Finally my copy of "The Complete Making of Indiana Jones"

Henry Jones VII

arrived today in the mail :D :D

Picture0003.jpg

:whip:

HenryJunior

It's a good read. Not really enough info on the movies past Raiders, but still a great book.
I hope you enjoy it :whip:

Henry Jones VII

It's really interesting how the character was born. I'm at the beginning, when Lucas and Spielberg were having meetings with Larry Kasdan about the script and characters.

kongisking

I wish I still had mine. Some water from a leaky roof got onto my copy, and ruined it, so I need to find a new one someday...:(

But good for you, Henry. It really is an excellent book...despite the fact KOTCS' section is basically regurgitated interviews from the Official Mag and the DVD special features...

Crack that whip

That's because it was published right about the same time the movie was released (slightly before it, in fact, IIRC), so it wasn't as comprehensive re: post-production and so on, and of course had nothing on the release, response, etc. as it had had for the other three. Aside from that one quibble, I have just one really major complaint, though it's a big one - that it ignores The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles altogether, save for a brief mention near the beginning of the coverage on the gestation of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
:(

Still, though, those two issues aside, it really is an excellent book, and probably ought to be in every Indy fan's library.
(y)

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Still, though, those two issues aside, it really is an excellent book, and probably ought to be in every Indy fan's library.
(y)
Agreed, although, there are some fans out there who aren't interested in behind-the-scenes stuff. For them, knowing too much about how the films were made ruins their magic.:(

That said, shouldn't this thread be merged with the main one in the Literature section?:confused:
The Complete Making of Indiana Jones

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
Wait till you get to the part about the monkey army...
What's with you and monkeys? Whatever it is, I like it! (y)

kongisking said:
I wish I still had mine. Some water from a leaky roof got onto my copy, and ruined it, so I need to find a new one someday...:(

Ruined, maybe, but it could be an opportunity to fish thru the pages, cut out all the un-ruined images and text, and make a cool collage, some shadow box backdrops, bathroom wallpaper, or something.

Kooshmeister

Sakis said:
NOW??? And you call your self an Indyfan? :eek:

I don't have one, either. :(

Been meaning to get a copy, but anything over $20 is a bit expensive for me these days as an impulse buy, and I'm sad to say that these last several months, Indy items have been in the "impulse buy" category for me, as I've been hooked on vintage 12-inch GI Joes and movie soundtracks (Intrada and La La Land CD's of movie scores cost a pretty penny). I do very much want to get a copy, though.

I just hope it's worth the money and covers the details I want to learn more about. Like the planning and execution of the truck chase sequence, and when and why Toht switched cars and died differently, the explanation for the one guy's bandaged head at the Nazi base, more info about the Oskar Schomburg scenes, etc. Also any more info about the Last Crusade deleted scenes especially... and why almost none of them are in the script. Really. They're in the novelization and comic adaptation, but I'm wondering when exactly they were come up with and why they got deleted because unlike many of the other Indy deleted scenes, its deleted scenes exist in this weird kind of nonexistence where they aren't even in the script...

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
Kooshmeister said:

Been meaning to get a copy, but anything over $20 is a bit expensive for me these days as an impulse buy, and I'm sad to say that these last several months, Indy items have been in the "impulse buy" category for me, as I've been hooked on vintage 12-inch GI Joes and movie soundtracks (Intrada and La La Land CD's of movie scores cost a pretty penny). I do very much want to get a copy, though.

I just hope it's worth the money and covers the details I want to learn more about. Like the planning and execution of the truck chase sequence, and when and why Toht switched cars and died differently, the explanation for the one guy's bandaged head at the Nazi base, more info about the Oskar Schomburg scenes, etc. Also any more info about the Last Crusade deleted scenes especially... and why almost none of them are in the script. Really. They're in the novelization and comic adaptation, but I'm wondering when exactly they were come up with and why they got deleted because unlike many of the other Indy deleted scenes, its deleted scenes exist in this weird kind of nonexistence where they aren't even in the script...

I know what you mean because I'm having financial issues myself these days. About the book, as far as I can remember it will not answer your questions but still it is full of information on all the films, but you'll be the judge if it worths your money. Can't you go to a bookstore and sit down and take a good look at it?

James Byrne

HenryJunior said:
It's a good read. Not really enough info on the movies past Raiders, but still a great book.
I hope you enjoy it :whip:

And there's absolutely nothing on SECRET OF THE INCAS ... nothing ... which is a big mystery. The Heston character isn't mentioned even once!

Crack that whip

Kooshmeister said:

Sakis said:
I know what you mean because I'm having financial issues myself these days. About the book, as far as I can remember it will not answer your questions but still it is full of information on all the films, but you'll be the judge if it worths your money. Can't you go to a bookstore and sit down and take a good look at it?

Oh, I'm totally with both of you guys, there. I just can't afford to keep up with all the cool stuff I love, even when it's Indy-related. :( While I do obviously have The Complete Making of, I still haven't gotten around to getting the Ultimate Guide or Lost Journal, for the same reason. Alas.

Koosh, nice to see another soundtrack fan here! Intrada and La La Land (and Film Score Monthly, and Varese Sarabande, and so on) want my money, too...

Kooshmeister

Sakis said:
Can't you go to a bookstore and sit down and take a good look at it?

The only big bookstore near me is a Barnes & Noble which doesn't carry it any longer. They got rid of their "movies and theater" section a few years ago actually.

Crack that whip said:
Koosh, nice to see another soundtrack fan here! Intrada and La La Land (and Film Score Monthly, and Varese Sarabande, and so on) want my money, too...

Heh. I just got the Intrada scores for Master of the World and Re-Animator myself.

Kooshmeister said:
I don't have one, either. :( Been meaning to get a copy, but anything over $20 is a bit expensive for me these days ...
You can get it on line that cheap, hell I got the hardcover shipped to me from the UK BRAND NEW for $22.

There's no excuse if you have a computer, and I know that you do!