Which jacket should I get?

indyclone25 said:
i also live in chicago and i have been wearing mine this winter and so far it has kept my pretty warm i wear a sweater under mine and it keeps me warm , just depends on the size jacket you get to be able to put a sweater under

Glad to hear it. I graduate in 6 months... so I might get a thicker jacket for graduation. But for now, I hope this will suffice. I'll know on Monday...

Indy Byrd

I too have a Todd's Standard and I wear mine all the time. It keeps me pretty warm. My girlfriend "stole" my other leather jacket so I have to wear my Indy jacket alot (not that I care). I love my Todd's jacket more and more evry day. Thinking about actually getting another one and distressing the one I got now for adventuring.

Doesn't fit right at all. :(

Boots look great though. But I'll have to send the jacket back. And I don't think one size up is a better choice. The sleeves are already long to begin with. But the shoulders sit too far back. And if I move them up the back flares out and looks ridiculous. Alas.

I'm considering trying a Wested. If that doesn't work, I may be SOL.

Last edited:

DocWhiskey

Sorry to hear that, Res.

I guess Todd's jacket doesn't work for everyone :(

I wish you well on your quest for the perfect Indy jacket.

Good to hear the boots are nice though.

Yeah-- the whole thing just looks really weird to me anyway. I mean I know jack about clothing, but even as I pulled it out of the bag the collar looked really weird, like it was up too high. And the shoulders only got stranger when I put it on. I wonder if maybe my jacket is just a fluke... but I'm not really wanting to spend more to find out...

But the boots are just gorgeous, really. I look forward to breaking them in.

There's 2 feet of snow on the ground right now though so I'm not sure if I should wear 'em out just yet. Any suggested water-proofing or anything?

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah-- the whole thing just looks really weird to me anyway. I mean I know jack about clothing, but even as I pulled it out of the bag the collar looked really weird, like it was up too high. And the shoulders only got stranger when I put it on. I wonder if maybe my jacket is just a fluke... but I'm not really wanting to spend more to find out...

But the boots are just gorgeous, really. I look forward to breaking them in.

There's 2 feet of snow on the ground right now though so I'm not sure if I should wear 'em out just yet. Any suggested water-proofing or anything?

Actually, the screen accurate Raiders jacket IS kind of weird and poorly designed, and that's according to Tony Nowak, who was given a screen-used one to replicate. Those very imperfections are what a lot of fans love about the jacket though, and they want their own to have them, too.

I would ask Todd what he recommends about waterproofing the boots.

Jack

eazybox said:
Actually, the screen accurate Raiders jacket IS kind of weird and poorly designed, and that's according to Tony Nowak, who was given a screen-used one to replicate. Those very imperfections are what a lot of fans love about the jacket though, and they want their own to have them, too.

I would ask Todd what he recommends about waterproofing the boots.

Jack

Yeah but I see pics of other people wearing the jacket and it wears so nicely on them. It wears for **** on me. The collar too looks really bulky and makes my neck look huge. And again, the shoulder seam rests nowhere near the shoulder. Others don't seem to have that problem...

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
Yeah but I see pics of other people wearing the jacket and it wears so nicely on them. It wears for **** on me. The collar too looks really bulky and makes my neck look huge. And again, the shoulder seam rests nowhere near the shoulder. Others don't seem to have that problem...

Yes, it seems to work better for some than for others. Someone else got a Todd recently that had a similar fit to yours, and he had to return it, too. But there haven't been too many other unresolveable returns that I'm aware of.

Jack

eazybox said:
Yes, it seems to work better for some than for others. Someone else got a Todd recently that had a similar fit to yours, and he had to return it, too. But there haven't been too many other unresolveable returns that I'm aware of.

Jack

If I get a Wested, which should I go for? I'm looking only at the Raiders versions. Are they likely to fit very differently than the Todd's?

eazybox

ResidentAlien said:
If I get a Wested, which should I go for? I'm looking only at the Raiders versions. Are they likely to fit very differently than the Todd's?

Not sure, but it sounds to me as though you might require a custom job for a proper fit. My Wested is from around 1995 or so, and they've changed a lot since then. I'm not sure, for example, what the comparison would be between a Todd Standard and their off-the-rack ROLA. Maybe someone else knows.

My recommendation? Try US Wings first. May be a bit more expensive, but you'll be getting a better quality jacket that will probably last longer.;)

Jack

eazybox said:
Not sure, but it sounds to me as though you might require a custom job for a proper fit. My Wested is from around 1995 or so, and they've changed a lot since then. I'm not sure, for example, what the comparison would be between a Todd Standard and their off-the-rack ROLA. Maybe someone else knows.

My recommendation? Try US Wings first. May be a bit more expensive, but you'll be getting a better quality jacket that will probably last longer.;)

Jack

USWings is way out of the question. Poor starving college student and all...

I just looked at the Custom Wested. $260 seems reasonable. It's only $50 more than their OTR... I'm considering it...

If anyone has any other suggestions, feel free to speak up. I'm still perusing over at COW...

Yeah, the more I compare mine to others, the more mine just looks WRONG. I'm considering contacting Todd before I just send it back and see what he says...

Compare mine...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h282/TheResidentAlien/DSCN2866.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h282/TheResidentAlien/DSCN2867.jpg

To some guy's on COW...
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv304/beaverlid/fedora/DSC_0020.jpg
http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv304/beaverlid/fedora/DSC_0021.jpg

Doesn't even begin to sit similarly. The collar is by far the worst offender. Am I losing my mind here?

indyclone25

well i got my jacket back in feb. and i loved the jacket it fit pretty well and looked great , and so far theis season it has kept me really warm , i am happy with todds standard xl , but sometime somwhere the jacket wouldnt be a good fit for some people i guess it just happens tomthose few , but i glad you liked the boots i want to get the boots right after the new year , can't wait to get them .:D :whip:-----oh why i just looked at your pics of your jacket and the collar does look weird , maybe it was just a badly made jacket ?

indyclone25 said:
well i got my jacket back in feb. and i loved the jacket it fit pretty well and looked great , and so far theis season it has kept me really warm , i am happy with todds standard xl , but sometime somwhere the jacket wouldnt be a good fit for some people i guess it just happens tomthose few , but i glad you liked the boots i want to get the boots right after the new year , can't wait to get them .:D :whip:-----oh why i just looked at your pics of your jacket and the collar does look weird , maybe it was just a badly made jacket ?

My thought exactly...

Hmm... Anyone else agree? I think I'll bring it to Todd's attention...

eazybox

That collar does look way off. It might be a bad sample. I would definitely ask Todd about it; he's been known to give people free return postage for returns like this.

Jack

eazybox said:
That collar does look way off. It might be a bad sample. I would definitely ask Todd about it; he's been known to give people free return postage for returns like this.

Jack

Will do. Just took it to COW too... See what people there think.

Mickiana

I would recommend getting a Wested custom Raiders washed goat. I just got mine and it's great. I already got a Wested custom Raiders Lambskin and it's also great, but ALSO I got a Wested custom distressed Cowhide and I don't recommend it. It's not that it's a bad jacket, but the washed goat is by far the best of the three. It's colour is better even than the lambskin and it's a nice cut and not weighty (also like the lambskin). I requested a longer collar (from back to front for SA) and got it for the goat. Exactly which and how I'm going to distress I'm not sure. I will start with the distressed cowhide as it has been started by Wested. It seems as tough as nails, so practising on it will be the go. I will probably do the goat after that and leave the lambskin as a nice going out jacket.

Mickiana

Just looked at the pics and the jacket either is not the right size or cut for you or it was made incorrectly. As an Indy jacket it doesn't look great. There seems to be plenty of faults in it, as you say, with the collar, seams and the way it sits out at the back. I'd get it exchanged or refunded. Go for the refund and get a Wested.