TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Beyond the Films > Indy Gear and Props
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: What Indy jacket do you own?
Wested 35 55.56%
Todd's Costumes 11 17.46%
Steele and Jones 4 6.35%
Bill Kelso 0 0%
Other (post about it below) 13 20.63%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-28-2018, 06:58 AM   #551
Glenville86
IndyFan

My last Wested jacket in shrunken lamb was a bust...…

The jacket lining was sticking out over an inch on the sleeves and bottom of the jacket. There was something else but cannot remember what. Gave it to a co-worker.

I did like the leather.
Glenville86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:16 PM   #552
emtiem
IndyFan

Did your Shrunken Lamb look like the image of the Skyfall on the previous page?
emtiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #553
Major West
IndyFan

Temple of Doom is the jacket you want for a more fitted look.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM   #554
Drones33
IndyFan

[quote=emtiem]I'm curious: has anyone gone for a Wested Skyfall? I rather like the idea of what looks like a slightly more fitted Indy-ish style jacket.
It looks great here in Shrunken Lamb:

My Wested Skyfall in shrunken lamb. Nice jacket, very slim fit though...
Drones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 AM   #555
Drones33
IndyFan

And the pockets are so small as to be all but useless, so I would advise opting for an extra inside pocket.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #556
emtiem
IndyFan

Lovely; thank you for the reply- looks great!
Old 06-01-2018, 04:43 AM   #557
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtiem
Did your Shrunken Lamb look like the image of the Skyfall on the previous page?

Leather looks like Drones jacket. About 80% of the Wested jackets I have owned were really well made. It is the 20% that bugged me. A couple custom jackets and a few Indy ones were off in some ways. Still have plenty of them though.

Since getting a few BK and S&J jackets, Wested has moved into 3rd place but is still a good option for the price.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:37 AM   #558
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenville86
My last Wested jacket in shrunken lamb was a bust...…

The jacket lining was sticking out over an inch on the sleeves and bottom of the jacket. There was something else but cannot remember what. Gave it to a co-worker.

I did like the leather.

I don't suppose you photographed the Shrunken Lamb Hero LC before you parted with it? Would have been curious to see the Hero LC pattern in that leather.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:38 AM   #559
Glenville86
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
I don't suppose you photographed the Shrunken Lamb Hero LC before you parted with it? Would have been curious to see the Hero LC pattern in that leather.

Did not.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:13 PM   #560
j_3_h
IndyFan

Greetings!
I just joined up with this forum (after lurking for a bit) because I am about to purchase my first leather jacket and would like to pick your brains a little.

I’m not looking for the exact 100% screen accurate in every way jacket, but rather a really nice leather coat that is in the Indiana Jones style.

I’m pretty much settled on going for a Wested and leaning heavily towards a Raiders version. I’m also pretty much settled on wanting it in a distressed skin, but here’s where my questions come in;

What are the reasons that a Last Crusade version might be a better choice over a Raiders style?

What are the ins and outs of choosing distressed Lamb over distressed Cow hide? (I really like the worn/vintage look opposed to new and shiny which is why I want to go with pre-distressed...unless someone can suggest another alternative?)

If I do want to darken the jacket, does pecards work on Lamb? And when people refer to the “Pecards treatment” do they mean the pecard product with the brown tint or just the standard tub?

What exactly is “the shower trick” when it comes to these jackets ( and does it work for any type of skin )?

Thanks for any input you guys can offer.
j_3_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:34 AM   #561
Drones33
IndyFan

