Whats up with the cutesy animals?

movieguy23

What was the point of having the CGI mole and monkeys? Why do all of GL's movies lately have to have cutesy creatures like ewoks?

Salacious

Lucas and Spielberg are older. They are trying to impress and make their grandkids laugh. So those are kiddy moments.

What can you do....they have just lost their "gritty" touch with life. Its more about family and children to them now as they get older, and unfortunately, it has affected their filmaking.

michael

Salacious said:
Lucas and Spielberg are older. They are trying to impress and make their grandkids laugh. So those are kiddy moments.

What can you do....they have just lost their "gritty" touch with life. Its more about family and children to them now as they get older, and unfortunately, it has affected their filmaking.

I don't know, I was a kid when I saw the first three and I really loved what they were all about. The first three didn't have anything cheesy! Maybe...maybe the dinner scene in Temple of Doom, but not the type of cheese that is in Kingdom. But don't get me wrong, I really liked Kingdom, I need to see it again though.

Way of the dodo

Yeah, I guess maybe really little kids like that stuff, although I think Lucas does it more to pander to annoying soccer moms who insist their precious children never watch anything too heavy. After all, they're the ones who spend the most money on dvds and merchandising.

MolaRam2

Well Spielberg changed the guns to walkie talkies in E.T. so he tries to please the soccer moms more than Lucas does. Spielberg's special edition of Star Wars would have had all blasters replaced with walkie talkies. At least Lucas displayed some balls with Revenge of the Sith, Anakin's limbs being hacked of wasn't sugar coated, and that scene afterwards on the operating table wasn't sugar coated either. Lucas admitted to making a darker and less kid friendly film with Sith, and IMO it is his only success post Last Crusade. Lucas needs to go dark more.

Spielberg should just avoid making family films from now on, he has obviously lost the talent for them that he had in the 70s and 80s. Part of that talent was lost because he is so PC (E.T. Special edition) now. He should just stick to historical dramas.

Junior Jones

My guess is that the next wave of KOTCS merchandise will include little stuffed gophers and monkeys. I want one.

sandiegojones

If you want what I think is the real answer I'd say that both have become such huge liberals (especially Spielberg) that they are overly politically correct and are afraid to even be realistic anymore. They have to please, but not offend which usually = tame action. Evidence of this is in Star Wars when Greedo now shoots first and in ET with the guns replaces by walkie talkies. You can see how they back off on stuff the older they get.

This certainly explains why Indy doesn't fire his gun and why the violence is tame in KOTCS. I almost bet the jungle cutter was meant to play a part in some grusome action and Spielberg nixed that but Lucas liked the idea so much they still kept it in briefly. From what I've read Ford and Spielberg approved Lucas' and Nathanson's story and Spielberg worked with Koepp on the script. I really think it's more SS than GL.

MaxPhactor23

sandiegojones said:
If you want what I think is the real answer I'd say that both have become such huge liberals (especially Spielberg) that they are overly politically correct and are afraid to even be realistic anymore. They have to please, but not offend which usually = tame action. Evidence of this is in Star Wars when Greedo now shoots first and in ET with the guns replaces by walkie talkies. You can see how they back off on stuff the older they get.

This certainly explains why Indy doesn't fire his gun and why the violence is tame in KOTCS. I almost bet the jungle cutter was meant to play a part in some grusome action and Spielberg nixed that but Lucas liked the idea so much they still kept it in briefly. From what I've read Ford and Spielberg approved Lucas' and Nathanson's story and Spielberg worked with Koepp on the script. I really think it's more SS than GL.

I'd agree with that. It's Steven toning stuff down, it's George writing poorly (in my opinion). Together it makes a sub par movie as far as I'm concerned. Pity they've changed so much.

deckard24

sandiegojones said:

I think you could be right! They both have mellowed out a lot, and tend to be more PC as they get older. But, Spielberg still seems able to show violence in a gruesome way in films like War of the Worlds and Munich, as well as Lucas not holding back in Revenge of the Sith with Anakin's burning and limb losing sequence. I don't know what gives? They flip flop back and forth! Even in LC the tamest of the original 3 films, there was Indy blowing away several Nazis in the Castle Brunwald, Indy taking out 3 more in a gruesome shot with a Luger, Henry Sr. taking out a whole truck load of Nazis with a machine gun, and "volunteers ;) " losing their heads! For some reason they chose to go really soft with KOTCS, with the exception of the soldiers getting roasted by the rocket sled and the cemetary warrior choking on his own blow dart!

nezobiwan

sandiegojones said:
This certainly explains why Indy doesn't fire his gun and why the violence is tame in KOTCS.
Maybe I'm just daft... but I don't really remember Indy firing his gun in Temple of Doom ... maybe it's just a mental block? Can someone step in and prove me right or wrong with certainty? :confused:

MaxPhactor23

nezobiwan said:
Maybe I'm just daft... but I don't really remember Indy firing his gun in Temple of Doom ... maybe it's just a mental block? Can someone step in and prove me right or wrong with certainty? :confused:

He does during the opening sequence. Kills a guy or two in the process. He loses his gun early on though and never gets it back. However, Temple of Doom more then makes up for the lack of gunplay with a ton more fist fights and gore. The same can?t be said for Crystal Skull.

