Prairie dogs - who's to blame? A great mystery - solved.

Zoetrope

Well, according to Christian Alzmann, Art Director at Industrial Light and Magic, the gophers were Spielberg's idea. Check out this interview: http://uk.dvd.ign.com/articles/925/925408p1.html

Excerpt:
IGN AU: We have to ask – who's idea was the CG hedgehog?
Christian Alzman: Oh! That was a Steven thing – just to bring in a little levity. Just when things get too serious – as Indy movies go – they throw in a laugh to relieve some tension.

So, there you go. ;)

-Jones-

Zoetrope said:
just to bring in a little levity. Just when things get too serious ? as Indy movies go ? they throw in a laugh to relieve some tension.

So Spielberg has lost his mind too... What tension? Is he ... nvm? These little creatures were unnecessary.

sandiegojones

Why is anyone surprised? These two almost share a same brain, SS is just more extroverted. Their interests are similar, SS is just a more prolific (and emotional) filmmaker.

oki9Sedo

sandiegojones said:
Why is anyone surprised? These two almost share a same brain, SS is just more extroverted. Their interests are similar, SS is just a more prolific (and emotional) filmmaker.

Well, they've both said that Lucas wanted to push the movies in new directions (1950s, aliens etc) whereas Spielberg wanted to keep it the way they were.

I think they got the balance largely right. Spielberg may have made it too much the same, whereas Lucas might have made it unrecognisable.

Kingsley

Praire Dogs werent a good addition. Not a bad one either... till we see them for a third time!

Why do we need to be relieved from tension?

agentsands77

Kingsley said:
Why do we need to be relieved from tension?
Especially since there wasn't that much of it to begin with. :gun:

Really, though, it doesn't surprise me that this was Steven's idea. While it's pretty clear he wasn't thrilled about aliens, it does seem like he was on board with the overall goofy tone of the entire enterprise. And it's not like we haven't seen Spielberg do stuff like this before (see HOOK, or scenes in THE LOST WORLD).

deckard24

I don't know I guess I'm the only one, but neither the prairie dogs nor the monkeys bothered me! The Tarzan vine swinging was unnecessary, but the monkeys and prairie dogs just felt like throwbacks to the "Heil Hitlering" monkey from Raiders!

Spielberg's idea huh? Didn't see that one coming, I guess him and George are a lot more alike then I thought!

ChromiumBlue37

What's wrong with the Prairie Dogs? They are not annoying in any way. I thought the opening was clever, and it was interesting to see the events witnessed by them as well as the audience.

Deckard

Im suprised one didn't burrow out and start dancing to the caddyshack music.

BTW Check the release of the sure to eventually come re-edited Star Wars Prequels Director's Special Redux Edition Cut that will feature Prairi Dog Jedi wielding lightsabes in the Battle of Geonosis.

Wilhelm

I like the use of the Prairie Dogs because they open and close the first 20 minutes of the movie (full circle). It's like a mini-movie.

Major West

Somebody did memo Spielberg reminding him that fanboys didn't like CG Prairie Dogs as they would ruin the entire film for them being comedic, but he laughed and said he didn't care about that minority.

loganbush

I didnt enjoy seeing an CG dog in the opening. But it was ok. I wish they would have done some of it more practical. Now we didn't need to see them 2 more times.

QBComics

Deckard said:
BTW Check the release of the sure to eventually come re-edited Star Wars Prequels Director's Special Redux Edition Cut that will feature Prairi Dog Jedi wielding lightsabes in the Battle of Geonosis.

Damn you George!

(That's actually pretty funny.)

oki9Sedo

Wilhelm said:
I like the use of the Prairie Dogs because they open and close the first 20 minutes of the movie (full circle). It's like a mini-movie.

Exactly! You beat me to it.

Many films which have a long section in a particular location have something at the very end that reminds us of the very beginning. It brings the whole section full circle and allows us to think about the whole thing.

Benraianajones

The prarie dogs don't bother me. But why do we need tension removing from the screen when all we have seen is a paramount disolve? Also, the prarie dogs didn't seem to compliment the tension anyway as the scenes they followed weren't tension paced?

And what is wrong with tension? Has Steven forgotten the scene where the "volunteer" is forced to walk through a corridor of headless bodys, whislt cowbwebs slowly lift and cut a sword in half, as well as cutting off someones head?

Major West

Benraianajones said:
And what is wrong with tension? Has Steven forgotten the scene where the "volunteer" is forced to walk through a corridor of headless bodys, whislt cowbwebs slowly lift and cut a sword in half, as well as cutting off someones head?

And are you forgetting that moment is followed by Marcus doing a bit of comedy business.