T.E Lawrence

lairdo

Actor change

Regarding the change in actors for Lawrence, what I remember us being told on the show was that George was unhappy with the first performance. I heard this third hand, so that doesn't make it accurate. However, we were told to look at how hard it would be to replace the original actor in Egypt 1908 with the later actor. They thought they would re-shoot the close ups and digitally insert him into the original footage or on top of the long shots. I kid you not. This was going to be done for the video releases (which were anticipated that far back on LaserDisc and VHS of course). I think the logistics in doing so (not to mention probably actor union issues) shut down the idea.

But we all know what happened to the end of Return of Jedi in terms of actor swaps...

Laird

Le Saboteur

Either a thread dedicated to Lawrence of Arabia doesn't exist or I don't know how to search. Color me flummoxed. So rather than creating yet another thread nobody reads, I thought I would tag onto this one.

Opening scene from A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dFAzzEYmnm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lawrence of Arabia is one of those movies that needs to be seen in the theatre, preferably in its original 70mm format. The opening scene alone, when Lawrence appears as a dot in the distance, is worth the price of admission. For those of us for whom the desert is unfamiliar, you can grasp just how vast and inhospitable it really is.

I digress, though.

Sony Pictures Entertainment holds the rights to David Lean's masterpiece, and in anticipation of its 50th Anniversary are set to release it in theatres starting October 4th, 2012. Allegedly featuring Lean's official 227-minute Director's Cut, it has been restored to all of its original glory.

LOA_POT_OS%20color.jpg

Following the re-release, Sony will release the film in a special edition Blu-ray on the 13th of November. No tech-specs or special features have been announced yet, but I imagine that all of the ones from the two-disc DVD special edition will be brought across including the conversation with Steven Spielberg.

lawrence-of-arabia-blu-ray.jpg

500x1000px-ab6a38df_rtksx.png

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RQA_ldX0VI0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Either a thread dedicated to Lawrence of Arabia doesn't exist or I don't know how to search. Color me flummoxed. So rather than creating yet another thread nobody reads, I thought I would tag onto this one.
There doesn't seem to be a thread dedicated to the 1962 film and I share your bewilderment. (It might have something to do with the fact that T.E. is not science-fiction/fantasy/superhero genre.:p)

Also, Sab, I read everything that you post, whether I'm interested in the subject or not!:)
Le Saboteur said:
Opening scene from A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia.
I've said it before and will say it again: If you're interested in 'Awrence and his exploits, this made-for-TV movie is worth seeing and makes a perfect companion piece to the Young Indy episode of "Paris, May 1919/Winds of Change".
Le Saboteur said:
Lawrence of Arabia is one of those movies that needs to be seen in the theatre, preferably in its original 70mm format. The opening scene alone, when Lawrence appears as a dot in the distance, is worth the price of admission. For those of us for whom the desert is unfamiliar, you can grasp just how vast and inhospitable it really is.
Two points of correction, if I may, Sabbie: That's not the opening shot and it's not Lawrence. It's Omar Sharif's character, Ali, and it's about 20 minutes into the movie!:p (Trivia about that iconic shot: To emphasize Sharif's entrance, David Lean had tonnes of dark dirt poured on both sides of the frame, leaving the middle with the natural sand. The contrast in colour subtley enhanced the focal point towards the "dot in the distance".)

In 1989, when the extended version premiered in theatres, it was a big deal and an unforgettable experience so it's pretty exciting that this will be re-released cinematically again. Looking forward to the Blu-ray box. Thanks for the wonderful news, buddy!:hat:

Joe Brody

"The world looks with some awe upon a man who appears unconcernedly indifferent to home, money, comfort, rank, or even power and fame. The world feels not without a certain apprehension, that here is some one outside its jurisdiction; someone before whom its allurements may be spread in vain; some one strangely enfranchised, untamed, untrammelled by convention, moving independent of the ordinary currents of human action."

-Winston Churchill (3 October 1936); as quoted in Lawrence of Arabia: The Authorized Biography of T.E. Lawrence (1989) by Jeremy M Wilson

The Wilson book was my entry into Lawrence scholarship, and I've had this quote up in my office for twenty+ years.

Dude was a genius but a tortured soul.

T.E.Lawrence

lairdo said:
Hi all,

Great thread, and I had no idea about the Ralph Fiennes movie. I've found it on DVD for $20 and ordered it. Can't wait to see it!

I love that movie as 1962 original one. Also, because Spielberg saw Fiennes perfomance in that TV film, he decided to offer him a role of Amon Goeth in Schindler's List.

Another interesting trivia - Psychiatrist, Dr. John Mack from Harvard received Pultizer Prize for T.E. Lawrence's biography called "A Prince of Our Disorder". Dr. Mack later became famous for his work on alleged phenomena of "alien abductions".

Crack that whip

So, who else saw it on the big screen on October 4th? :D

I went to the screening mentioned on the first page, in Le Saboteur's post from July 26, and it was just magnificent. Incredibly, though I have an interest in Lawrence, this was actually my first time seeing the movie! My girlfriend and I wound up going together, to both showings, back to back - no small commitment for a 4-hour movie, but it was totally worth it.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Incredibly, though I have an interest in Lawrence, this was actually my first time seeing the movie!
What?!?:confused: Crack, I'm shocked. I'm stunned. I'm both shocked AND stunned!:eek: That said, I'm elated that you went to see it on the BIG screen because that's where this spectacle is meant to be seen!(y)

There are no female characters in the film. Did your girlfriend make any remarks about this fact? Did she like the movie, overall?

From what you know about Lawrence, how do you feel about his portrayal?

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
What?!?:confused: Crack, I'm shocked. I'm stunned. I'm both shocked AND stunned!:eek: That said, I'm elated that you went to see it on the BIG screen because that's where this spectacle is meant to be seen!(y)

There are no female characters in the film. Did your girlfriend make any remarks about this fact? Did she like the movie, overall?

Huh - I thought I'd mentioned all this stuff before.

Did she like the movie? It's her all-time favorite movie! She feels about it and Lawrence the way people here feel about Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indy.

In fact, it actually ties in to how we got together. We're both games enthusiasts - we met playing board and card games in a local gaming group, and after gaming one Saturday, we stopped to chat in the parking lot outside the restaurant where we were having our gaming meets. This was mid-2008, when I was in full Indy fever what with a brand-new movie out, and the long-awaited DVDs of Young Indy (in which we of course learned Indy and T.E. were good friends) were finally out, and our conversation turned to movies and television. Before I started going on about all things Indiana Jones, she had mentioned that she tended to love so many of those underappreciated, cancelled-before-their-times TV shows, and her favorite movie EVER was Lawrence of Arabia (through which she'd developed a strong interest in T.E. Lawrence as a historical figure, not just a movie character), and she also had a strong fondness for fictional portrayals of real-life, historical figures, such as in movies and TV shows with fictional main characters interacting in historical events with real people. I responded with something like, "have I ever got a show for you..." :D :p

I wound up showing her all of Indy's screen adventures, in (current) order, going all the way from "My First Adventure" to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and helped develop her own appreciation for the series; it naturally helped that in the Indyverse, Indy and "Ned" are good, lifelong friends. She's now seen not only all four movies multiple times each (including going to AMC's recent marathon), but every installment Young Indy at least once as well, and a few of them more than once.

And she's just as captivated by Lawrence as ever (both the movie and the man). The other Christmas my parents gave her the new Lawrence biography Hero, based on my suggestion, and she loved it.

I'd held off on watching the movie for so long in part because I knew this was one of those movies that, more than nearly anything else, really needed to be seen properly, and I didn't want my first time diminished by using a crummy VHS release on a puny TV set or whatever; I'd long hoped to be able to see it on the big screen. As fortune had it, I found out about the 50th anniversary / restoration / Blu-ray promo screening at almost the exact same time I found out about the Indy screenings (both Raiders of the Lost Ark in IMAX and the AMC marathon), and was absolutely thrilled. We wound up going to both events together and had a blast both times.

Seeing LoA on the big screen was a revelation to her. Though it's her favorite movie and she's seen it innumerable times, it's usually been on VHS, with a few times on DVD or TV broadcasts, and for that movie of all movies it's just not the same. It's such a huge, truly epic film that demands a big canvas to properly show it off, and the screening did that in spades - the new restoration is gorgeous, and the movie looked absolutely beautiful. She was utterly thrilled to catch it that way (and immensely grateful to me, since she'd probably not ever even have found out about it - she was as thrilled to see it that way as I was). In fact, we went to both showings, the 1pm and the 7pm. There aren't many four-hour epics she's willing to watch twice in a row, back-to-back, for 8+ butt-numbing hours... but this one? Oh, heck yeah - with this possibly being the last chance we'd ever have to see it on the big screen, at least for the foreseeable future, she and I both wanted to make absolutely the most of it. It simply had to be seen this way, and she wanted to do it more than once.

So, yeah, it's fair to say she liked the movie. :p

Stoo said:
From what you know about Lawrence, how do you feel about his portrayal?

I think it's awesome, even though I'm aware there are differences between the portrayal and the historical record. Of course, we're still learning new things about him, even in the last couple years, so one can't really blame David Lean & co. for a few liberties. For the most part, I think it's finer than the overwhelming majority of history-based major motion pictures are at portraying historical figures and events with some semblance of accuracy. But I'm looking forward to reading my girlfriend's copy of Hero to get a better handle on the real person.

Stoo

Crack that whip said:
Huh - I thought I'd mentioned all this stuff before.
I definitely remember you talking about showing a chick the entire Young Indy series (in this thread: Introducing someone to Young Indy...) but didn't remember that she was a T.E. Lawrence buff (nor did I think that she was the same person as your present squeeze). Sorry! However, it's nice to know that you two have finally hooked up. She sounds like a fine companion for you, Crack.:)
Crack that whip said:
She was utterly thrilled to catch it that way (and immensely grateful to me, since she'd probably not ever even have found out about it - she was as thrilled to see it that way as I was)
This is cool for several reasons; #1 - I'm glad that you finally saw the film. #2 - I'm happy to hear that your girlfriend saw her favourite film on the BIG screen and, #3 - if it wasn't for you, she wouldn't have known about the opportunity to do so!

Before the extended, theatrical release in c.1989/1990, I had only seen the original cut on VHS and watching the extended one in the cinema back then was an eye-popping experience. I can imagine it's even better with this new, restored version.
Crack that whip said:
I think it's awesome, even though I'm aware there are differences between the portrayal and the historical record. Of course, we're still learning new things about him, even in the last couple years, so one can't really blame David Lean & co. for a few liberties. For the most part, I think it's finer than the overwhelming majority of history-based major motion pictures are at portraying historical figures and events with some semblance of accuracy. But I'm looking forward to reading my girlfriend's copy of Hero to get a better handle on the real person.
I agree with you about accepting his portrayal as it is. It's not as far off as some other films about historical personalities. (Though, one of the things I wonder about is the whipping scene.:eek:)

That said, I love Jack Hawkins as General Allenby!(y)
Crack that whip said:
The other Christmas my parents gave her the new Lawrence biography Hero, based on my suggestion, and she loved it.
Gift idea for this coming Chirstmas: The movie, "A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia".;)

Last edited:

Crack that whip

Stoo said:
I definitely remember you talking about showing a chick the entire Young Indy series (in this thread: Introducing someone to Young Indy...) but didn't remember that she was a T.E. Lawrence buff (nor did I think that she was the same person as your present squeeze). Sorry! However, it's nice to know that you two have finally hooked up. She sounds like a fine companion for you, Crack.:)

She is! We were "just friends" when we met in 2008, but over time came to be a bit more than that, and we're together now.

Going back to that thread, I see (and remember) that at the time I was a bit more receptive to watching Lawrence of Arabia via the only means available then, but I do remember changing my mind, wanting to hold out for a better presentation. I recall thinking I'd be happy just to see it on Blu-ray sometime (whenever that became an option), but I'm so glad it worked out that we actually got to see it together in a theater; this movie truly requires it, at least the first couple times.

Stoo said:
This is cool for several reasons; #1 - I'm glad that you finally saw the film. #2 - I'm happy to hear that your girlfriend saw her favourite film on the BIG screen and, #3 - if it wasn't for you, she wouldn't have known about the opportunity to do so!

I'd been interested in the movie for a long time before meeting her; I just never had that perfect opportunity to watch it (after all, even putting aside the desire to see it under better viewing conditions, the movie does demand a certain time commitment...). I'd still read much about it (and a bit about the actual person, of course, in addition to picking up what I could from other portrayals and descriptions, including of course that in the Indy series), and had seen bits and pieces and was enamored of even just the idea of this movie. One might say I was in love with it from afar. I'm happy to report it did not disappoint upon getting to know it better. (y)

Stoo said:
Before the extended, theatrical release in c.1989/1990, I had only seen the original cut on VHS and watching the extended one in the cinema back then was an eye-popping experience. I can imagine it's even better with this new, restored version.

Oh, man, it was simply gorgeous. She's watched it numerous times, and seeing it this way was a revelation to her, partly because the screen size and the picture resolution were so much greater than she's used to from years of TV, VHS and DVD, but also because the new restoration is really terrific-looking. The Blu-ray is going to be a must-own item for the library (I just need more than ever to get a Blu-ray player and HDTV!).

Stoo said:
I agree with you about accepting his portrayal as it is. It's not as far off as some other films about historical personalities. (Though, one of the things I wonder about is the whipping scene.:eek:)

That said, I love Jack Hawkins as General Allenby!(y)
Gift idea for this coming Chirstmas: The movie, "A Dangerous Man: Lawrence After Arabia".;)

An excellent idea! I shall definitely consider that. Thanks! (y)

Le Saboteur

Crack that whip said:
So, who else saw it on the big screen on October 4th? :D

Not I. I missed it out of sheer forgetfulness, but did end up getting a copy of the new 8k restoration for my birthday. (Casablanca, too! I think it's my eight or ninth copy of the movie.)

Well, then.

title_lawrence_of_arabia_blu-ray_.jpg

And, with apologies to Stoo, the above is one of the first images of the movie. The scene of Omar Sharif appearing on the horizon is the scene I most associate with the film.

Rob Sabin said:
Lawrence of Arabia which had been scanned in at 8K resolution (to ensure the highest capture of detail from the film?s large-format 65mm negative) and then taken down to 4K for the workflow, was even more revealing. A close-up of Peter O?Toole?s face jumped off the screen compared with the earlier 2K master, thanks to the more detailed texture of his skin and the sharper reproduction of the layer of dust partially coating his face. A longer shot from Lawrence that was also taken in the desert showed a series of fine concentric lines near the top of the frame in a pattern reminiscent of a fingerprint. These, (Grover) Crisp explained, are cracks in the film emulsion caused by its melting in the desert heart and then healing over. The Lines have always been there in the negative and result in an unusual rippling artifact when viewing the movie, but until now there hasn?t been a way to fix it. We?ve never been able to see this kind of detail before ? it?s always been kind of submerged, he says, but now with this 8K scan it?s more obvious, Sony commissioned a third party to develop software to minimize or eliminate this distracting artifact for the restored version, which is due out on blu-ray and in theaters later this year

- Home Theater (February 2012 Vol. 19 No. 2) ?Hollywood the 4K Way? by Rob Sabin

Given the holiday commitments, I have only been able to skim a couple of my favourite scenes and concur with the above statement. Lawrence of Arabia is an absolutely gorgeous film given an unneeded, but much appreciated makeover. Just look at those screen captures!

6987_1.jpg

Has anybody else had the chance to check this out? Blu-ray.com is hailing as a contender for the greatest Blu-ray release ever. You can dig into their review over here.

lairdo

Le Saboteur said:
Has anybody else had the chance to check this out? Blu-ray.com is hailing as a contender for the greatest Blu-ray release ever. You can dig into their review over here.

I picked up the blu-ray box set, and it is great. I think this is my 3rd copy of the film on disc, but it doesn't bother me. The look is truly stunning - I've watched about 1/3rd of it on my projection system. I absolutely endorse and recommend it for anyone. The box set I got is certainly expensive, but having the book is worth it. (And my 5th copy of the soundtrack in some format or another. At least this had two tracks that were new to me.)

They are also selling just the movie alone for less than $20. This is the same packaging that is in the box set. (Basically the box set includes the Blu-ray regular release within it.)

I have also been continuing to enjoy Hero by Korda which I am finally reading. I'm about 20% through that. (Yes, reading on Kindle, so I am thinking in %s not pages.)

Happy new year everyone!

Stoo

Rob Sabin said:
A longer shot from Lawrence that was also taken in the desert showed a series of fine concentric lines near the top of the frame in a pattern reminiscent of a fingerprint. These, (Grover) Crisp explained, are cracks in the film emulsion caused by its melting in the desert heart and then healing over. The Lines have always been there in the negative and result in an unusual rippling artifact when viewing the movie, but until now there hasn?t been a way to fix it.
Hmm, I'm kinda wishing they had left that in. Regardless, this release sounds spectacular!

Glowing reviews, Le Sab & Laird, and thanks for bumping this thread.:) I want to buy the Region 1 so, while I'm on home soil, now is the perfect opportunity. My sights are set on the Boxed Edition but it's the holiday season and I've already spent whack$ of ca$h this past week buying gifts, food, etc.

Time to quote one of the greatest lines from the film:
Anthony Quinn as Auda: "The Turks pay me a golden treasure...yet I am POOR! Because...I...am a RIVER to my people!"