Can Shia "mutt" carry on the series by himself?

The Man

Peacock's-Eye said:
"Wank"...well, at least we know you're from the UK.

It works this way - Shia's talented & alot of us don't care if he carries on the series, because it would only be a movie, and some of have haven't forgotten how to enjoy a movie.

It they have to do a fifth, then Ford has the goods. Indy is about 57 in Skull, so he's not quite over-the-hill just yet. They'd have to hurry, though. As regards LaBeouf in sidekick mode...I wouldn't hate that, but Mother Marion would be a no-no.

UIMJ

The thing is that I look at all of these actors that are around nowadays and I think "kid" and can't relate. When I look at the movies that I grew up with, even when guys like Ford were 30 or 25 I think "adult" and I buy into it.

There aren't many actors around nowadays that I look at on screen and don't think "kid". I see Shia on screen and think he's a decent actor, but to me he fits into coming of age stories. Eagle Eye looks good, but they are marketing him in that movie as an adult working a day job. I see the trailers and I still think "kid" and don't take it seriously.

Maybe it's my own bias though because I'm 30 now myself. -shrugs-

Benraianajones

If I go to see an Indiana Jones movie, I want to see Indiana/Harrison. Mutt was fine as a sidekick, but I'd be annoyed if Mutt was the lead and Indy a sidekick. If they want Mutt to have a film - don't name it Indiana Jones at all, and do not shove Harrison in it to tag a long. That would be annoying.

Salacious

UIMJ said:
The thing is that I look at all of these actors that are around nowadays and I think "kid" and can't relate. When I look at the movies that I grew up with, even when guys like Ford were 30 or 25 I think "adult" and I buy into it.

There aren't many actors around nowadays that I look at on screen and don't think "kid". I see Shia on screen and think he's a decent actor, but to me he fits into coming of age stories. Eagle Eye looks good, but they are marketing him in that movie as an adult working a day job. I see the trailers and I still think "kid" and don't take it seriously.

You hit the nail on the head. Shia is far too young still and has that boyish look about him. I cant take him seriously in an adventure movie such as Indiana Jones. Shia was fine in Transformers because he was supposed to play a Teenager. Same in Disturbia. But for him to get into adventure serial situations ala Indiana Jones....it doesnt work. Plain and simple.

I think if Lucas and Spielberg really love Shia that much, they should give him his own series and leave Indy out of it. I wont watch it, but it seems like thats what they want. Have no reference to Indy at all in the movie. And Ford should not be a sidekick or make cameo apperances...unless I guess Ford is desperate for cash...in that case hey...go for it. I stil wont be watching so I wouldnt care in the end anyways.

Ford was the one true gem of KOTCS. He still has the gutso to play Indy and I believed for every second watching the movie that this was Indiana Jones. He can still make one or two more movies if its both done in the next 5 years and if he keeps himself in shape, which doesnt seem to be a problem.

If Lucas and Spielberg want to do whats right, they should nix Mutt and Marion and have Indy go on adventures by his lonesome again with new characters alongside of him. He can still be married, but his domestication doesnt have to follow his work/adventures per say. He just doesnt have to "cheat" on Marion, but can be tempted to...which would make for an interesting character development as an example.

Regardless, if I were Spielberg, I would make his Lincoln biopic and then make either the last or last 2 Indy movies back to back so Ford can then retire from roles like these. Then Spielberg can focus the rest of his life on doing serious dramas which he is now more suitable for.

Darth Vile

The Man said:
It they have to do a fifth, then Ford has the goods. Indy is about 57 in Skull, so he's not quite over-the-hill just yet. They'd have to hurry, though. As regards LaBeouf in sidekick mode...I wouldn't hate that, but Mother Marion would be a no-no.

I really don't think they'll do a fifth. KOTCS has done well enough, there isn't that much petrol left in the tank now so why push it?

I certainly think Shia can do leading man stuff, but I don't think the character of Mutt is strong enough to lead a movie (not unless they went left field with it). So if the character were to be used again, I think it would have to be in the context of an Indy movie.

So bottom line is I don't think we'll get either...

deckard24

UIMJ said:

Good post!

The thing is Hollywood these days is always looking for their next big thing, so they promote actors and actresses that are far too young and not yet established! Ford was 35 by the time the first Star Wars hit screens, and 39 when Raiders made its debut, unlike a guy like LaBeouf who is only 21 and is getting a similar promotion. Teens can relate, but audiences in their 30's and up can't, and the majority of the time look at him as a kid. I enjoy his work, but I always see him as a young 21 and depending on the role even younger.

I'm 29 myself so I can relate to your "bias"!

Shortie

Maybe if in 5 he shows little hints of Indy in him. Like having his jacket off when Indy does & stuff. NO HA OR WHIP for Mutt though. I think it'd be better to establish Mutt not as Indiana Jones II.

James

UIMJ said:

I know exactly what you mean, and it is funny to see how different 25-year-old actors appear today as opposed to the past. Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh were virtually the same age when they played Superman, yet Reeve just looked far more mature. (Of course, to anyone who grew up with George Reeves, he likely appeared too young!)

