What's your favorite film location used in the 4 Indy films ?

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
The Tanis Digs at Nefta.

The flies, the heat, and everything that discomfort brings to the performances.

It's the classic image of a massive archaeological dig. And contains the sunset silhouette, probably my favorite image from all the films.

Also love the Hawaiian jungle, the Tunisian Cairo market, the Indian village both before and after (crowd pressing in early on, and celebrating at the end), and the Canyon of the Crescent Moon and Petra treasury. I even like the market scene in CS. :eek:

Montana Smith

Patan, Nepal.

It's even more evocative in Campbell Black's writing. The journey from the airport in a wild and lonely land to the snowy village, trailed by shadowy Gestapo agents.

TheRavenOutside.jpg

Snowy isolation. It's why I like John Carpenter's The Thing.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
Snowy isolation.
Yeah, in well-produced fiction it is always a fascinating setting.

But then, there's suddenly far greater variance in fascination when you get to actually live in the thing...

Stoo

BDuncan said:
What's your favorite film location used in the 4 Indy films made so far and please say why.
My favourite is the natural pool with the waterfall at the very beginning of "Raiders", when Harrison's face is finally shown.

Why? Because the lush atmosphere is so wonderfully beautiful and it reminds me of my favourite place in the whole world - my secret, 'swimming hole' near my family's cottage in Quebec.
Paley said:
And the Shinning?
Smiffy said:
Yes, especially the Shining!
By pure accident last summer, I was at the hotel that inspired Stephen King (Estes Park in Colorado). It might get snowy there but it surely ain't remote!:p
Finn said:
Yeah, in well-produced fiction it is always a fascinating setting.

But then, there's suddenly far greater variance in fascination when you get to actually live in the thing...
Agreed. I am skier so I like snow but it can be more of a burden than a pleasure in everyday life.:( Hey, is there anywhere to ski (downhill) in Finland?:confused:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Hey, is there anywhere to ski (downhill) in Finland?:confused:

According to the natives everything is downhill in Finland. :p

Second favourite location would be Schloss Brunwald.

161.jpg

Rain. Lightning. Castle. Genuine Nazis!

Finn

Staff member
Stoo said:
Hey, is there anywhere to ski (downhill) in Finland?:confused:
Sure. Plenty of places, all over the country. While we don't have anything you'd exactly call a mountain, there's still more than enough fells, ridges and big hills around to set up a course.

Montana Smith said:
According to the natives everything is downhill in Finland.
Watch it, Monty. Keep hogging up the puns I wanted to use, and I'll have to make up some excuse to send you away.

goodeknight said:
...Tunisian Cairo market...I even like the market scene in CS. :eek:

The maket scene was so densly packed, it's too bad it was simply one single straight stretch to the asylum/nunery.

Cairo really has some nice colors/angles.

Montana Smith said:
My problem with The Temple of the Sun is that it's overtly somewhere more famous. So if Indy went to Petra would he experience déjà vu?

There are other similar sites, but I wonder how known it was in 1989...

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
There are other similar sites, but I wonder how known it was in 1989...

Discovered by the 'Western world' in 1812. Defended by T.E. Lawrence in 1917 against a Turkish and German force.

But, more significantly,

The site suffers from a host of threats, including collapse of ancient structures, erosion due to flooding and improper rainwater drainage, weathering from salt upwelling, improper restoration of ancient structures, and unsustainable tourism.[18] ...

In an attempt to reduce the impact of these threats, Petra National Trust (PNT) was established in 1989.
Petra today

On December 6, 1985, Petra was designated a World Heritage Site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petra#T._E._Lawrence_.28Lawrence_of_Arabia.29

It's a problem when you introduce a recognizable site as something else, its couterpart either disappears or remains as a mysterious carbon copy, right down to the terrain itself.

Finn

Staff member
Montana Smith said:
It's a problem when you introduce a recognizable site as something else, its couterpart either disappears or remains as a mysterious carbon copy, right down to the terrain itself.
Mysterious? Hardly. The terrain issue apart, having buildings that look highly similar in wildly different locations isn't exactly rare in our reality either. For example, there are remains of Roman and Greek ruins all over the Mediterranean that looked highly similar in their heyday. In fact, didn't the Romans have a practice that when they expanded to new territory, they built at least one temple which was as close copy of a building back in the City of Rome as possible...

So Petra exists in Dr. Jones' reality as well, but whoever built the Grail Temple decided, for one reason or another, to make it an intentional copy of Al Khazneh. Maybe that was the place where the cup was stashed at first, then relocated? After all, the real one's original purpose is mystery to the historians so there's plenty of room to mix a little fact and fiction.

Hell, even the building's name fits for said theory. The Treasury.

Montana Smith said:
Discovered by the 'Western world' in 1812. Defended by T.E. Lawrence in 1917 against a Turkish and German force.
I still wonder how well known it was before it became part of Indy-lore, (wikia not withstanding).

Montana Smith said:

I'm not grasping your point...or the logic of it.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'm not grasping your point...or the logic of it.

Petra is a pretty unique location carved from rock. It's not just a building which can be copied and built in another location. It is part of the location.

In Indy's world there either exists two identical copies of Petra , including an identical canyon, which would be mysterious, or else Petra doesn't exist.

Ergo, Indy's friend Lawrence could not have defended it in 1917. ;)

Montana Smith said:
Petra is a pretty unique location carved from rock. It's not just a building which can be copied and built in another location. It is part of the location.

In Indy's world there either exists two identical copies of Petra , including an identical canyon, which would be mysterious, or else Petra doesn't exist.

Ergo, Indy's friend Lawrence could not have defended it in 1917. ;)

I won't say its identical, however:

In 'Canyon of the Crescent Moon,' 2,000-Year-Old Paintings Re-Emerge

Cave%20Paintings%20in%20Jordan_604x341.jpg

At a cave complex in Beidha, nicknamed "Little Petra", about three miles from the rock carved city of Petra, ancient wall paintings are being restored.

The antiquities department has announced the discovery of an ancient city to the north of the famed city, and is working to restore 2,000-year-old Hellenistic-style wall paintings found there.

Conservation experts almost gave up when they first saw the severely damaged wall paintings they had come to rescue in the ancient city of Petra, cloaked for centuries in grimy soot from bedouin camp fires, the blackened murals appeared beyond repair.

But three years of restoration revealed intricate and brightly-colored artwork, and some of the very few surviving examples of 2,000-year-old Hellenistic wall painting.

Some hope the Petra paintings will help to fill some of the gaps in art historians' knowledge of the transition from Greek to Roman paintings.

"The paintings show a lot of external influences from the ancient world and are as good as, or better than, some of the Roman paintings you see, for example at Pompei," Rickerby said.

"This has immense art-historical importance, reflecting a synthesis of Hellenistic-Roman cultural influences," he added.

This was an article from two years ago, which accounts for my doubt regarding how well known the treasury was before 89.