Sony Pictures -- HACKED!!!!

Joe Brody

Hate to say it but I have no sympathy for Sony. The Interview was reckless -- regardless of whatever precedent there may be out there like Team America. You want to go after the leader of a rogue sovereign state be prepared to reap the consequences.

kongisking

I was actually looking forward to The Interview precisely because its such a outrageously ballsy idea. I did worry NK would be douchey enough to seriously retaliate, but I still wanted to see how it would turn out.

This hack is unfortunate on some levels (a couple of the leaked email conversations are very nasty and sure to destroy a couple professional relationships) but also highly fortuitous on others (apparently among the leaked info is revelations that Sony realizes they've screwing up Spider-Man and want to let Marvel reboot the character in exchange for Sony getting a profit cut or somesuch).

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
Hate to say it but I have no sympathy for Sony. The Interview was reckless -- regardless of whatever precedent there may be out there like Team America. You want to go after the leader of a rogue sovereign state be prepared to reap the consequences.

From the heart of Tinsel Town, this feels more like a petulant disgruntled employee with serious malware skills, then a petulant disgruntled leader of the 3rd World. But even in Hollywood, the truth is stranger than fiction.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Pale Horse said:
this feels more like a petulant disgruntled employee with serious malware skills, then a petulant disgruntled leader of the 3rd World.
Maybe we'll find out next year if it's a hack or a leak. Right now I wouldn't want to be the Korean intern who works late to get ahead because he loves the industry so much.

When celebrity nudes were hacked from the cloud a few months ago, news entities refused to show even a blurred image. But I figured if text message databases with gossipy, petulant quotes were included, they would be fair game. I don't think "any publicity is good" in either of these cases, since they reveal for free what they may have hoped we some day might pay for. I have nothing against Sony and can't condone the hack, but must admit this is a better Christmas gift than the annual Black List.

I don't know what scripts are bundled somewhere in the hundreds of gigabytes of data, but they would probably include some of these. When they emerge, expect official statements about "old" and "unfinished" drafts. That's what they said about Twilight 3 and Avengers and now Spectre. But check out Deep Tiki for example. Five years ago it stank on paper, and now test audiences are saying the same thing. "Cameron [Crowe] never really changed anything." Man, how hard is it to write and/or doctor a script?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Moedred said:
Man, how hard is it to write and/or doctor a script?

This goes without sayin, given you're extensive archives, this question is best suited for Frank Darabont. :p

It must be pretty significant for properties deemed profitable, to produce the sort of reaction we saw with Indy, and that is being demonstrated here.

Finn

Staff member
TheFedora said:
Apparently Sony is threatening the media not to cover any of the movie news in the leaks...also they wanted to 'destroy' google and dictate search results to combat piracy.
Of course, the only one who's done anything illegal is the original cracker/leaker. The companies know this, and the news outlets know this. Still, they figure that it's worth checking out if suppressing the news is less of a hassle for the latter than engaging in a tedious court battle. Or simply dealing with the threat of it. Even if the outcome is clear since beginning. Cute.

However, even if it isn't illegal, one can always ponder if using the situation to ones advantage is immoral (and doubly so with that celebrity picture leak). Maybe. But in my book, the ones who leave their stuff vulnerable like this are equally to blame. True, it may, in large part, be out of ignorance, but is that really an excuse when there are instructions on how to do it right freely available?

"Laugh it up tech wiz," one might now utter. But that's missing the point, since said instructions are very much written with lay people in mind. Extensive knowledge possessed by the likes of yours truly is not required in making sure this kind of stuff does not happen. All it takes is some common sense.

kongisking

Finn said:
But in my book, the ones who leave their stuff vulnerable like this are equally to blame. True, it may, in large part, be out of ignorance, but is that really an excuse when there are instructions on how to do it right freely available?

Well, uh, erm, no offense sir but...that's why they're hackers. Because they are very very skilled at breaking into cyber-places that are usually locked up tight.

This really begs the question of why everyone keeps casually assuming that internet security and firewalls are lazily-designed on principal. The whole point of security is to be, well, secure. What idiot would design a system to be easily broken through? So it stands to reason only exceptional folks can get past it. And that seems to be the case here.

Last I checked, this is the real world, not Star Wars, where plot convenience allows for a planet-destroying super weapon to have an amazingly simple, lazy single weakness to exploit. :p

In conclusion: I may not like Sony much myself, but this victim-blaming mentality is silly. The nude leaks all over again.

Finn

Staff member
kongisking said:
Well, uh, erm, no offense sir but...that's why they're hackers. Because they are very very skilled at breaking into cyber-places that are usually locked up tight.
First of all, the proper term is "cracker". People who call 'em "hackers" show their actual knowledge of the subject right there and then. Which is next to none.

