Top 5 Books?

Little Indy

The Grapes of Wrath Steinbeck. It's a great story that deals with the working class struggles.
Catch 22 Heller. This book is hilarious even though it deals with war. I suggest everyone read this book.
The Jungle Sinclair. An eye opening account of the meat packing industry
Rumor of War Caputo. A first hound account of life in Vietnam for a marine. I liked it because it tells it like it was.
Black Hawk Down Bowden. I liked this book because it was literally minute by minute account of the events that happened in Mogadishu. Very intense.

As you might notice I prefer historical based reading. Although I do enjoy other areas as well, these hapen to be my 5.

Katarn07

Of Mice and Men (read it for Freshman year of high school)
The Outsiders (read it for 8th grade)
Ender's Game (if you haven't heard of this and read it yet, do so now please)
Halo: The Fall of Reach (waaaaay better than the video games; if they made a movie, I'd hope it was based off this prequel story)
Moon Called (a skinwalker, some werewolves, and vampires... it's actually not as goofy as it sounds and is a very exciting book full of great, memorable characters)

I don't read and reread books and I've read so many in my life that I know I'm missing some. These are the ones that I finished in a day because I was so engaged by them. I finished the first Harry Potter book in a day as well but must admit I didn't really care for it enough to continue the series.

Wu_Han

As far as fictional books go (and in no particular order)...

1. Jurrassic Park
2. The Duplicate
3. The Green Futures of Tycho

That's about it. I mostly read non-fiction.

MaxPhactor23

I can’t really chose just five, so I apologize if my list is a bit large and doesn't really follow the rules. It’s in not particular order of favoritism, after all...you can have more then one favorite.

1. Lord of the Rings
2. Jurassic Park
3. Dracula
4. The Hobbit
5. Heart of Darkness
6. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
7. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass
8. The Once and Future King
9. Paradise Lost
10. 1984

I obviously like cliche fantasy and history oriented topics. I find them charming and educational. I’ve probably read more books then most people have read in their lives. I’m not sure if that’s exactly something to be proud of, it shows how mundane my life can be, but I’ve always been something of a bookworm. I admire readers, so much so that if, for example, an attractive girl tells me she dislikes reading, I lose interest right away. But then I’ve always been somewhat shallow. It’s a shame how the modern book is dying. Reading from a screen just doesn’t have the same feel as paper between your fingers, the smell of ink and pulp.

Lao Che Pun

When you say "books," I'm assuming you mean fiction? (Most of my personal library is non-fiction)

If I had to list 5 fiction favs...I'd have to go with:

1) Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
2) Breakfast of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut
3) Ishmael by Daniel Quinn
4) Talk Radio by Eric Bogosian
5) Contact by Carl Sagan

Holla, if anyone agrees!

MaxPhactor23

Little Indy said:
@ max
5, 9, 10, Ah yes those were good ones. I especially enjoyed Heart of Darkness.

You have good taste my friend. Heart of Darkness has to be one of the finest novels ever made. :)

WillKill4Food

The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton
The Firm by John Grisham
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

All of these books are great. That's why I like them. They were exciting and most of them I read in a few sittings because they were so great.

Lao Che Pun

WillKill4Food said:
The Great Train Robbery by Michael Crichton
The Firm by John Grisham
Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
The Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

All of these books are great. That's why I like them. They were exciting and most of them I read in a few sittings because they were so great.

I almost put the Red October in my top 5 too!

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rayder said:
If it were the top seven...

I'm sure Indyologist won't mind too much if you offer another 2 options.

For me?

1. God: A Biography by Jack Miles
2. Uncle Vanya by Anton Chekhov
3. The Last Samurai by Helen DeWitt
4. John Ford by Joseph McBride and Michael Wilmington
5. The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman

I can't be sure of these things, but that's the list I'll offer right now. They're certainly things I find myself returning to, pulling off the shelf to read or to quote.

WillKill4Food

Lao Che Pun said:
I almost put the Red October in my top 5 too!
Well, they aren't necessarily in order. Catch-22 is one of my alltime favorites, but so are the others. I just put five books that I catch myself rereading a lot or remember very well.

Tennessee Smith

I'd have to say that "On the Road" by Kerouac is my top book. The way it reads like a true road story is amazing. Plus I always wanted to know what illness the title character just got over at the beginning of the book.

Rayder

Attila the Professor said:
I'm sure Indyologist won't mind too much if you offer another 2 options.QUOTE]

Ok... but do I really need to list them, I said seven for a reason..., but beside those 7 books,
all of my other favorites are classics

1.How the Grench stole christmas
2.The foot book
3.the cat in the hat
4.one fish two fish, red fish, blue fish
5.Green Eggs and Ham

Last edited: