Hats off to Shia

Kernunnos

I'd like to make a bit of a U-turn with regards to Shia and his character, Mutt, who I've said one or two 'unkind' things about.

I was wrong. Apart from two goofy scenes (which he pulled off quite well) he didn't annoy me at all, and his character fitted in well.

Last week, I was spitting blood when Lucas touted the possibility of another movie with Mutt being the main man. Even though I'm still not particularly sold on the idea, I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt now.

Anybody else pleasantly surprised that Mutt wasn't the irritating little twat many of us feared he might be?

Last edited:

Jawad M

I agree wholeheartedly. Shia is a talented actor and although I wasn't inclined towards him when he was announced last year but after seeing Disturbia and Transformers I had a good feeling about him and yes he fits perfectly well in his role

Kernunnos said:
I'd like to make a bit of a U-turn with regards to Shia and his character, Mutt, who I've said one or two 'unkind' things about.

I was wrong. Apart from two goofy scenes (which he pulled off quite well) he didn't annoy me at all, and his character fitted in well.

Last week, I was spitting blood when Lucas touted the possibility of another movie with Mutt being the main man. Even though I'm still not particularly sold on the idea, I'd be enclined to give them the benefit of the doubt now.

Anybody else pleasantly surprised that Mutt wasn't the irritating little twat many of us feared he might be?

Twilightpro101

I've liked Shia in his other movies, didn't have any issue here, but I'd prefer another Indy movie focusing on Indy, not Lucas' plan for Indy 5.

acsgrlie

Shia's certainly come a long way from his annoying kid image on the Disney channel. His movie choices have been excellent so far and I think he's a really talented actor with great comedic timing.

Twilightpro101 said:
I've liked Shia in his other movies, didn't have any issue here, but I'd prefer another Indy movie focusing on Indy, not Lucas' plan for Indy 5.

Well, Shia seemed to denounce those rumors with Ford on their TRL appearance, but the future shall prove if he really meant it.

Ska

Other than "the scene" (which had nothing to do with his acting...it was the fact that it was in the script at all), I've yet to hear anything bad about Shia playing Mutt.

I personally think he did a great job. So I 100% agree, hats off to Shia!

UKIndyFan

Absolutely love Shia...usually. He was just annoying in this movie. He was like Willie Scott but just not funny. Indy had to guide him through everything. I loved the last part cos he just got so owned. I wont mention it though since its pretty spoileriffic. I actually had that thought for a minute that they were actuallly about to 'ya know but then thank the lord they never

G-Man

Really liked Shia, he was a great sidekick, but I don't see his role as a starring one in future movies, there didn't seem to be enough of a character there...

IAdventurer01

Shia pulled off the Mutt role very well, I thought. The character himself blended well in the movie and one a place in my heart as a very official Indiana Jones character. However, I do agree with the sentiments that if there is another Indy movie, while it could have the character, should still be Indiana Jones and the something - not Mutt Williams and the something. Heck, if they were to do that, they might as well have a Short Round movie, too!

Ste2652

Shia definitely did a good job at playing Mutt - he was definitely not the 'Jar Jar' people that some were fearing.

As others have said, he's a talented actor and a welcome addition to the Indy franchise.

Goonie

I agree too. Shia was great! At first I thought he'd be a weakness for the movie, but he turnded out good. Looking forward to seeing him in Eagle Eye and Transformers 2.

SPECTER

I have always thought he was a good actor but I wasnt sure about his character. after seeing the movie I really like him in it.

LostArk

I thought he'd be an annoying character but he was actually pretty good. Became one of my fave characters in the motorcycle chase scene and he was awesome when he helped everyone escape from the campsite.

Salacious

IndyFan89 said:
MUTT WAS AWSOME!!! What a bad ass. He is definetly Indy's boy and i think i would go see a Mutt Jones movie!!!

I havent seen the movie, but I can tell you this...I will not go see a Mutt Jones or Williams or whatever movie. :sick: :sick:

indytim

Having never been able to make my mind up about Shia (hated 'Transformers' but not because of his performance) I approached his appearance in this movie with a great deal of trepidation ... and he completely won me over. Great verbal sparring with Harrison, more than capable in the action scenes and a deft touch at comic timing. Nice work, Shia! For one, I would like to see more of Henry Jones III! (y)

deckard24

He did a great job in the film, but I'm still not convinced he's ready or able to take over the franchise! I still hope this is it, and KOTCS is the last installment, case closed. Shia looks like he'll be great in Eagle Eye, and I'm sure he'll have plenty of other great roles in the future, but I hope taking over for Ford isn't one of them!!

He definitely gets a hats off:hat: as one of the most redeemable qualities of KOTCS!