It's also true of actresses. The Bond 'girls' of the Connery or Moore eras all appear to be a lot more mature than the ones of recent years. The latter really do appear to be more Bond girls than Bond women!

Salacious said:
Ford was the one true gem of KOTCS. He still has the gutso to play Indy and I believed for every second watching the movie that this was Indiana Jones. He can still make one or two more movies if its both done in the next 5 years and if he keeps himself in shape, which doesnt seem to be a problem.

I thought Ford did a fantastic job- even selling the stuff that read goofy on paper ("Say grab the rope!").

He's clearly fit for at least one more adventure- and two if they decide to do them within the next five years. Shia has downplayed any ideas of Mutt taking over, repeatedly saying that it's Ford's show all the way. Meanwhile, Ford has made it clear that if Spielberg wants another, "I would make myself available".

IndyJr.

Whipper said:
The series is entitled Indiana Jones. Long as that's so, they're all about Indy. Mutt Williams doesn't get to Become Indiana Jones, any more than Indy could put on a tweed hat and become His father.

You know, I'm REALLY fed up and sick and tired of seeing this SAME comment a billion times over. Especially when it's in response to "I'd like to see him in "Mutt Jones and the ...."

Then they come back with "It's titled "Indiana Jones" not "Mutt Jones" you brain dead monkey! :rolleyes: "

It's really a disappointment the lack of ability to read comments instead of just posting them.

I'd hate to see him carry on as main lead in an Indiana Jones film... but a Mutt Jones film would be quite different.

Crusade>Raiders

^Yeah, it would suck donkey ****s.

Anyway, Shia got the same problem Leo DiCapario has/had: he looks like a little boy. Now, Leo might have gotten rid of the problem cuz he looks like an adult in Blood Diamond and The Departed(two great movies, by the way), plus he's a really good ****ing actor too, but in movies like Titanic...he looks like a 17-year old. Maybe Shia will grow out of this Even Stevens look, but until then, don't headline any Indiana Jones/Mutt Williams films.

Cagefighterkip

i liked mutt in the flick a lot, but giving him his own movie would be like giving short round or sallah their own movies... good sidekicks but wouldnt work single handed yknow?

muttjones

My idea is to have Indy 5 the final for harrison.

In this one the main story (love interest etc.) would be focused on mutt jones but indy would save the day in the end.

And a lot of people have been saying that mutt does have the charm or charisma that indy does but i bet indy wasn't to good with the ladies when he was 18 compared to now.

I in fact think its mutt's strong point as a character. He could be frightened of women and is not very good at picking up but through the film he slowly shows that he is more and more like his father and in the end he gets the girl.

nitzsche

There is no question that Shia has the ability to carry a lead role in a film. He has a screen presence that blows away his contemporaries.

The question is this: Would Mutt Williams (will he take the name Jones?) be involved in the same type of archaeology adventures as Indy? Or would he get involved in other types of adventures?

Raiders90

nitzsche said:
There is no question that Shia has the ability to carry a lead role in a film. He has a screen presence that blows away his contemporaries.

The question is this: Would Mutt Williams (will he take the name Jones?) be involved in the same type of archaeology adventures as Indy? Or would he get involved in other types of adventures?
It'd be kind of stupid to see a Greaser archaeologist.
And I think Shia is still too ''boyish'' to handle a lead role. He needs to man up a little, and act a little more gruff and less like the boy next door.
That's the problem with Hollywood's leading men: They're too clean and pretty-boyish (ala Brad Pitt and Orlando Bloom.) The only actor who captures the grit of the circa '30s-40s leading man is Johnny Depp.

nevsky41

Before seeing KOTCS, I was apathetic towards the Mutt character. I always suspected he was Indy's son, even before the movie opened. After Lucas's ludicrous notion to make Mutt the lead for IJ5, and Indy be the tagalong, I really started hating Mutt, probably not justifiably (but I also hadn't yet seen the movie). Having now seen the movie, Mutt is alright, he did do most of the action in the jungle chase, but that was fine. But overall, he's not that interesting, and although I'm fine with Shia, he doesn't make me care about the character any more, and it would be a huge mistake to switch roles for IJ.5. Actually, I think KOTCS would be a fine end to the series, although I am convinced that Ford could do another film, b/c he was awesome in KOTCS. I know Lucas has a penchant for doing whatever he wants, and telling the fans to stick it, but I think Speilberg is a little smarter, and has reacted better to fans' reactions in the past than Lucas. So overall, I think if they do a 5th film, if it's got INDIANA JONES on the marquee, Mutt should NOT be the lead.

Darth Vile

I really don't believe that Harrison Ford would sign up for another Indy movie where he was a guesting in his own franchize. If there is another Indy movie in the next couple of years, I'd imagine it would be Harrison and Shia together... but I can also see a Mutt Williams movie with Indy featuring (although like others I'm not sure the Mutt character is interesting enough).