TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 37 56.92%
Todd's Costumes 11 16.92%
Steele and Jones 4 6.15%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 AM   #251
Major West
IndyFan

That looks very good. Awesome choice for a hero.

Surprised it's not offered as a standard as it looks like the dusty flying wing/truck chase jacket. I'm not sure it would be suitable for ToD, as I think there was a definite brown vibe to the ToD jacket. However I'm sure the ToD would look equally good.

Last edited by Major West : 06-26-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #252
Drones33
IndyFan

It's Westeds own apparently.
From what I can gather it's a bit more expensive than their standard offerings. I'm hoping they'll be prepared to do it for a loyal and regular customer like meself... We'll see.

Last edited by Drones33 : 06-26-2016 at 09:46 AM.
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #253
Major West
IndyFan

A good way to get the dusty flying wing/truck chase jacket look, without actually having to walk around with dust all over the jacket.

Maybe you could ask them as a favour, and mention the shoulder thing on the Raiders jacket. They might do it without the extra cost.

Actually I think it might work with Temple of Doom, in the daylight scenes it had a slightly grey look, although you'd need to add distressing, the scratches etc all over the jacket.

Last edited by Major West : 06-26-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #254
Glenville86
IndyFan

If I remember right, nubuck leather is suede but they use the opposite side of the leather. Only thing negative I have read is it stains very easy
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #255
InexorableTash
IndyFan

Recently added one of the branded jackets (formerly sold at the Disney parks) to my stash c/o eBay:

Not "SA", but very comfy.
InexorableTash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:10 PM   #256
Drones33
IndyFan

I don't think it's necessary to always be 100% SA. Looks a very comfy and well loved jacket.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:26 PM   #257
Major West
IndyFan

Yeah it's not bad at all. Fit and feel go a long way. The pocket flaps look better than at least one US vendor I can think of selling an 'Indy Style' jacket.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #258
Drones33
IndyFan

Temple of Doom jacket detail

Found this online. Nicely shows some of the detail and distressing of the TOD jacket.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:36 AM   #259
Major West
IndyFan

Yep, it's quite heavily distressed. I haven't added any distressing but I've been wearing it a lot. Somebody said the wested secret on the ToD jacket was it's actually a size down. So if you order a size 42" it's actual more like 41. I didn't know this beforehand and I just ordered my usual size 42 and it has the desired effect.

http://s123.photobucket.com/user/MA1...tml?sort=3&o=1

http://s123.photobucket.com/user/MA1...tml?sort=3&o=2
Old 07-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #260
Glenville86
IndyFan

I have always wondered about the different jacket colors in each movie. I have read much of what is out there. Most folks want the darkest brown for Raiders and TOD. The next 2-movies, the jackets look like a lighter brown.

I have seen shots of Raiders and TOD where the jackets really do not look as dark. Crusade and CS - medium brown.

Raiders - lamb. TOD - lamb. Crusade - lamb or cow depending on who you ask. Think lamb was the jacket in the museum but might be wrong. CS - cow/steerhide.

Thoughts? Lighting just made the jackets look darker on screen in Raiders/CS?
Old 07-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #261
Major West
IndyFan

Just looking at that picture above, with all the TOD shots. In some it looks brown, in others it looks darker. However I think in the browner shots the sun is just blasting down on the jacket more and the distressing is actually creating the effect, or creating some of the brown. Similar on the LC jacket where the distressing almost looks coppery in some shots. Yep, I think it's actually the distressing that is giving the brown feel.

Also, what's interesting is when Indy walks into the village it looks like the left pocket flap is actually torn off. Also in this picture here. No pocket flap.

Click for larger

Torn off , or tucked in somehow, but it looks too flat to be tucked in. However the flap reappears at Pankot.

Last edited by Major West : 07-03-2016 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #262
Drones33
IndyFan

I think you're right, it looks like the distressed areas have lost the sheen, allowing the brown to show through. Would be difficult to achieve I imagine.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #263
Sakis
TR.N Staff Member

I saw the film and to me it seems the flap is tucked in.
Sakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:03 AM   #264
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86

Raiders - lamb. TOD - lamb. Crusade - lamb or cow depending on who you ask. Think lamb was the jacket in the museum but might be wrong. CS - cow/steerhide.

Thoughts? Lighting just made the jackets look darker on screen in Raiders/CS?

I read on fortune and glory that Peter Botwright told somebody that Crusade was a thick veg tanned lamb. I can believe that. I've got 4 lamb jackets and each of them is ever so slightly different in weight and thickness. My ToD lamb jacket is a bit thinner than my recent Raiders custom, both 'authentic lamb' though. It crossed my mind that when ordering a wested jacket you could put in the request box a thicker or thinner bundle, depending on what you wanted. Obviously it's a request, not guarenteed.

I asked Wested about the Dark lambskin the other day and they said they are no longer using it on the Indiana Jones jackets. They said it was too thin and wasn't holding the shape of the jacket well enough. I suspected that would be the case, because if you went any thinner than the authentic lamb, I would imagine it would be a very thin and more tear prone jacket. The authentic though is quite tough. It survived a washing machine and several slashes with a swiss army knife.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:28 AM   #265
Drones33
IndyFan

A swiss army knife? Wow. I take it that was part of the distressing process?

I agree regarding the differences between batches of the same skin. I bought an OTR Raiders a while ago in authentic lamb. The idea was to see the weight and feel of the lambskin. I subsequently returned it and went for the custom Raiders instead. And the difference was instantly apparent: the OTR, though soft and light, was quite thick and almost rubbery compared to the custom.
I suppose there`s a "luck-of-the-draw" aspect that could only be avoided by visiting the Wested in person.
Ive never been but should go really, its only a few hours away.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:29 PM   #266
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
A swiss army knife? Wow. I take it that was part of the distressing process?

It was curiosity and a test. I decided to keep the jacket that went in the washing machine and use it to practise distressing on. I just did a good few 'swipes' with the knife. It cut into the leather, but not all the way through and still seemed quite strong and sturdy after. The knife could be used as a distressing technique ( I think HFs own pocket knife was used on the Raiders film jacket as part of the distressing), but I would use less force as I was deliberately stress testing the leather on this occasion. For distressing I would just use the knife to create visible scratch marks.

Your description of the OTR lamb jacket sounds similar to my OTR Crusade lamb jacket which I bought last year when I visited Wested in person. I wonder if there's some different process that the OTR jackets go through? However I just wore the Crusade jacket this week for the first time in months and it seems to have softened up considerably. Not sure how or why, but I like the effect.
Old 07-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #267
Glenville86
IndyFan

I actually get more wear out of my Wested Indy dark lambskin than the others. Most of my Indy jackets are cooler/cold weather jackets. I still have worn the dark lambskin as recently as a few days ago. It is light.

Another one I have that is similar to the Wested dark lamb is my G&B in dark lamb. It is just slightly thicker than the Wested but not by much.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:29 PM   #268
Major West
IndyFan

I find the wested authentic lamb is perfectly fine to wear in non winter conditions. Not summer, but then I would only wear a shirt in hot weather.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #269
Major West
IndyFan

Hero jacket in Heavy Duty Pre-Distressed Lambskin.

Not a screen accurate colour, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Comfortable to wear, very soft, but almost as thick as cowhide. If Indy's Raiders jacket had lasted a few more years it might have ended up looking as worn as this.

You won't know what you're getting with this skin. It looks very different to the guy on Fotune and Glory who had a hero in the same skin, his looked more yellow, mine has a slightly coppery look to it that isn't showing in the picture. Taken at night with indoor lighting.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:35 AM   #270
Drones33
IndyFan

Looks great. Nicely different. Is that your first Hero?
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 AM   #271
Major West
IndyFan

Yeah, first hero jacket. Very comfortable fit. I might have ordered the length 1/2" shorter, but it's fine as is. Will wear it in colder months, it layers well. Still prefer my recent Raiders custom, but that's because it I'm attached to it and it turned out well.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:15 PM   #272
Drones33
IndyFan

I've seen that guy's jacket over at F&G, very yellow. Nice looking texture though. I'll be very interested to see how yours looks in natural light when you get the chance.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:04 PM   #273
Major West
IndyFan

Yep, here we are:

It makes my Pre-distressed Hide jacket look quite dark by comparison.
Old 07-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #274
Major West
IndyFan

Tried to get a close up, natural light:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...psec7zxffv.jpg

The body panels are darker. The collar is a more distressed lighter colour (at the front). The texture is very similar to shrunken lamb, but the feel the different. soft, dry. Not rubbery like shrunken lamb.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #275
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Tried to get a close up, natural light:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...psec7zxffv.jpg

The body panels are darker. The collar is a more distressed lighter colour (at the front). The texture is very similar to shrunken lamb, but the feel the different. soft, dry. Not rubbery like shrunken lamb.

The more I see the pictures, the more I like the leather. Cannot justify another one. If my wife sees another jacket =