quite a gamble you propose, if the don't run in fear of her pet bats escaping her opening like the opening of a scooby doo cartoon...

AlivePoet

Pale Horse said:
I completely agree. And, I have lots to say on this.

Same, I'll try to get around to it in the next month.

Rocket Surgeon said:
Quite a gamble you propose, if the don't run in fear of her pet bats escaping her opening like the opening of a scooby doo cartoon...

Sounds like an opportunity for Shaggy to live up to his name. Like, zoinks! ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
The Koyaanisqatsi lyrics, translated from Hopi, are "near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky" and "a container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."

(Lucas produced the sequel Powaqqatsi...)

Indy Scout 117

who really believes in that crap??? :confused: i dont get how anyone would really believe it!! i mean, it makes a good movie idea (hence the movie 2012) but thats about it.

Stoo

TODAY is DOOMSDAY!

Today is the day: 12-12-12.

It's also one of my best friend's birthday today and he & his girlfriend are going for lunch at 12:12pm EST.:D

Finn

Staff member
Actually, Stoo, it's 21-12-12 (or 12-21-12 for you Yanquis out there).

9 more days to go.

So... anybody interested in acquiring a real cheap time share?

Stoo

D'oh! I got my 1s and 2s mixed up.:eek: Of course, you are right, Finn. The winter solstice and all that...

Still, it is a cool date today. The next time triple repeating date will happen on 1st January, 2101.

21-12, eh? Great album!(y)

220px-Rush_2112.jpg

Thank God!

If it wasn't for industrialization, and the realignment of earths' resources: icebergs/ice shelves melting, mined heavy metals and great bodies of water dammed we would have remained in an orbit where the asteriod would have ended everything. We got that carbon footprint in the ass just when we needed it!

Newly discovered asteroid buzzes Earth inside moon’s orbit

A recently discovered asteroid gave Earth a close shave on Dec. 11, zipping between our planet and the moon just two days after astronomers first spotted it.

According to researchers, the near-Earth asteroid 2012 XE54, which was discovered Sunday (Dec. 9), came within 140,000 miles (230,000 kilometers) of our planet at about 5 a.m. EST (1000 GMT) Tuesday.

For comparison, the moon orbits Earth at an average distance of 240,000 miles or so (386,000 km).

Astronomers estimate that 2012 XE54 is about 120 feet (36 meters) wide -- big enough to cause substantial damage if it slams into Earth someday. An object of similar size flattened 800 square miles (2,000 square km) of forest when it exploded above Siberia’s Podkamennaya Tunguska River in 1908.

Asteroid 2012 XE54 also passed through Earth’s shadow a few hours before its closest approach, generating an eclipse on the space rock’s surface, researchers said.

“Asteroids eclipsing during an Earth flyby are relatively rare,” Discovery News quoted astronomer Pasquale Tricarico, of the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Ariz., as writing in a blog post Monday (Dec. 10).

The first known case, Tricarico added, was “asteroid 2008 TC3 which was totally eclipsed just one hour before entering Earth’s atmosphere over Sudan in 2008, and asteroid 2012 KT42 experiencing both an eclipse and a transit during the same Earth flyby in 2012.

2012 XE54 will be coming back to Earth’s neighborhood before too much longer. The asteroid completes one lap around the sun every 2.72 years.

Vance

Rocket Surgeon said:
If it wasn't for industrialization, and the realignment of earths' resources: icebergs/ice shelves melting, mined heavy metals and great bodies of water dammed we would have remained in an orbit where the asteriod would have ended everything. We got that carbon footprint in the ass just when we needed it!

THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS!

Vance said:
THAT'S NOT HOW PHYSICS WORKS!
NO?!

HOW DOES IT WORK?

Dams for Water Supply Are Altering Earth's Orbit, Expert Says

By MALCOLM W. BROWNE
Published: March 03, 1996

The insatiable thirst of the world's burgeoning billions has caused a spurt of dam building in temperate regions in the last 40 years, and a scientist with the space agency has found that the reservoirs are affecting Earth's orbital rotation.

Although Earth's rate of spin is gradually slowing because of the tidal drag of the moon, the slowing would have been measurably greater if it were not for the influence of 88 reservoirs built since the early 1950's, said the scientist, Dr. Benjamin Fong Chao, a geophysicist at the Goddard Space Flight Center, an arm of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in Greenbelt, Md. Each of the reservoirs contains at least 2.4 cubic miles of water weighing 10 billion metric tons. The reservoirs contain the bulk of the world's impounded water.

The shift in the distribution of Earth's water caused by the reservoirs has tended to speed the planet's spin. Without lunar tidal drag, the reservoir effect would have reduced the length of a day by 0.2 millionths of a second a day for the last 40 years, Dr. Chao calculated.

The reason for this, he said, is that the shifting of water to mid-latitude reservoirs in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres has increased the amount of the world's water in those latitudes in relation to the Equator. In effect, more water is closer to Earth's axis. Moreover, Earth's axis is being slightly tilted by the weight of water that has collected in the 88 reservoirs, Dr. Chao found, and the shape of the planet's gravitational field has been altered.

These effects are several hundred times smaller than natural variations in Earth's motion, Dr. Chao said in an interview, and they pose no danger to people or the global environment. Still, he reported recently in Geophysical Research Papers, the effects of reservoir construction are significant enough that they will have to be taken into consideration in calculating long-term changes in global motion. His conclusions are based on geophysical measurements, international data bases and theoretical calculations.

Dam building in the former Soviet Union, Canada, Brazil and other mid-latitude countries has been rapid in the last four decades, and fresh water collected from rivers and other terrestrial sources has increased in this period by 10,000 cubic kilometers, or 10 trillion tons, an amount equivalent to all the moisture in Earth's atmosphere. This water mostly accumulates from rain, which in turn comes from clouds that draw their moisture largely from the evaporation of ocean water.

This enormous shift of water from the oceans has somewhat offset the continuing rise in global sea level, which would have been about 1.2 inches greater over the last 40 years if there had been no new reservoirs, Dr. Chao says.

Although scientists are uncertain about the causes of the observed rise in sea level, many say they believe that a major cause is global warming and the consequent expansion of liquid water and melting of mountain glaciers. In general, a rising sea level is regarded as a potential threat to many regions because it might eventually inundate low-lying countries like Bangladesh and coastal cities around the world. So the reservoir effect is desirable because it presumably slows the rise in sea level.

But another geophysicist, Dr. Dork L. Sahagian of the University of New Hampshire, has said he believes that the reservoir effect is too small to offset the rise sufficiently to rule out future coastal flooding.

Geophysicists have little doubt that dam building will continue rapidly until all sources of recoverable water have been exploited, a time some scientists calculate will come in the next century.

I guess I should take your word over geophysicist Dr. Benjamin Fong Chao!

Last edited: