Little things that make KOTCS awesome....

Cole

Darth Vile said:
As far as your comments about lack of music and the sound of the waterfall? You are bang on. You should be able to hear that sound prominently. But for me, the increasing sound/volume of the waterfall should then give way (once the peril has been established) to a typical Williams tension cue. The lack of music, IMHO, is further evidence to suggest ?tension? was not Spielberg?s intent at this point (misplaced or not), but rather, as already mentioned, simply a fun bridging scene.
I agree.......if it is an action scene that at least has some length and momentum.

The waterfall isn't like that. It's just a quick drop.

kongisking

The usage of the old-style Paramount logo. I could just kiss Spielberg for this alone. I had tears in my eyes when I saw this. Proof that the Berg really does care about us! THANK YOU, STEVEN!

indyartist

little moment after Spalko slaps Indy a couple times and Indy says a delayed "ouch" softly with humor while looking at Mac.

The Drifter

kongisking said:
The usage of the old-style Paramount logo. I could just kiss Spielberg for this alone. I had tears in my eyes when I saw this. Proof that the Berg really does care about us! THANK YOU, STEVEN!

I must agree.
That was a nice treat. I smiled when I first seen it.

YouNeverKnow

I'll bite.

- Indy's face as Spalko drools over the crystal skeletons
- Mutt's bike
- The way the camera moves behind that parking-meter-ish thing when Indy and Mutt are talking about being nice your mother.
- The way Indy hoists himself up into the rafters after narrowly avoiding the car crash.
- The small Roswell backstory Indy tells the feds.
- Indy's library.
- The way Indy's incredulity ("Come on!") fades to pure curiosity as Spalko uncovers the remains. LOVE his expression here. It's like he can't resist.
- When Indy puts his gray hat on one of the letterman guys.
- The way all 5 characters look up in a line on the spiral staircase trap (y)
- The sound effects of the final Dovchenko fight. They seem to make it the most brutal of the Indy fights. Such wet, hard thuds.

Jack Nelligan

I liked:

Cate Blanchett in the black wig! Nice!;) (y)

Mutt's bike, even though you could see the disk breaks...oops!

Indy punching Mack in the nose after telling him that he would break his nose.

When Mutt said, "your a teacher?"

Area 51

the hta swipe after the wedding...as if to say, "I ain't done yet!" :whip:

Agent Z

YouNeverKnow said:
- The sound effects of the final Dovchenko fight. They seem to make it the most brutal of the Indy fights. Such wet, hard thuds.

A little experiment...

Remember the special features/behind the scenes on the dvd where they have Harrison and Igor shooting their final fight and missing each other comfortably with their punches, as to be expected?

Well, go watch their end fight, in the finished film, but with the volume on mute. Nowyou can get more of a feel for how those punches are not really connecting on their targets. The great sounds of the fighting definitely sell the illusion, much more than I thought they would.

James

Wilhelm said:
I think the equivalent of the cliff / waterfall sequences in style are the escape from the zeppelin / biplane / tunnel sequeces in LC. More humour than serious action. Williams' music is also absent in those LC scenes.

This is how I've always viewed the waterfall scene. I'm not even sure that brief sequence had as much 'action' potential as some fans claim. Even if they had played it for suspense, it would've likely been criticized as too cliche. (Or something that had been employed to better effect in TOD.)

There may be zero tension or danger in the scene, but it's certainly not the first time that has happened in the series. As you pointed out, the lengthy escape in LC is essentially one cheap gag after the next. (I actually think both the Waterfall and Akator Chase is meant to be cut from that same cloth in KOTCS.)

Spielberg, Lucas, and even Ford have always viewed the character of Indiana Jones as someone who is constantly in over his head. They don't really share the "Indy as Badass" interpretation of many fans that grew up with the character. Instead, their concept is the guy who simply runs from the Hovitos, has to cheat to win a fight, and is often saved by blind, dumb luck. Indy's actions during the KOTCS finale are entirely consistent with this portrayal.

avidfilmbuff

James said:
Spielberg, Lucas, and even Ford have always viewed the character of Indiana Jones as someone who is constantly in over his head. They don't really share the "Indy as Badass" interpretation of many fans that grew up with the character. Instead, their concept is the guy who simply runs from the Hovitos, has to cheat to win a fight, and is often saved by blind, dumb luck. Indy's actions during the KOTCS finale are entirely consistent with this portrayal.