I'm not saying it's wholly incorrect these days, though. At least to a layperson. Evolution of language and all that. But if you're "in the know", so to speak, you still don't make that mistake.

kongisking said:
This really begs the question of why everyone keeps casually assuming that internet security and firewalls are lazily-designed on principal. The whole point of security is to be, well, secure. What idiot would design a system to be easily broken through? So it stands to reason only exceptional folks can get past it. And that seems to be the case here.
It's not the system, you dolt. It's what said system is attached to.

kongisking said:
Last I checked, this is the real world, not Star Wars, where plot convenience allows for a planet-destroying super weapon to have an amazingly simple, lazy single weakness to exploit.
You know, this actually hold very true in real life as well. A very common example: the Abloy lock, which is considered unpickable. However, if somebody really wants to get into your house, all they have to do is jimmy a window.

Firewalls are there for the same reason. Ultimately, their main purpose is to keep honest people honest. The real solution is to make sure the stuff hidden behind the firewall is of no use to the guy trying to get to it.

In the corporate world, this can easily be achieved with simple encryption/decryption software. Create the file, let the program encrypt it, upload it to the server. Whoever downloads it must have the proper software to decrypt. Hell, you don't technically even need a firewall if you do that. Anyone who taps into the line in the middle will only get random gibberish.

Note, I don't mean every Joe on the street should do this with their selfies or pieces of fan fiction or grandma's cookie recipes or whatever they have stored in The Cloud. It's highly unlikely anybody will be interested in those. At least anyone with real skills of getting through a regular firewall. If somebody really bothers to travel that mile for stuff like that, just take it as flattery and carry on with your life.

---

Now, to those nudie pics... listen up, starlets, both A-class and wannabe alike. Uncle Finny's gonna give you a free lesson.

Now, I've heard people say that these dumb folks deserve it if they have to take those shots in the first place. I mean, do you really need to take a picture of your chest to know what it looks like when you can just look down to it? Or glance in a mirror.

However, I am not saying that. The modern western society ensures us a freedom to do whatever the heck we like in the privacy of our own homes as long as we're not hurting others, so you don't need a good reason to act like that. Snap away if you get kicks of admiring your gene pool from the screen of your iPhone. However... Don't. Upload. It. To. The. Cloud. For the reasons listed above. Understand that, and learn how to turn the functionality off (which is very easy, trust me), and you greatly diminish the chances of anonymous admirers fapping away to your corporeal entity.

The Cloud is good for two things. Sharing stuff with a large amount of people, and backups. Now, as many of you have said, those pics were never meant to be seen by more people than you and possibly certain special other you share a bed with from time to time. So. If said special other needs this kind of stuff to get wood, just send 'em to him, from one personal device to another. Still not 100 percent secure, but hey, within the limits of reasonable assumption of security. If stuff leaks, at least nobody's calling you an idiot.

And as far as backups go... I don't really see how anyone would find it a huge shame to lose that particular collection if the phone just zaps. Call me old fashioned if you like, but if you really think your labia flapping in the wind would be a swell thing to show to your grandkids 30 to 40 years down the road, you need professional help. And I'm not talking of the kind people like me are able to provide.

All right. That is all. Class dismissed.

Finn said:
Call me old fashioned if you like, but if you really think your labia flapping in the wind would be a swell thing to show to your grandkids 30 to 40 years down the road, you need professional help.

:D
jennifer-lawrence-has-changed-with-fame.gif

WilliamBoyd8

So far what we have learned from the Sony hackers is that Hollywood personalities have big egos.

I am shocked SHOCKED!

:)

Turning our attention away from the feelings of celebrities...let's take time to think about the feelings...of the children:
https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/sony-hack-alex-trebek-says-maybe-time-leave-202000882-us-weekly.html

Chant along with me! "Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!"

"Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!""Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!"

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
http://gawker.com/1671454669

I think Gawker gave too much with this dispatch, showing the final(?) version of Kim Jong-un's demise in The Interview. They pretty much did what was done to Belloq to keep Raiders PG (obscure an exploding head with fire) but with the input of many more subcommittees.

Gear

featofstrength said:
Turning our attention away from the feelings of celebrities...let's take time to think about the feelings...of the children:
[...]

Chant along with me! "Everyone is special, everyone is a winner!"

I realize I don't know the whole of this story, but.. :rolleyes:

Just wait, the 'modern feminists' will start up that she was kicked off Jeopardy because she's a girl. Because ostracizing button-up shirt PATRIARCHY!!

Last edited by a moderator: