Gym Training

NonStop

It would be interesting to know how much work Shia and Harrison did to get fit for this film. I heard Shia gained loads of muscle, but is it just me or does he not just look normal, not muscular at all?

oki9Sedo

NonStop said:
It would be interesting to know how much work Shia and Harrison did to get fit for this film. I heard Shia gained loads of muscle, but is it just me or does he not just look normal, not muscular at all?

He looks a little more muscular than he did in Transformers, but to be honest it looks more from just growing up a year and physically maturing than from working out.

I just watched Firewall yesterday. Harrison is clearly in better shape in Crystal Skull. Those 6 months dieting and training paid off.

|ZiR|

I think I remember reading on Wikipedia* that Shia had to lose something like 10lbs, then gain 18lbs in muscle for the role of Mutt. He certainly looks trimmer to me, and his biceps are larger than they were in Disturbia. (Not that I notice that kind of thing.)

Supposedly Harrison hit the gym for 3 hours every day in preparation for the film, and ate a high protein diet of lean fish and poultry.

*AKA the most reliable source of information on the web.

oki9Sedo said:
I just watched Firewall yesterday. Harrison is clearly in better shape in Crystal Skull. Those 6 months dieting and training paid off.

Oh-ho! Six months, was it? Wow. He looks a lot better than he did in Firewall, but you'd think there might a bit more than that for six months. But it's not like Ford was ever out of shape, really. He still had an awesome bod in What Lies Beneath.

oki9Sedo

|ZiR| said:
I think I remember reading on Wikipedia* that Shia had to lose something like 10lbs, then gain 18lbs in muscle for the role of Mutt. He certainly looks trimmer to me, and his biceps are larger than they were in Disturbia. (Not that I notice that kind of thing.)

He does look bigger, but again, it looks more like its related to growing up than from working out.

Supposedly Harrison hit the gym for 3 hours every day in preparation for the film, and ate a high protein diet of lean fish and poultry.

All the experts say you should limit your workout to one hour max, since you're cortisol levels (a catabolic hormone) rise beyond that point and you do more harm than good. So three hours was excessive. And every day? You need days off to recover.

But yeah, eating a diet low in carbs, high in protein, good fats, vegetables and fruits is the best way to lose fat.

deckard24

oki9Sedo said:
He does look bigger, but again, it looks more like its related to growing up than from working out.

All the experts say you should limit your workout to one hour max, since you're cortisol levels (a catabolic hormone) rise beyond that point and you do more harm than good. So three hours was excessive. And every day? You need days off to recover.

But yeah, eating a diet low in carbs, high in protein, good fats, vegetables and fruits is the best way to lose fat.
Shia looks a bit bigger I agree, but not a huge difference from Transformers and Distubia! If anything he just looks older to me, more mature.

Ford shows the most improvement physically, but yeah it's not like the guy has ever been in poor shape! To look like he did in What Lies Beneath at 58 is damn impressive, and now to be just as ripped at 65 is nuts! I wonder if they gave him any HGH at all, considering his age and plummeting testosterone levels? 3 hours sounds pretty extreme, and hard to believe. I read that too a while back, but an hour of weights with a circuit training regimine 3 days a week, plus 6 days of a cardio and a day of rest would be plenty to get him in shape. This coupled with a healthy high protein/low carb diet, and plenty of supplements would do the trick.

NonStop

oki9Sedo said:

Yeah, Shia does look like he has juist grown up

I had to agree threee hours does seem excessive, though I'm not sure about maximum one hour workout, many martial artists, runners, boxers etc do way more. I personally have 3 days a week of boxing, then the other 3 days I do a 2 mile run, follwed by an hour and a hla fin the gym.

oki9Sedo

NonStop said:
Yeah, Shia does look like he has juist grown up

I had to agree threee hours does seem excessive, though I'm not sure about maximum one hour workout, many martial artists, runners, boxers etc do way more. I personally have 3 days a week of boxing, then the other 3 days I do a 2 mile run, follwed by an hour and a hla fin the gym.

All the experts in the know say you should limit your workouts to one hour.

In any case, its mostly diet anyway. High protein, high good fats, low bad fats, low carbs, and lots of fruit and vegetables will do it. All you need to drink is water.

NonStop

oki9Sedo said:
All the experts in the know say you should limit your workouts to one hour.

In any case, its mostly diet anyway. High protein, high good fats, low bad fats, low carbs, and lots of fruit and vegetables will do it. All you need to drink is water.

Thats my diet pretty much, lol...

Well, all I am saying is lots of many respected people in their physical profesion do more, and need to. Also, it depends on what exactly. An hour of stamina, or weights?

oki9Sedo

NonStop said:
Thats my diet pretty much, lol...

Well, all I am saying is lots of many respected people in their physical profesion do more, and need to. Also, it depends on what exactly. An hour of stamina, or weights?

Everything, as far as I know. Strength, hypertrophy, fat loss, aerobic endurance etc.

oki9Sedo

NonStop said:
I don't buy that. Loook at boxers, their training goes on for hours.

Well there's alot of scientific evidence to support it.

In any case, I find I can definitely do alot in the gym in one hour.

The Man

Ford surely kept in fair trim these last few years. He was in good shape for Hollywood Homicide, too.