MolaRam2

deckard24 said:
I think you could be right! They both have mellowed out a lot, and tend to be more PC as they get older. But, Spielberg still seems able to show violence in a gruesome way in films like War of the Worlds and Munich, as well as Lucas not holding back in Revenge of the Sith with Anakin's burning and limb losing sequence. I don't know what gives? They flip flop back and forth! Even in LC the tamest of the original 3 films, there was Indy blowing away several Nazis in the Castle Brunwald, Indy taking out 3 more in a gruesome shot with a Luger, Henry Sr. taking out a whole truck load of Nazis with a machine gun, and "volunteers ;) " losing their heads! For some reason they chose to go really soft with KOTCS, with the exception of the soldiers getting roasted by the rocket sled and the cemetary warrior choking on his own blow dart!

War of the Worlds and Munich weren't aimed at the family audience, and because of that Spielberg was more comforatable with gruesome violence in those flms.

BTW, Spielberg shouldn't say he is making a film for the fans, when he is making a really soft film. He should know by now that fans aren't too keen on really soft films in franchises that were previously not so soft.

nezobiwan

MaxPhactor23 said:
He does during the opening sequence. Kills a guy or two in the process. He loses his gun early on though and never gets it back. However, Temple of Doom more then makes up for the lack of gunplay with a ton more fist fights and gore. The same can?t be said for Crystal Skull.
Oh! That's right... I was only thinking of the main story in India. Totally forgot about China. Thanks.

Marion Fan

Oh they are definately aware of what the parents may complain about with these films. Yes, it is partly because they have kids themselves I agree. I think it has to do more with both of them being under fire after TOD came out. A lot of people did not like the heart getting ripped out of the chest scenes and the very dark nature of TOD overall at that time. A lot little kids went to see that movie thinking it would be like Raiders. I think Raiders was pushing the edge of PG at that time. But TOD directly started the PG-13 campaign along with Gremlins and probably some material in other PG films at the time.

I think they just back away from that stuff as a result. That is why they are making Greedo shoot Han first (or now it's tied?) and taking guns out of the hands of the government in E.T. Even Spalko's death at the end is pretty tame. I think part of that is because it's a woman getting killed to. They wanted to tone that down as well.

They did hack the limbs off of Anakin but had to make a PG-13 movie as a result. I guess they feel some moments need to be toned down in Star Wars and E.T. because so many young kids watch those films. Let's face it they are under more scrutiny because they are Lucas and Spielberg. They are held to a different type of standard compared to less profile directors. So, they want to be totally P.C. now and pretty much have to be or every group will be all over their butts. It's actually a smart move on their part overall if you think it through. It sucks for us because we don't get the grit now like we did back in the day.

Hell even the Russians were whining about this movie the way they were portrayed. So, no matter what they do these guys are screwed. But they know they can get more money if the film is watcheable by any age group so they tone it down a bit.

Crack that whip

MolaRam2 said:
War of the Worlds and Munich weren't aimed at the family audience, and because of that Spielberg was more comforatable with gruesome violence in those flms.

BTW, Spielberg shouldn't say he is making a film for the fans, when he is making a really soft film. He should know by now that fans aren't too keen on really soft films in franchises that were previously not so soft.

Except that it's not a "really soft" movie. Honestly, having multiple people devoured by ants is as horrific as nearly anything in any of the originals, and that's not even all that happens (putting entirely aside this bizarre notion that the worthiness of an Indy movie hinges entirely upon how gory and gruesome it is, and not upon the overall story and characterization, which is what Spielberg probably thinks most fans care about).

MolaRam2

Marion Fan said:
Oh they are definately aware of what the parents may complain about with these films. Yes, it is partly because they have kids themselves I agree. I think it has to do more with both of them being under fire after TOD came out. A lot of people did not like the heart getting ripped out of the chest scenes and the very dark nature of TOD overall at that time. A lot little kids went to see that movie thinking it would be like Raiders. I think Raiders was pushing the edge of PG at that time. But TOD directly started the PG-13 campaign along with Gremlins and probably some material in other PG films at the time.

I think they just back away from that stuff as a result. That is why they are making Greedo shoot Han first (or now it's tied?) and taking guns out of the hands of the government in E.T. Even Spalko's death at the end is pretty tame. I think part of that is because it's a woman getting killed to. They wanted to tone that down as well.

They did hack the limbs off of Anakin but had to make a PG-13 movie as a result. I guess they feel some moments need to be toned down in Star Wars and E.T. because so many young kids watch those films. Let's face it they are under more scrutiny because they are Lucas and Spielberg. They are held to a different type of standard compared to less profile directors. So, they want to be totally P.C. now and pretty much have to be or every group will be all over their butts. It's actually a smart move on their part overall if you think it through. It sucks for us because we don't get the grit now like we did back in the day.

Hell even the Russians were whining about this movie the way they were portrayed. So, no matter what they do these guys are screwed. But they know they can get more money if the film is watcheable by any age group so they tone it down a bit.

The Pirates of the Caribbean films are released by Disney and they are far more gruesome than KOTCS. Disney has to live up to an image of making movies suitable for the whole family and they had no problem with a guy getting suffocated with one of Davy Jones' tentacles or someone's heart being ripped out (but in a much tamer way than ToD) in At World's End.