That's an interesting way to put it. That description is very similar to the way Buster Keaton is portrayed in his films.

Jack Nelligan

avidfilmbuff said:
That's an interesting way to put it. That description is very similar to the way Buster Keaton is portrayed in his films.

I have always looked at Indy as a regular guy in extraordinary circumstances, who because mostly of his intellect, not his brawn, is able to survive these adventures by the skin of his teeth. Call it luck, fate, or whatever you want to call it. Also, like Indy, I was not aware that there were any rules when it comes to fighting for your life! ;)

Meerkat

The one thing I liked best was Mutt combing his hair when Spalko put her sword to his throat. It was as if he was saying, 'hey, let me comb my hair before I die!'

guag

I really loved Indy's reaction when he sees Marion again for the first time at the camp... the way he has the most giddy schoolboy smile on his face while shrugging his shoulders so excitedly. :D :D

Cole

guag said:
I really loved Indy's reaction when he sees Marion again for the first time at the camp... the way he has the most giddy schoolboy smile on his face while shrugging his shoulders so excitedly. :D :D
Same. The whole theater laughed at this part on opening night.

kongisking

Some more little things that prove all Anti-KOTCSers wrong:

Mac echoing Mutt, saying "Mom, slow down!"

* Mac line to Spalko: "Do I go, or should we all just sing a song?"

* Indy's grin of defiance when Spalko offers to shake in front of the Hangar 51 doors.:p

* Indy's second-long delay before running off into the crates, after discharging the rifle. :gun: You can tell he was amazed at his own luck, before snapping out of it.

* Dovchenko, in a neat mirror of the moment in Hangar 51 where Indy throws Dov his cap back after holding gunpowder in it, tossing back Indy's fedora in the Russian camp, as if to say, "What goes around, comes around, comrade!"

* The look of impressed amazement on that one KGB agent's face after witnessing Indy crawl onto the back of Mutt's motorcycle out of the sedan's window.

* The nerdy kid in the library's close-up. I die laughing every time I see his face. WILHELM SCREAM!!! :eek:

* The Chauchilla Cemetery warrior turning chicken-sh*t upon seeing Indy's pistol pointed at him. Smart move, fella! :dead:

* Spalko putting her hands on Indy's legs while telling him that the skull wasn't made by "human hands." Someone has a secret cru-u-u-sh...* (*imagine being said in a sing-song voice)

How many times must I say it? KOTCS is a fantastic load of fun! :cool:

Team Indy

indyrcks said:
Where there little throwbacks to the original movies in Kingdom :whip: :confused:

Yeah...

For starters, Marion came back, and their relationship was exactly how they left it twenty years ago.

It would've been nice if Marion said, "Listen, Mac, if you try any moves on me..." and George said, "...That's my name. Mac. George 'Mac'Hale," but time was limited.

Marion constantly screaming for Indy and trying to persuade Indy to snap out of any stupidity Indy was having.

Marion's overall awesomeness. She didn't age a day from the 1930s.

Indiana Jones's character wasn't ruined. It was exactly the same as in the original trilogy, except he's much older, beaten, and weathered.

I think the entire movie was a throwback to the original trilogy because the movie played out like the final installment in an epic adventure.

indyrcks

What about when Mutt and Indy were on the motorbike and Indy gave Mutt a sign of disapproval that what exactly like Indy and his father in the Last Crusade do you think so:whip:

Meerkat

kongisking said:
* Spalko putting her hands on Indy's legs while telling him that the skull wasn't made by "human hands." Someone has a secret cru-u-u-sh...* (*imagine being said in a sing-song voice)\
Darn it, I was going to say that!
The scene was a complete and epic win. I've got a picture of it on my desktop...:eek:

kongisking

Meerkat said:
Darn it, I was going to say that!
The scene was a complete and epic win. I've got a picture of it on my desktop...:eek:

Ya know what...I like you. You're cool in my book, Kat.