Angry Video Game Nerd - Indiana Jones edition

Cropsy

Anyone seen Angry Video Game Nerds's reviews of the games?

They are hilarious reviews of the crappy games except for SNES which was the only good Indy game around.

emtiem

I think I've seen this before, and I know he says it himself, but it's really just a load of nit-picks that sort of miss the point of Indy films. Don't look at 'em too hard; just enjoy them for what they are.

Peru1936

I particularly agree with Rolf about contemporary audiences, generally speaking, lacking imagination and being too critical. I believe that a lot of the criticism for Crystal Skull is rooted in the primary audience (ie, those who grew up with the first three) being older and more critical, lacking the joy of belief suspension (though the monkey scene is still stupid...).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm actually impressed by this, mostly on the basis of my low expectations (I actually considered posting a dismissive comment without watching the video, which I never do.) Has the Angry Nerd mellowed over time? Because while his profane blowhard schtick grated the minute it started, this video was actually quite even-handed.

And, ah, geez, I still love Mac.

And it's funny, what he says at the end almost seems like a rebuke of his own earlier stuff, or at least betrays a level of self-awareness.

James Rolfe said:
The Indiana Jones movies are all entitled to some dumb moments. They recapture the spirit of the old adventure films that came out in the Great Depression and World War II. Audiences were looking to escape the real world and forget about their troubles. And that's what movies are all about: entertainment. But today audiences are far more critical, have less imagination, and aren't as willing to suspend their disbelief. And <B>that</B> is the death of cinema.

Oh, and title edited for clarity's sake. There's a lot of Indy on Youtube.

Last edited:
He didn't "just" release this. This came out a year ago. Don't look to Youtube for your James Rolfe needs-- he has contracts with GameTrailers and SpikeTV-- he gets to post videos on his Youtube only after they've been on those other sites for a year.

Peru1936

Attila the Professor said:
I'm actually impressed by this, mostly on the basis of my low expectations (I actually considered posting a dismissive comment without watching the video, which I never do.) Has the Angry Nerd mellowed over time? Because while his profane blowhard schtick grated the minute it started, this video was actually quite even-handed.

And, ah, geez, I still love Mac.

And it's funny, what he says at the end almost seems like a rebuke of his own earlier stuff, or at least betrays a level of self-awareness.

Oh, and title edited for clarity's sake. There's a lot of Indy on Youtube.

Well, AVGN is not a schtick, it's a character that Rolf created and plays. This video is part of his Cinemassacre line of webisodes.

*The title edit is fine, though I had the intention of making this an "Indy Youtube" thread where all manner of Indy-related online videos could be shared - my mistake for not clarifying in the original post.

Peru1936

ResidentAlien said:
He didn't "just" release this. This came out a year ago. Don't look to Youtube for your James Rolfe needs-- he has contracts with GameTrailers and SpikeTV-- he gets to post videos on his Youtube only after they've been on those other sites for a year.

I wasn't aware that this was released prior, though I am aware that he consistently re-posts old videos. You're not entirely correct about his releases, though. He may have contracts that restrict his releasing of videos, but several of his film reviews, like his marathon reviews of horror films and the sort, are released independently and are uploaded on Youtube when he sees fit. His game reviews as the AVGN are advertised via his Youtube account at the same time that they're released on Game Trailers.

Speaking of which, for those who haven't seen his Indy video games review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O82pX2XQIQ

Peru1936 said:
I wasn't aware that this was released prior, though I am aware that he consistently re-posts old videos. You're not entirely correct about his releases, though. He may have contracts that restrict his releasing of videos, but several of his film reviews, like his marathon reviews of horror films and the sort, are released independently and are uploaded on Youtube when he sees fit.

Yes, but the VERY first frame in this video says Spike.com

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Peru1936 said:
Well, AVGN is not a schtick, it's a character that Rolf created and plays. This video is part of his Cinemassacre line of webisodes.

It's still a schtick. I get that it's a series, and I get that it's attention getting - but that doesn't stop me from finding it grating and idiotic. Good for him and his creativity?

Peru1936 said:
*The title edit is fine, though I had the intention of making this an "Indy Youtube" thread where all manner of Indy-related online videos could be shared - my mistake for not clarifying in the original post.

We've already got one of those. So, good idea, but searching would have been a better one.

Peru1936

It's still a schtick. I get that it's a series, and I get that it's attention getting - but that doesn't stop me from finding it grating and idiotic. Good for him and his creativity?

Fair enough. If you find the character grating, you find the character grating. I guess we all have a schtick.

We've already got one of those. So, good idea, but searching would have been a better one.

Considering the result, merging would have been an even better idea.

caats

i wanna say this was posted before. but i love that guy. also known as the angry video game nerd, he has a video where he just reviews bad Indy games. and as you can tell from the video he's obviously a big fan.

Goonie

caats said:
i wanna say this was posted before. but i love that guy. also known as the angry video game nerd, he has a video where he just reviews bad Indy games. and as you can tell from the video he's obviously a big fan.

This was just as good as the 70 min long Star Wars Episode I review on Youtube.:whip: