Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Video Games
User Name
Password

Old 06-15-2009, 06:49 PM   #26
Insomniac
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennihana123
I think Staff of Kings could have been released on the PS3/360 if they hadn't shifted all their focus on The Force Unleashed.
Yet again: Star Wars > Indy.
I do think a FoA remake could be likely.
I agree...
But sadly Star Wars is a dying art.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #27
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornconner
I can fill you in a bit on FOY.
Thanks for the info Lorn! Much appreciated...

...I watched the flash animations, played the demo, the mini game and...

...even donated a couple of days ago!

It's great to hear that all but three of those wonderful backgrounds are finished, amazing!

Can't wait!

Please tell all of the involved that there are people out there getting quite excited!

ML
martinland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #28
lornconner
IndyFan

Glad you enjoyed what you saw!

Figured I'd better amend my earlier statement, though, as I misspoke - we're missing 3 backgrounds for the INTRO to the game...not 3 backgrounds for the game in total.

We've got some good stuff in there though, and the intro is fairly long...more rooms than our demo contained, if I remember right.

Lorn
lornconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #29
Jono11
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler
LucasArts cancelled Staff of Kings to remake Monkey Island.
Why do people keep saying the game was cancelled? That's like the third or fourth time I've seen that. Did it not come out on the 9th?
Jono11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #30
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornconner
Glad you enjoyed what you saw!
[...]we're missing 3 backgrounds for the INTRO to the game...not 3 backgrounds for the game in total.[...]We've got some good stuff in there though, and the intro is fairly long
01: Yes, I really did!
10: Ooops, ouch - hmm, well, I guess wishful thinking got the better of me!
11: Can't wait!

ML
Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #31
martinland
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono11
Why do people keep saying the game was cancelled? That's like the third or fourth time I've seen that. Did it not come out on the 9th?
This is a joke right? Of course we all know that the REAL game by LucasArts w/ all bells and whistles ("Endorphine", "Digital Matter", "ILM sets & lighting", you name it) got axed after years of, well, waiting...
Old 06-19-2009, 05:42 AM   #32
The Tingler
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono11

Heh, you don't keep up with the news much do you? What platforms were missing from the line-up on the 9th? 360 and PS3. Those are the cancelled versions. Which LucasArts were making themselves, like they did with The Force Unleashed, but it didn't go along smoothly and got cancelled - now their only internally developed game seems to be this (very welcome) Monkey Island remake.
The Tingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #33
The Tingler
IndyFan

Eurogamer just posted an interview with Telltale's Dave Grossman about their new Tales of Monkey Island game, and the penultimate question may be of some interest to people here:

Quote:
Eurogamer: You mentioned Indiana Jones earlier. Is that what you want to do next?

Dave Grossman: Uh, jeez. No comment. Actually, I love Indy - I would certainly do that one. Raiders of the Lost Ark was my favourite movie for many years until Pirates of the Caribbean came along.

Hope!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #34
Trennas
IndyFan

A slight bit of hope, but hope nonetheless
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #35
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Aha! See that!? You never know! Adventure games are more popular now than they have been is some time. Indy is of course always beloved despite some of the crap that tries to undermine that.

Man this would be great. I just hope Telltale would make the tone less goofy than the other games they've done.
indyjones2131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 05:03 AM   #36
The Tingler
IndyFan

Telltale have done CSI as well, not to mention that the LucasArts adventure team were generally known for goofy stuff like Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island and Sam & Max, and they still did Indy great.

They'd be brilliant, if it happened. Although I think they'd have to do a full game, not episodic... what do you guys think?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:23 AM   #37
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Nah, episodic would be fine. Hell, Indy is based on old time serials anyway. Might work perfectly.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #38
The Tingler
IndyFan

Maybe something like Tomb of the Gods, where the story continues over five episodes with a cliffhanger at the end of each?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:40 AM   #39
Trennas
IndyFan

Might very well work. The only problem I find with episodic content is that you have to wait for new content to appear. And at the rate you are most likely to play through an episode (unless you go HL2 nuts) so quickly that you're gonna have to wait months before you're able to pick it up again. For me, this disrupts the flow of a game immensely; so I'm not a terribly big fan of this..
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #40
Rocket Surgeon

Q&A: LucasArts President Darrell Rodriguez On 2010 And Beyond

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2... nd_Beyond.php

January 28, 2010

Quote:
In 2008, Darrell Rodriguez left his job as EALA's COO and moved to the San Francisco Bay Area to become the president of LucasArts.

Since that time, there have been a lot of ups and downs at the company -- the cancellation of the overhyped next-gen Indiana Jones game; the success of Star Wars: The Force Unleashed; the rise of Lego-ization; the revival of Monkey Island under its original roof; and the quiet resumption of original IP development at the studio with the Xbox Live Arcade title Lucidity.