Hi,
To touch on a few of your questions;
The standard, off the rail Raiders jacket from Wested is a great one, and apparently their best seller (according to the Wested site) so that's a good choice for a first Indy jacket I think.
Im not sure the Last Crusade is better, just different. Slightly bigger arm holes, ideal for the larger gentleman, and sloping shoulders give the jacket a looser, more slouchy feel in my opinion. It has a pointier collar than the Raiders and the adjustable straps are a little lower, and of course it has press studs on the storm flap. Ive found the Raiders has a more fitted look.
I think the distressed lamb is a beautiful looking skin, can be quite inconsistent in colour though. Ive seen some that are a rusty brown, but ive also seen some that look positively yellow-ish. The pre distressed hide tends to be a bit more consistent in colour, darkens nicely with a bit of the standard Pecards, responds well to the shower treatment, and ages really well.
The shower treatment. Fully zip up the jacket, hang it in the shower and wet it evenly all over, then simply wear it until it dries, preferably outside but not in direct sunlight. This causes the leather to quickly conform to the shape of the wearer and gives a well-worn look in just a couple of hours without any damage to the jacket. Ive done it many times to different jackets over the years, works great Ive found. (Check out some of my posts on this thread)
As an alternative, might be worth considering dark brown novapelle. Achieves a nice, worn-in look fairly quickly.
Hope this is helpful.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:26 AM   #562
j_3_h
IndyFan

Thanks for the reply Drones33

Your post is extremely helpful and you have given me a bit more to think about concerning the skin. I would like to be able to wear the jacket for as long and as often as possible, so I think I would prefer it to be on the lighter side but able to have layers under it for winter. How much heavier is cow over lamb? A yellow-ish Lamb would be disappointing, so that is a concern. Does Pecards work on Lamb too, or is it just for cow hide?

Thanks again!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:53 AM   #563
Drones33
IndyFan

The Pecards does indeed work on the distressed lamb in that it darkens it down a little, from what Ive seen. I don't own a jacket in that skin but check out Major West`s posts on this thread. He owns a ToD in distressed lamb, I think, and that's a beauty, if a little pale in colour.
It works on the standard lambskin too, in that it will help water proof and protect the leather, doesn't really darken it though.
As for the difference between the two, Ive found the standard lambskin to be fairly lightweight, depending on Westeds current batch, and very soft with quite a distinct shine when new, and an even colour. The pre distressed cow has a slightly paler colour, is heavier (which helps it drape beautifully in it opinion) and has a generally more rugged look. Ages really well and breaks-in fairly quickly. Again, there are some great examples of these skins on this thread.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 AM   #564
Major West
IndyFan

Good advice.

In terms of the look/colour of the leather I would favour pre-distressed cow, but it will be a bit heavier then pre-distressed lamb. If you want to be able to layer the jacket I would also suggest going up a size.

However the skin you might be looking for is Shrunken Lamb. It gives a vintage age to the jacket without being 'distressed' so to speak. It could also the weight of jacket you want.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #565
j_3_h
IndyFan

Thanks guys, you’ve given me a bit more to think about

Does Wested run any coupon codes or sales that I should keep an eye out or wait for?
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #566
j_3_h
IndyFan

Also, I see in the customs selections that Wested recommends a cotton body and satin sleeves for the lining...does anyone have any strong opinions about the lining materials? I read (I think in this thread) that one should go for all cotton since the satin in the sleeves always goes first and needs repairs in time.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 AM   #567
Drones33
IndyFan

Personally I prefer the cotton body with satin sleeves. I find the cotton sleeves a bit warm, and they tend to cling to the sleeves of whichever shirt or jumper I’m wearing. Bit more freedom of movement with the satin, and I’ve not had any wear out yet. Definitely cotton body though I reckon.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #568
Major West
IndyFan

I favour satin sleeves too. The jacket slides on and off much more conveniently.
Personal choice of course.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:43 AM   #569
Drones33
IndyFan

Wested LC vs. Steele and Jones Raiders

Wested LC on the left, S&J Raiders on the right.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:30 AM   #571
emtiem
IndyFan

I think that looks very handsome indeed.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:32 AM   #572
emtiem
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drones33
Wested LC on the left, S&J Raiders on the right.

Is that your Novapelle one? It's looking lovely; nice variation to the tones.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #573
Drones33
IndyFan

Yup, novapelle LC. Great hide, ages really well.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #574
Major West
IndyFan

Nice jackets all. So tempted to get a Steel and Jones soon. Oddly I was attracted to their Crystal Skull jacket. I would probably get a Raiders or LC though.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:31 AM   #575
j_3_h
IndyFan

I just wanted to say thanks for the help and patience with my newbie questions.
I just placed my order with Wested for my first jacket, a custom Raiders in pre-distressed hide....now the wait