Is it your goal to continue to primarily work on Lucasfilm-licensed properties like Star Wars and Indiana Jones ? Or is that what you're going to do with big games, and then have XBLA be more original titles? What's the mix?

DR: We're definitely going to continue to do Star Wars and potentially Indiana Jones. We're also looking at new IP. We recently had some new IP, and we will continue on in that vein in the future.

What happened with that current-gen Indiana Jones game that never launched, and how can you make sure that these kinds of things don't happen? What processes are you putting in place to make sure that everything works out with projects like that in the future?

DR: We still believe in the Indiana Jones franchise. We did Lego Indiana Jones 1, we just released Lego Indiana Jones 2, and we'll continue to invest in the Indiana Jones franchise.
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:29 PM   #41
indyjones2131
IndyFan

Thanks for the post.

Oh and PLEASE NO MORE LEGO INDY!
Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #42
Henry
IndyFan

Talking about the future of Indiana Jones games, this site lists Staff of King on PS3 and XBox360 in 2010.

I would like to believe it was true...

http://games.gamepressure.com/game_info.asp?ID=7207
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #43
Grizzlor
IndyFan

Quote:
What happened with that current-gen Indiana Jones game that never launched, and how can you make sure that these kinds of things don't happen? What processes are you putting in place to make sure that everything works out with projects like that in the future?

DR: We still believe in the Indiana Jones franchise. We did Lego Indiana Jones 1, we just released Lego Indiana Jones 2, and we'll continue to invest in the Indiana Jones franchise.

To your question about processes, we are focused on a phased gate type of a process, where we understand a greater level of granularity as we go through the development phase, tying really closely in with publishing as well as finance, and looking at the financials as well as the game and the landscape of competition out there to make sure we're making correct decisions.
Man, talk about avoiding a question.
Grizzlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #44
lao che & sons
IndyFan

I don't see another game happening for the next 7 years or until Indy 5. but they better go all out. I'm sick and tired of slacking off to give of "the best product" expecting it to do well, it doesn't, we're taunted with what could've been, they decide not to make anymore games because the first one didn't do well well I wonder why
lao che & sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #45
Rocket Surgeon

I don't see why they won't just farm Indy out to a company that WANTS to make a game...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM   #46
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Surgeon
I don't see why they won't just farm Indy out to a company that WANTS to make a game...

b/c george Lucas obviously is associated with Lucasart etc. (I'm sure you knew that) and sense Indiana Jones is his he doesn't just want to give it off. That's my guess. I think he should though. I think they need to give Indy 2 more movies then move the series onto a reboot for someone else to make an indy film, some new director
Old 01-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #47
The Tingler
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lao che & sons
b/c george Lucas obviously is associated with Lucasart etc. (I'm sure you knew that) and sense Indiana Jones is his he doesn't just want to give it off. That's my guess. I think he should though. I think they need to give Indy 2 more movies then move the series onto a reboot for someone else to make an indy film, some new director

Not the reason at all, hence Star Wars going to every developer under the sun. Oh, and Lucas didn't direct any of the Indy films.

Quote:

It's down to money and perception. Indy games, barring the Lego ones, have never made that much money. And after the joke that was the Staff of Kings release and the general opinion on Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, compared with Uncharted 2, no one's going to take Indy seriously enough to through money at a company for a game they think won't sell or people won't care about.*

* Please note, this is my Devil's Advocate here, not my personal view on any of those subjects. For the record, I mostly enjoyed SOK and KOTCS although thought both could and should have been much, much better, and Uncharted 2 by all accounts seems to be an interactive movie - a genre without freedom of play, something I detest. Would buy it though if I had a PS3!

And Double Helix/The Collective wanted to make Indy games...
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 AM   #48
lao che & sons
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tingler
Not the reason at all, hence Star Wars going to every developer under the sun. Oh, and Lucas didn't direct any of the Indy films.

where in that quote did I say that George Lucas directed the Indy films. I know that Steven Spielberg directed them . If I didn't then I shouldn't be a steven spielberg fan ! I said that they should try finding a new director for the series just to give it a go and see what happens
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #49
Insomniac
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlor
Man, talk about avoiding a question.
I think they are avoiding the question for a reason.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #50
The Tingler
IndyFan

You know, the more I think about this the more I think it's going to happen. Monkey Island's been very successful for LucasArts, and the main thing people and critics raved about in Staff of Kings was the inclusion of Fate of Atlantis - many reviewers even said it was worth buying for that game alone.

This is the same as SEGA doing a downloadable Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - give the fans exactly what they want, and with digital sales you only have to appeal to gamers. A digital, episodic Indy game in the style of Tales of Monkey Island (one story but with cliffhangers at the end of every episode) would be very, very successful, and I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale were doing it right now.

I hope something will be announced at E3 either way. This lack of a new Indy game to look forward to is terrifying.